What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Hey Jack, you can send that poor old A90 to me and I will give it a good home on my SME 312s!

LOL. All this talk about it having a short life spooked me a bit. I'm just giving the guy a break. He'll be back in soon enough. The thing is the A90 is a great all-rounder. The other carts do some things better, some a lot better. When in a state of multi-arm and cart lunacy and being able to switch between them literally takes seconds it's easy for a fantastic all-rounder to go less played. If I were forced to live with just one cart I already own, it would be easily in the top 3. Fortunately I don't have to make the choice for the top one. It would be too difficult.

That's a great spot to be in Jack.

LOL. All this talk about it having a short life spooked me a bit. I'm just giving the guy a break. He'll be back in soon enough. The thing is the A90 is a great all-rounder. The other carts do some things better, some a lot better. When in a state of multi-arm and cart lunacy and being able to switch between them literally takes seconds it's easy for a fantastic all-rounder to go less played. If I were forced to live with just one cart I already own, it would be easily in the top 3. Fortunately I don't have to make the choice for the top one. It would be too difficult.

Jack, it's not lunacy - cartridges are easier to switch out than loudspeakers :D We are usually forced to live with one loudspeaker. Not with cartridges, especially when you have a table that would take multiple arms.

Especially if that loudspeaker is a G1! :D Then again if I had G1s, "forced" would not be the word I'd use. I think "fortunate" would be a better fit. :)

Hi Jack,

With regards to your post #160, you are always welcome to come over to my place to listen to the A90.

Hi Sam,

We did last week :) I enjoyed the comparison between your A90 on the Ikeda and your Tiger Eye Diamond on the Koetsu FR although my focus was more on the modded Maggies. If I recall correctly you set yours up a month or two before I did mine. Time sure flies. I remember taking the delivery from Ryan when we were still living in WW.

Say, don't you have a winfield generator like the one Gary posted? I seem to recall seeing a cart in your collection that looked like that.

Hi Jack,

Time does fly and the older we get, the faster time flies.

If you are referring to post #146, I think I have one of those "unicorns". It is a cartridge created by Dr. Sao Win. I can have it mounted if you'd like to hear it.

Hi Jack,

Time does fly and the older we get, the faster time flies.

If you are referring to post #146, I think I have one of those "unicorns". It is a cartridge created by Dr. Sao Win. I can have it mounted if you'd like to hear it.

Mullard, if you have one of those Sao Win unicorns, I would very much appreciate it if you could mount it and let me know your impressions. The one we have is extremely noisy. We speculate that it is due to the field effect elements having been deteriorated by exposure to oxygen. Without the cartridge connected, the included amplifier is totally quiet - and we don't know if it auto-mutes.

Do you know how many of these were made?

Hi Gary,

Mine did not come with an amplifier. I did not pay enough attention to the next picture but I looked at mine under a magnifying lens last night after Jack called my attention to it and mine looked exactly like the one in the picture you posted. Can you try to play the one you have without using the amplifier? I play mine straight into the mc input of my phono stage. The stylus of this cartridge is extremely small, even smaller than a Koetsu stylus, almost invisible to my eyes. I have no idea how many of these were made. This is one of my favorites and when I asked if I could purchase a second unit. I was told that with Dr. Sao Win, no one can find him, but he will find you.

Sam

Hi Gary,

Mine did not come with an amplifier. I did not pay enough attention to the next picture but I looked at mine under a magnifying lens last night after Jack called my attention to it and mine looked exactly like the one in the picture you posted. Can you try to play the one you have without using the amplifier? I play mine straight into the mc input of my phono stage. The stylus of this cartridge is extremely small, even smaller than a Koetsu stylus, almost invisible to my eyes. I have no idea how many of these were made. This is one of my favorites and when I asked if I could purchase a second unit. I was told that with Dr. Sao Win, no one can find him, but he will find you.

Sam

Thanks, Sam. I will try it, but from the owner's manual in the box, it says that the cartridge needs a bias voltage that is supplied by their amplifier. From what I recall, Dr Sao Win made several cartridges, including a strain gauge in the same body. That was why we initially thought that it was a strain gauge when we saw the box.

Hi Gary,

Let me know what happens after you try it.

Could it be that Dr. Sao Win's cartridges all have the same look?

Welcome U.H.! :b
welcome2.gif

* Yeah, what andromedaaudio just said above; regarding your picture size. :b

Bob

Looks like your LP needs some Head and Shoulders.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing