What cables are you using in your system ?????

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Checked it, thanks

So why do you make your assertion? Not looking to argue, just looking to understand the basis of claim

Sorry for the delay!

Metallurgy is the prime factor in how a cable will sound, UPOCC silver is the most resolving material with the least side-effects. The Neotech (and my own wire which is made by Neotech) OCC silver/gold alloy sounds nearly the same but has better tone/timbre. One of the only drawbacks to UPOCC silver is the tone is a little thin, the gold alloying element solves that issue. Other cable companies use heavier gauge UPOCC silver to fix it, both Wireworld and Siltech use 17g UPOCC silver in their highest end interconnect cables, which is huge overkill but gives them the tone they are looking for. Other materials have their own issues that are generally much worse vs UPOCC silver... copper is warm and smooths out detail but KS, Jorma, Tara and others do make some really nice copper cables that approach the resolution of UPOCC silver. Many people prefer that warmth and with a system that uses, just for example, big SS amps and Accuton drivers, the warmth compliments and smooths out some of the drivers imperfections, and the drivers are so detailed to begin with that most don't miss the detail the copper cables smooth out. IMO, and for my goals, which is a system that recreates the acoustics of the recording venue and other fine detail, UPOCC silver goes a long way towards accomplishing my goals and suits my preferences, and suits the systems I tend to prefer as well, which are high efficiency speakers with SET amps.

Also, cables make for poor tone controls because there are side-effects to warmth or brightness... I believe the preamp is the best place to fine tune things to your preferences, using vacuum tubes of course... :) Cables should be as clear, resolving and neutral as possible for best overall results.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
Sorry for the delay!

Metallurgy is the prime factor in how a cable will sound, UPOCC silver is the most resolving material with the least side-effects. The Neotech (and my own wire which is made by Neotech) OCC silver/gold alloy sounds nearly the same but has better tone/timbre. One of the only drawbacks to UPOCC silver is the tone is a little thin, the gold alloying element solves that issue. Other cable companies use heavier gauge UPOCC silver to fix it, both Wireworld and Siltech use 17g UPOCC silver in their highest end interconnect cables, which is huge overkill but gives them the tone they are looking for. Other materials have their own issues that are generally much worse vs UPOCC silver... copper is warm and smooths out detail but KS, Jorma, Tara and others do make some really nice copper cables that approach the resolution of UPOCC silver. Many people prefer that warmth and with a system that uses, just for example, big SS amps and Accuton drivers, the warmth compliments and smooths out some of the drivers imperfections, and the drivers are so detailed to begin with that most don't miss the detail the copper cables smooth out. IMO, and for my goals, which is a system that recreates the acoustics of the recording venue and other fine detail, UPOCC silver goes a long way towards accomplishing my goals and suits my preferences, and suits the systems I tend to prefer as well, which are high efficiency speakers with SET amps.

Also, cables make for poor tone controls because there are side-effects to warmth or brightness... I believe the preamp is the best place to fine tune things to your preferences, using vacuum tubes of course... :) Cables should be as clear, resolving and neutral as possible for best overall results.

Thanks for the background. I certainly can't disagree with your last sentence. I think the basic metallurgical aspects are empirical and not well understood but as long as the results of the cookery work then we are all happy.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
My system is mainly dCS, Gryphon and Magico.

I am using Ansuz all the way from power cords to signal cables. It is strange that only Raidho community is aware of these cables but they created wonders in my non-Raidho system too.

I used Transparent and Shunyata cables for the last 10 years but Ansuz changed my view on cables.

Reactions: Mikeeo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My system is mainly dCS, Gryphon and Magico.

I am using Ansuz all the way from power cords to signal cables. It is strange that only Raidho community is aware of these cables but they created wonders in my non-Raidho system too.

I used Transparent and Shunyata cables for the last 10 years but Ansuz changed my view on cables.

I preferred Ansuz C much more when I compared them to Odin.

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
For sometime now I'm using DIY interconnects and Phono cables made using multiple solid 7N copper strands and "custom geometry".All with the exception of the arm cables are unshielded.
Speaker cables are furukawa FF-20 12awg OCC-A solid cores.
Power cables include acoustic revive power reference solid core and a few DIY on a similar design using again 7N solid copper wires.
The system has its own dedicated power line with a 10AWG OCC-A solid OCC-A shielded cable.
I have stopped experimenting for sometime now, I guess that I'm very happy with the results in my system. :)

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
Hi all.

I'm using MasterBuilt Audio's Ultra speaker cables, balanced interconnects in my system with MB's Signature power cords. My speakers, the VR100XS system, are also internally wired with Ultra cabling, the first in the VSA line to have Ultra inside. I've not yet heard the MB Ultra power cords. I first got the MB Signature series in 2011.

Best, Robert

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Using Furutech wire and connectors, here. :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Recently bought and received some Morrow Audio PH5 phono cables. Ordered them with a short (96hrs) burn-in, but I have a while to go as Mike Morrow claims they'll take about 400 hrs to reach their full potential. I'm encouraged so far.

I like this Morrow PH-5 phono cable so much I'm going to Trade-up to the PH-6 and also buy the MA-4 interconnects for my CD/SACD player.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I use NBS Statement,Pro,and Master for my core cables which I purchased many years ago. I also have a Nirvana digital cable. For my subs and R2R I use Gepco quad mic cable and for my psycho speakers I use Monster copper speaker cable.

I really don't think conductor metal composition is the overriding factor in cables. Cables perform a main function to transport the audio signal through the audio system. If the shield is designed well to limit SCIN and common mode noise and the shield is terminated well then you will have more signal then noise. Once you remove the noise and there are other options other than just cable design then you start to make major sonic advances and the conductor makeup is just a tone control. IMHO

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Just bought Stealth Dream V14 speaker cables and all Acoustic Zen Absolute silver pc's.

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I'm not sure whether to call my CPT Equi=Core 300s cables, or conditioners. The E=Q 300 , rated for 300 watts load, is actually a Balanced Power device using a proprietary transformer to split the 120V into 2 out of phase 60V halves, and when they are recombined the non zero summed noise is drained to ground, lowering the noise floor dramatically. I've had such good results on my front end equipment that I'm buying an E=Q 1800 model so my entire system can be plugged in to balanced power. Their trial period is 30 days, and if it doesn't impress shipping is covered both ways, really a no cost eval.
What I get from the E=Q300 is a lower noise floor that lets low level details formerly buried to pop right out, the increased detail may also be responsible for the wider, deeper soundstage, more separation between instuments, and best of I don't have any backward steps in dynamic swings I got with some AC conditioners.

Keithtexas

Jan 4, 2018
New to the forum.
Just purchased MIT HD60 speaker cables and MIT HD 36 interconnects.
Still breaking in but will try to keep the forum posted regarding my impressions.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I went through many cables but kept coming back to Transparent Reference for signal cables and Shunyata for power. I'm at a point in my life I just want to enjoy the music and not swapping out and "audition" gear all the time, so this is what I have been using for a few years and no intent to change.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hello Dskip.
Born in West Texas, college at UT/Austin, oil and gas career, mostly here in Houston.

My in-laws are all in the oil industry down that ways. I like to visit but would never want to live there with that humidity!

Keithtexas

Jan 4, 2018
My in-laws are all in the oil industry down that ways. I like to visit but would never want to live there with that humidity!

Well, it's certainly not a first choice or top retirement destination, but if you're in the industry there are more opportunities here than most anywhere else. I've raised a family and gotten 4 kids through college so I have learned to put up with the humidity for other priorities. :)

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
AQ Everest - silver - loudspeaker cable
AQ WEL - silver - signal cable
AQ Hurricane - copper - power cable
AQ NRG-10 - copper - power cable
AQ Diamond USB - silver - USB cable
IsoTek Optimum EVO3 - silver plated OCC - power cable

Good cables are crucial in hi-end audio! They don't bring anything special in the system but by connecting different equipment they must not limit their performance. And most cables unfortunately do that... Often people never listen to their amps, sources or loudspeakers but their cables which seriously impede with the performance of their amazing gear...

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
Been thru many IC over the last forty years.Some were former A rated wires.Never found any of them to be free from colourations.They all changed the sound.I have always been one to seek out more detail from the music,and have purchased gear that strives to meet my goals.If someone can't hear differences in cables, then perhaps they just don't listen close enough or their system isn't geared to do so.I know some like to be lulled into the music and for them detailed sound isn't for them.
What I am enjoying now and for the least amount of money spent,(except the Furutech top RCA)are the DIY cables using Dueland wire.You can read about them on Positive Feedback.They really are about the least coloured cables I have used.They aren't warm, they aren't sterile or harsh.To me they are the EL 84 of wire.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing