What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Mounted this afternoon.

Takeda Miyabi MCA with Q4 stylus = EXPLOSIVE!:D

IMGP1511.jpg

Hello Taksil, very nice Myiabi-Takeda San MCA; how does it like holding the groves while riding upside down? :cool:

Hi,

Installed yesterday a Benz Micro LP-S, on a Kuzma Reference/313 VTA tonearm setup. Previous cartridge was the Ortofon A90, an excellent piece by any means. I wasn't expecting this, but the Benz sounds a whole lot better than the Ortofon, fuller sound, and it's not even broken it yet. It also tracks a million times better than the A90, with a lot less noise.

This hobby is indeed crazy...

alexandre

A Game Changer

9a5x52.jpg

Fidelity Research FR-1 Mk3F
(rebuilt & modified in Japan 2012)

Hi,

Installed yesterday a Benz Micro LP-S, on a Kuzma Reference/313 VTA tonearm setup. Previous cartridge was the Ortofon A90, an excellent piece by any means. I wasn't expecting this, but the Benz sounds a whole lot better than the Ortofon, fuller sound, and it's not even broken it yet. It also tracks a million times better than the A90, with a lot less noise.

This hobby is indeed crazy...

alexandre

If I wasn't hung up on the Atlas, the Benz would be my second choice :) Sounded wonderful the last two years in the Vandy room at CES (mounted in the Clearaudio, two years ago and the AMG/Benz table this year)!

This is currently being made for me. It is a brand new design.I am very excited about this!According to the maker the parts still need some finer machining and finishing off. Looks fine to me!

blue2g.jpg

blue.jpg

Technics strain gauge?

I am currently using a Technics strain gauge with a Dave Slagel drive. I have an ElectroVoice strain gauge, too. I haven't found a way to mount it, and it needs a retip, so I may never hear it...too many projects, too little time.

I have also just received a Blue Angel Mantis which is a new generation that addresses the issues of earlier versions, but I haven't tried it, yet. It has a Lignum Vitae body and a Fritz Gyger II tip on a tapered aluminum cantilever. That makes it a bit different from jdza's new Blue Angel.

I guess I get the cookie for that one, right jdza? :D

Win

Last edited:
I am currently using a Technics strain gauge with a Dave Slagel drive. I have an ElectroVoice strain gauge, too. I haven't found a way to mount it, and it needs a retip, so I may never hear it...too many projects, too little time.

I have also just received a Blue Angel Mantis which is a new generation that addresses the issues of earlier versions, but I haven't tried it, yet. It has a Lignum Vitae body and a Fritz Gyger II tip on a tapered aluminum cantilever. That makes it a bit different from jdza's new Blue Angel.

I guess I get the cookie for that one, right jdza? :D

Win

Gmmpff.Not fair- You recognised the matchstick!

Gmmpff.Not fair- You recognised the matchstick!

hehe.

If you haven't owned a Mantis before, expect something a bit different. It is supremely tonally correct, but it doesn't hide anything with extra splash, sizzle, warmth, etc. What it does is give an honest presentation, and that isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's mine, though. :D

Win

hehe.

If you haven't owned a Mantis before, expect something a bit different. It is supremely tonally correct, but it doesn't hide anything with extra splash, sizzle, warmth, etc. What it does is give an honest presentation, and that isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's mine, though. :D

Win

From what I understand this will be a totally different cart from the Mantis,but using some of the construction techniques and lessons learnt.So far Andre calls it the Dingus. I am sure he'll come up with an innovative name.

hehe.

Win

Mine as well!

Win strain gauge with a Soundsmith retip?

It's a Win Field Effect Transducer. First one I've seen - it belongs to Mr Winston Ma.

He said that it was one of three interesting cartridges he owns. We were going to use if for an upcoming project with two other cartridges (there will be more info on this project later). When he handed us the box last week, we thought that it was a Win Strain Gauge - until we took the Owner's Manual out just prior to mounting it on the turntable.

None of us had seen one before. We had only heard about it, like the proverbial sasquatch or unicorn.

It's a Win Field Effect Transducer. First one I've seen - it belongs to Mr Winston Ma.

He said that it was one of three interesting cartridges he owns. We were going to use if for an upcoming project with two other cartridges (there will be more info on this project later). When he handed us the box last week, we thought that it was a Win Strain Gauge - until we took the Owner's Manual out just prior to mounting it on the turntable.

None of us had seen one before. We had only heard about it, like the proverbial sasquatch or unicorn.

Is that like the Weathers from yesteryear?

I changed my cart rotation a bit a couple of months ago when I added a third arm and a second turntable. Right now I have the A90 on the Phantom I, The DRT XV-1t on the Phantom II, and the MY Sonic Ultra Eminent BC on the TW arm on the AC-3. The ZYX Airy 3 S is on the Excalibur on the Rock 7.

I got word from my buddy, the local Lyra dealer that my Atlas will be here end of May. The new post and armboard for the Triplanar U2 will make it here before then. When it does it looks like the Koetsu Jade Platinum will go on the Triplanar, The Atlas on the Graham which JC says they've had good results with, and the A90 goes back in hiatus.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing