Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Zotl

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

What does the source sound like..​

When i have my gibson les paul and i can play the cords of ZZ top / Just got paid / under pressure for example , i ll record it on the studer / telefunken .
To see/ hear whats left of it :)

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Need help?

Attachments

• IMG_9742.JPG
    IMG_9742.JPG
    479.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DGIL7839.JPG
    DGIL7839.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0678.JPG
    DSC_0678.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
It is also fun just to record stuff...

Attachments

• DSC_0662.JPG
    DSC_0662.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 3
  • L1060606.JPG
    L1060606.JPG
    585.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
As one of my friends argued, "tube Amp is an equalizer."
No more so than traditional transistor stuff. More of this has to do with the design rather than the actual parts!
If the feedback is insufficient, it will add distortion of its own (mostly higher ordered harmonics thru bifurcation). This is why most solid state amps are bright. If you are able to add enough feedback the brightness goes away. That's a lot of feedback! Most amps made in the last 70 years or so simply don't have enough. That is at the heart of the tubes/transistors thing.

Distortion is an interesting phenomena in how the ear converts it into a tonality. Equalizers OTOH actually change the frequency response. But the ear can treat the two in very much the same way. There seems to be a tipping point where tonality induced by distortion is favored over actual frequency response.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Proponents of transistors don't like to admit how much they have to be manipulated in order to properly reproduce music. That is why the better ones (amps) are these huge mammoths.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ralph my friend was referring to output impedance which he believed negatively altered frequency response

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The output impedance of a good number of tube amps is low enough that they can operate as a voltage source with many speakers so with them this is a non-issue. There are also a good number of speakers these days that are meant for tube amps that don't have a low output impedance. So tubes don't have to be a cause for frequency response error.

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Ralph, i am happy that you are one of the few manunfacturers that openly and honestly discuss amplifier's true nature (positive and negative as compromises are inevitable in any design may it be transistor or tube) !

It would be nice if others would follow !

There is no magic involved in electronics ! Sure there are different aproaches and by chance sometimes you hit a sweet spot in bias settings of a specific tube (this by the way can explain why we love tube rolling, not because the tubes are different but the bias settings change, but that is for an other thread maybe).

Best wishes, Frank

Reactions: Atmasphere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing