What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This is my first exposure to his music--it's very enjoyable. Sort of like Scarlatti but perhaps with a bit more meat on his bones! Excellent playing and sound.

Reactions: Vicov and NorthStar

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I particularly like Michael Berkeley's Sonata.

Reactions: NorthStar

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Tuneful, neo-Romantic music--what a concept. Very well played and recorded.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
A recital of staggering virtuosity and and a throwback to the Golden Era of piano playing. He even looks a little like a young Liszt!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Perhaps not the most attractive cover, but the extroverted playing and wonderful sound make up for it. I love his use of the 16' stop at dramatic points. (Mine is a 24/96 FLAC from Hyperion--couldn't find it on Qobuz or Tidal, but I'm happy to pay for it!)

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Stunning playing and quite good sound for a 50 year old recording.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This is a wonderful new release. Fantastic playing and sound (Qobuz 24/192).

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
In a word, superb.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Turning to late Beethoven in an attempt to escape the horrors being perpetrated in the US.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
performed on an original instrument built by Franz Brodmann c. 1820

rec. 1987
CD_8011_1024x1024.jpg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Aside from the Romantic Orchestral masterpieces, I often listen to Romantic piano. Here's one I can't stop playing lately. The Brahms symphonies need no introduction, but I really didn't appreciate Brahms truly was among the most highly regarded of all the "12-tone" piano composers. This disc showcases his masterful piano compositions beautifully. Gorgeous pianism by Volodos as well. I have the CD but Qobuz 24/96 is its equal or perhaps a wee bit better in the lower register than the CD burned to my NAS drive. Thoroughly wonderful disc, well recorded by Sony in the Berlin Teldec studio.

Volodos.jpg

Volodos 2.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I've enjoyed this via Tidal, so I bought a hi-res (24/96) FLAC version--there's no comparison in sound--the FLAC is vastly more transparent, detailed, and dynamic. Of course, the playing remains at the same great level.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
To all you Classical fiends out there, I have a question:

My system, with Avant Grade Horns, almost too often renders male opera singers with a somewhat harsh glare.
Female voices are almost always great. In fact the male classical voice is the only instrument my speakers have
a problem with.

This is pretty frustrating and I wonder if there is quality to the male operatic voice that is hard for mikes to capture
without glare? Or perhaps it's an unfortunate combination with my horn speakers?

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For male vocals the chest/ midbass is important. Is the glare due to hardness in the chest?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To all you Classical fiends out there, I have a question:

My system, with Avant Grade Horns, almost too often renders male opera singers with a somewhat harsh glare.
Female voices are almost always great. In fact the male classical voice is the only instrument my speakers have
a problem with.

This is pretty frustrating and I wonder if there is quality to the male operatic voice that is hard for mikes to capture
without glare? Or perhaps it's an unfortunate combination with my horn speakers?

Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks

What do you mean by harsh glare? A metallic shoutiness when the singer raises his voice loudly? That can very well be a characteristic of the voice itself, I have heard it live, without microphone. It's not necessarily always the case, or at least not always to a large extent. If your system/speakers introduce additional colorations is impossible to tell without hearing it.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Metallic might be a good adjective to add to glare. And it's definitely worsened when the singer is really belting out intense air. In the case of Debussy's Peleus and Mellisande, it's only the bass baritone playing Count Golard who has the uncomfortable glare in his voice. The baritone for Peleus and the two other bass vocalists are fine. The mezzo soprano is perfect.

I heard this opera at the Lincoln Center and did not hear the glare in Golard's voice.

My hunch is that microphones have a hard time with the intensity of some classical male voices and my horn speakers don't anything to tame what the mike picks up. It's a shame.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Metallic might be a good adjective to add to glare. And it's definitely worsened when the singer is really belting out intense air. In the case of Debussy's Peleus and Mellisande, it's only the bass baritone playing Count Golard who has the uncomfortable glare in his voice. The baritone for Peleus and the two other bass vocalists are fine. The mezzo soprano is perfect.

I heard this opera at the Lincoln Center and did not hear the glare in Golard's voice.

My hunch is that microphones have a hard time with the intensity of some classical male voices and my horn speakers don't anything to tame what the mike picks up. It's a shame.

Three things here:

1. This can very much depend on individual voices and on acoustics of the venue. I heard Schnitke's opera "Life with an Idiot" in the opera house Amsterdam in the early Nineties, and all the voices sounded metallic and slightly thin. On the Sony CD they sounded warm.

2. If the bass and baritone voices sound good on your system, while the bass baritone in the middle of that range does not sound pleasing to you, it does not seem that your speakers are at fault. They just reproduce what's on the recording.

3. Why would you want your system to tame anything? A forgiving system will never sound better than "good" on anything because it suppresses information, and thus resolution and tonal differentiation. An honest system that reproduces what is on the recording may not always sound pleasant, but it is the only type of system that has the chance of sounding excellent when the recording is that way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing