What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
I've heard nothing but good things about the Black John. Let us know how it goes for you. I haven't played with any of the 2M range but I do have a Concorde Pro/OM40 frankenstein (Pro S body, OM40 stylus) ala KAB that is pretty good on the SL-1210. I've been told the Black (not the Red or Blue) betters the KAB recipe in every respect.

That is a great combination on the SL-1200. Have used that one myself with excellent results before upgrading the arm. Super easy to set up too.

If you go back to a headshell on that arm, check out an NOS Ortofon VMS20. You can usually find em for about 125, and they are scary good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Indeed Jeff. All one has to do is dial down the VTF and it's good to go. Thanks for the tip on the VMS20. :)

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Well, after my mishap with the Alpha Genesis 1000, I had to get a replacement. I settled on the ZYX R-100 Yatra. Got it installed last week and yesterday tweaked it using Feickert's Adjust+ Pro. I can say that although it's still in break-in, it's sounding at least as good as the Genesis and is pulling more music from the grooves. I expect it will surpass the Alpha Genesis once fully broken in. Merry Christmas to myself... ;)

YatraInstalled.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My latest addition ...finally a use for the second arm...Ikeda 9TT mono....mounted on a Clearaudio Universal arm. The only thing that distinguishes the mono from the stereo, is an inscribed "mono" hand scatched in above 9TT. Fantastic sounding cart...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats Christian! I guess Santa came early, eh!

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi Tim,

nice to see the Yatra here.
I am very impressed by the RS 50 Bloom and use an old RS 20II beside my van den Hul in the moment.
I am thinking to buy a new Bloom or the Yatra.

BR
Andreas

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Hi Andreas,

Whichever you choose, I highly recommend getting the Azimuth set to optimum, don't rely on visual adjustment only.

Hi Tim,

I am very impressed by the RS 50 Bloom and use an old RS 20II beside my van den Hul in the moment.

BR
Andreas

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
My latest addition ...finally a use for the second arm...Ikeda 9TT mono....mounted on a Clearaudio Universal arm. The only thing that distinguishes the mono from the stereo, is an inscribed "mono" hand scatched in above 9TT. Fantastic sounding cart...

You must have a huge mono selection Christian, to have a dedicated mono cartridge....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You must have a huge mono selection Christian, to have a dedicated mono cartridge....

Why must it be a *huge* mono selection? I don 't have a huge mono collection, but I'm still thinking about having a mono setup in addition to my regular stereo LP playback. Now there's a reason to have two tonearms.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Hi Tim,

BR
Andreas

I have a Bloom as well (low output). I actually bought an Airy3-X, but sold it and went back to the Bloom, it was just more musical and only gave up a wee bit of high frequency detail.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Maybe 75 jazz mono test presses and another 50 regular production presses. The collection is still under a growth/aquisition strategy, even more so now that I have a dedicated cart.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I *think* my mono LPs sound great played back over my stereo cartridge, but it sure would be nice to know if more was in store with a mono cartridge.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I *think* my mono LPs sound great played back over my stereo cartridge, but it sure would be nice to know if more was in store with a mono cartridge.

There is plenty more in store...I was skeptical until I put one in my system (demo). The cart never left my house. Stereo carts (No matter how good) don't do mono records justice like their mono counterparts. It isn't even close.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That would be scary then Christian. I don't think I have heard a mono cartridge since I was around 13 and that has been a day or two ago. It would be very interesting to hear a decent mono rig.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That would be scary then Christian. I don't think I have heard a mono cartridge since I was around 13 and that has been a day or two ago. It would be very interesting to hear a decent mono rig.

It opens up the sound stage (Both width & depth), the bass is far more extended and tight and the playback is quieter.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
I have a Bloom as well (low output). I actually bought an Airy3-X, but sold it and went back to the Bloom, it was just more musical and only gave up a wee bit of high frequency detail.

Hi Deepak,

that is exactly what I heard from some of my Audio buddies in Germany.

@Christian

I am sure that this Monocart will satisfy you.
I am using Denon and Audio Technica Monocarts. And the sound is much better than my best Stereocarts with monopressings.
Do you use a dedicated Phonoamp?
That is the next step to greater performance. Then you will ask yourself why Stereorecordings where invented.

BR
Andreas

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It opens up the sound stage (Both width & depth), the bass is far more extended and tight and the playback is quieter.

Or is that just the Ikeda? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing