What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Hi Deepak,

that is exactly what I heard from some of my Audio buddies in Germany.

@Christian

I am sure that this Monocart will satisfy you.
I am using Denon and Audio Technica Monocarts. And the sound is much better than my best Stereocarts with monopressings.
Do you use a dedicated Phonoamp?
That is the next step to greater performance. Then you will ask yourself why Stereorecordings where invented.

BR
Andreas

Dont forget to use one speaker too .....:)

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Our cat just ate the stylus of my Sondsmith Strain Gauge. I"m actually thinking about going to the kitchen and eat her Whiskas crunchies.... grrr...

I'm glad the Jan Allaerts is still ok.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Our cat just ate the stylus of my Sondsmith Strain Gauge. I"m actually thinking about going to the kitchen and eat her Whiskas crunchies.... grrr...

Ouch!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

---- WoW, what a lovely cat! :D ...Bend down, and go eat her crunchies now! :D

...And check her next 'poupou' (caca) or two, from her litter box. ...You never know. :b

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Hi Deepak,

that is exactly what I heard from some of my Audio buddies in Germany.

@Christian

I am sure that this Monocart will satisfy you.
I am using Denon and Audio Technica Monocarts. And the sound is much better than my best Stereocarts with monopressings.
Do you use a dedicated Phonoamp?
That is the next step to greater performance. Then you will ask yourself why Stereorecordings where invented.

BR
Andreas

Stereo recordings were invented for a number of reasons, but one of the main ones was to sell more speakers...

Good mono recordings are really a treat with a good setup.

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Haha, Bob. I'm just trying to cool down... I chose a Nonino Grappa Riserva 25th anniversary and some relaxing music (Air: The Virgin Suicides) instead of the crunchies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- This is the very first time that I've heard of something like that.

Like I said, check out her next 'poup', you might get lucky, truly.

Happy New Year Blam! :b ...And give her all your love still (your cat).

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Sorry Bob, I haven't been precise. Our cat didn't really eat the stylus (I thought writing "ate" was nicer than writing "fuxored"). She just got her "funny five minutes", jumped over the turntable, then one of her claws glazed one of the tonearms - et voila.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
My dog once ate though a section of cabling for my home theater system. Completely ate though left, right, and center channel wires that I had running in between the joists.

Sorry Bob, I haven't been precise. Our cat didn't really eat the stylus (I thought writing "ate" was nicer than writing "fuxored"). She just got her "funny five minutes", jumped over the turntable, then one of her claws glazed one of the tonearms - et voila.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have had cats chew through speaker wires and ICs and I had a dog that ruined lots of LPs by pulling them off the shelf and chewing them up. Same dog that ate a pair of steel toe boots-the steel toes were all that was left.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

---- Ha! :b

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
I have a Brinkmann la Grange and just bought a Clearaudio Goldfinger. I heard a lot good about the Thales and the VIV rigid tonearms and i may be want to change. Does anyone hs own experiences with these arms and the Goldfinger?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a Brinkmann la Grange and just bought a Clearaudio Goldfinger. I heard a lot good about the Thales and the VIV rigid tonearms and i may be want to change. Does anyone hs own experiences with these arms and the Goldfinger?

Goldies are really heavy carts. Ready the aux counterweights! :)

fabinho85

Jan 25, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
I'm using an AudioQuest AQ 7000 Fe5. If you're interested you can check out Michael Fremers review here.

I bought this used from Thomas Woschnik (the TW of TW-Acustic in case anyone wonders), after i told him what i was looking for: basically a higher resolution DL 103 for my Raven AC with Kuzma Stogi tonearm and i must say the AQ cart was spot on, Tom Woschnik really knows his stuff. I'm quite happy with this TT, even though i know that the cartridge and especially the tonearm leave lots of room to upgrade.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm using an AudioQuest AQ 7000 Fe5. If you're interested you can check out Michael Fremers review here.

I bought this used from Thomas Woschnik (the TW of TW-Acustic in case anyone wonders), after i told him what i was looking for: basically a higher resolution DL 103 for my Raven AC with Kuzma Stogi tonearm and i must say the AQ cart was spot on, Tom Woschnik really knows his stuff. I'm quite happy with this TT, even though i know that the cartridge and especially the tonearm leave lots of room to upgrade.

Nice cartridge made for them by Lyra. Had that for several years! ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just got the Ikeda 9TT in officially for review, waiting on a ZYX Universe 2 cartridge. Thank God for arm wands!

fabinho85

Jan 25, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

I actually was offered the Lyra Clavis DC when i was looking for a cartridge to replace my DL 103 but after reading the review of both carts on stereophile i decided to go with the AQ pretty quickly and have not yet regretted my choice.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

I actually was offered the Lyra Clavis DC when i was looking for a cartridge to replace my DL 103 but after reading the review of both carts on stereophile i decided to go with the AQ pretty quickly and have not yet regretted my choice.

---- Fabian, I'm very curious; what is in your avatar? ...Got a bigger picture too?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing