What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I now have added another cartridge.
After waiting since March, I got a Lyra Kleos SL. It is the "Single Layer" version of the Kleos with a 0.25mv output. Sounds real good with my Tron Syren preamp. Real nice with vocals in the limited listening I have done with it.
I was using an Ortofon MC Windfeld for a while then in the last three months I have added a Dynavector XV-1s, and a Kondo IO-M. I have only one tonearm right now, but would like to add a second, and I will be investigating options at RMAF. The IO-M will be taking a break. I sold my second phonostage so no MM option to run the matching Kondo transformer.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have a Lyra Atlas on a Tri planar arm and a clear audio statement table with a burmester phono 100

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have a current Goldfinger cartridge that has a broken cantilever.
Anyone want to buy it? It can be re-tipped which is really a new cartridge.

Any interest just message me and make an offer

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I mounted a new Koetsu Coralstone yesterday. I've lusted after one for the past couple of years. My lust has been rewarded. Only 7 hours on it and it is FANTASTIC! I've been listening exclusively to a Goldfinger Statement for the past few years, actually on my second one. This is going to be an interesting showdown. I'm surprised at how good the Coralstone is already.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I mounted a new Koetsu Coralstone yesterday. I've lusted after one for the past couple of years. My lust has been rewarded. Only 7 hours on it and it is FANTASTIC! I've been listening exclusively to a Goldfinger Statement for the past few years, actually on my second one. This is going to be an interesting showdown. I'm surprised at how good the Coralstone is already.

You can't beat a Coralstone, you can always get different sound favors with the uber line carts. Just watch your cantilever. $4,500 is a tough pill to swallow for Coralstone carelessness like I Have experienced lately.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
You can't beat a Coralstone, you can always get different sound favors with the uber line carts. Just watch your cantilever. $4,500 is a tough pill to swallow for Coralstone carelessness like I Have experienced lately.

I'm having a tough time with the "hidden stylus". Hard to get a brush to it. The Goldfinger is right there in your face. Maybe easier to break but certainly easier to see and clean.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Congratulations Frank. I think Koetsu and SME is a combination that has gone way back.

You and Christian seem to have similar tastes, at least as far as cartridges, amps and cables go. Please keep us updated on how you think the Coralstone compares to your Goldfinger.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank, what kind of alignment protractor do you use?

Was going to get the Mint but now I'd need 2 of them so I held off. I just used the standard SME set up for now. Looking at different options.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Was going to get the Mint but now I'd need 2 of them so I held off. I just used the standard SME set up for now. Looking at different options.

I'll look into it. Thanks!

I'll tell you Peter, I'm sitting here with my mouth open in amazement at what I'm hearing from this Coralstone.....wow!!
I wasn't expecting this. It's kinda blowing the doors off the Goldfinger already. Top to bottom, clarity, zero distortion. Not a hint of glare or harshness. It is really something.

Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Very curious to see how the Kleos Sl compares to your other carts. I'm running one on a Classic 3D into an EAR SUT 6ohm / Lamm LP2. I absolutely love it, I listen to mostly rock and it tracks everything.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I had the Goldfinger for a few months. When I heard the Coralstone, the Goldfinger got sold. The Coralstone is a thing of beauty, especially on these SME tables.

number95

May 14, 2014
Can anybody who tried both Azule and Coralstone comment on how these Koetsus compare to each other?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing