What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Because I should of been more careful.:mad:

ouch. sorry to hear about that too. but i can imagine the feeling when that happens. i almost did that a couple of times with my clumsy hands but fortunately, nothing deadly happened. super care has to be practiced when dealing with cartridges.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I've decided to use the incident of clumsiness as a reason to upgrade. Once my new Headshell mounting screws arrive, I'll install the ZYX. I want to thank Mehran for helping me out.

yatra.jpg

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm still kicking myself...

View attachment 7092

Ouch!! Since the cantilever is "only" snapped off, Soundsmith can repair the cantilever with a sheath. I had Peter fix one of my cartridges this way since it was almost brand new. Alternatively, you can get him to put a new cantilever and stylus on (I would recommend his ruby cantilever and optimized contour diamond). I have no affiliation to Soundsmith in any way, I'm just another happy customer of his repair skills.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Thanks. Yep, I've been considering Sound Smith and also Axel @ schallplattennadeln. Trying to decide which stylus to go with. Axel offers Nude Shibata made by Nagaoka, and Gyger II by Goldring. I read some of the reviews of the Ruby cantilever, just not sure what the advantage is. I know Boron, is supposed to have a better frequency response.

cantmat.jpg

Ouch!! Since the cantilever is "only" snapped off, Soundsmith can repair the cantilever with a sheath. I had Peter fix one of my cartridges this way since it was almost brand new. Alternatively, you can get him to put a new cantilever and stylus on (I would recommend his ruby cantilever and optimized contour diamond). I have no affiliation to Soundsmith in any way, I'm just another happy customer of his repair skills.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I think I paid about $500 for it back in 2006.

-- May I ask the cost of that cartridge of yours that had that very sad (unfortunate) accident?

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
If I want what I had, which was custom work by VDH, it would have to go back to them. 350+ Euro. It's not so much the boron, imho, it's the Gyger I VDH stylus that I'm not sure I want to do without. I never heard the stock Genesis 1000, so it's hard for me to say. I have another Genesis 1000 coming soon, so that will give me some more perspective.

-- ...And to replace the cantilever/boron/stylus by an appropriate one?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm contemplating moving up to a Benz LP S MR. My dealer will give me a good trade in on my Ruby 2, however, I wonder if anyone could give me an idea as to how the Benz compares to a Lyra Delos. I haven't heard the Delos and it seems like a good cartridge for the money. I have heard the Skala and liked it a lot. Unfortunately, since I'm not in the Lyra family right now, no trade in pricing is available, so the Delos would be my first step into the Lyra family. Go with the LS S MR or get away from Benz and go Delos?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I own a Benz LPS MR and it is a huge step up from the Ruby 2. As to the relative sound of Benz versus Lyra....the are both excellent but have very different house sounds which are well described in reviews and blogs.

PM if you'd like to discuss further.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Received my Ortofon 2M Black cartridge a few minutes ago! :D

IMG_1440.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice one, John--just in time for Xmas!

Thanks Rich! The install is going to have to wait for a bit as I need to move my rack. I have some room changes planned, plus some other upgrades. I'm off the first week in January and everything should be in place then. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard nothing but good things about the Black John. Let us know how it goes for you. I haven't played with any of the 2M range but I do have a Concorde Pro/OM40 frankenstein (Pro S body, OM40 stylus) ala KAB that is pretty good on the SL-1210. I've been told the Black (not the Red or Blue) betters the KAB recipe in every respect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing