What is new in my music library? (recent purchases I enjoy)

Grant Green seven classic albums
I liked the Kenny Burrell one enough to take a shot on another.
Worrisome Heart - Melody Gardot
Bring it Back - Catherine Russell
Blue Mind - Anne Bisson
The symphonic dances disc that was recently recommended by Gary.

Yes, I bought everything on the page, including the pre-order :)

Now I have to find the Vol. 1 on CD, as it's sold out! I didn't knew about this project, only heard about it today...

alexandre

Yes, I bought everything on the page, including the pre-order :)

Now I have to find the Vol. 1 on CD, as it's sold out! I didn't knew about this project, only heard about it today...

alexandre

Wait, the FLAC download is not sold out...give it a try.

Cocteau Twins: Heaven or Las Vegas (2010 Sony Music Distribution Japan CD)
Prefab Sprout: Protest Songs (2009 Sony Music Distribution Japan CD)
My Bloody Valentine: Loveless (1998 Sony Music Distribution Japan CD)
Beach House: Devotion (2008 Sony Music Distribution Japan CD)
Aztec Camera: Stray (2007 Warner Music Japan CD)
Stereolab: Emperor Tomato Ketchup (2008 Warner Music Japan CD)

Klaatu - 3:47 EST
Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste
King Crimson - Red
Harmonium - l'heptade

Mimicking Birds, Eons, Glacial Pace Records

300x300.jpg

It has been four years since Mimicking Birds‘ last release, and beyond any type of collected thought or insight I could surmise within the parameters of my keyboard, nothing will be as effective as getting my love for this album across to you besides simply saying that the wait over all 1,505 days has been worth it.

“I will protect your shadow.”

EONS, the sophomore album by Portland-based Mimicking Birds is a haunting piece of art. Featuring a far more prevalent backing band than the band’s self-titled debut, EONS is a stirring exposition of sound, emotion, and ambiance. With the opening “Memorabilia,” the band locks into a groove comfortable enough to stabilize the listener, all before being whisked away by the ever growing ripples of sound. While Mimicking Birds was a slow, and drone like emulation of lo-fi sounds, EONS boasts a faster paced presence, truly showing what the band is capable of.

With a rhythm section brought to the foreground, the band is able to make every single second of sound emanate with the highest of meaning, making every vocal melody that much more earned, each guitar bend resonate stronger, and every thud of percussion bring it all back to center. Following “Memorabilia” is “Acting Your Age,” and this succession of works may be one of the most impactful of the year. Maybe it is because my daydreams have slowly turned from irrational escapades in far off lands to finding a well paying, respectable job, but “Acting Your Age” initiates various degrees of societal questions, things that I most surely do not have the answers for yet.

One of the most rewarding aspects of the album most certainly stems from the invitation of multiple instruments per song. Each song varies in vibe, and the introduction of a higher percussion and bass presence make each song memorable in its own right. By album mid-track “Bloodlines,” each piece up to that point remains constant with a distinct mood in my mind, inviting a song for every purpose.

The album continues with exceptional flow, highlighting some fantastic guitar work on “Night Light,” followed by eerie electronics on “Water Under Burned Bridges.” “Seeing Eye Dog” creates a similar eerie vibe, though more transparent and ambient. Closing with the cathartic “Moving On,” EONS ends beautifully.

Do not mistake my emphasis on the first two tracks to highlight any kind of inconsistency with the album–to delve into each individual merit earned by the work would become far too complex, for almost every aspect of the album is a high note. The important thing to know about this work, is that while it is defined by song names and order, EONS is an open book of imagination. Each piece eloquently moving in and out from one another, my experience with it is one that is not so easily defined. This is a piece of work that is surely felt.

SCORE: 9/10
Review written by Drew Caruso – (Follow him on Twitter)

photo 2.jpgphoto 1 (1).jpg

This one is a little hard to characterize, I guess it would be called folk or Americana. Feedbands has really upped the sound quality of their colored vinyl. Very enjoyable.

A Flock of Seagulls - A Flock of Seagulls
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Everything But the Girl - Love Not Money
Gene Loves Jezebel – Immigrant
Gene Loves Jezebel - Discover
Hüsker Dü - Warehouse: Songs & Stories
Lemonheads - Lick
Lords of the New Church - Lords of the New Church
Skinny Puppy - Cleanse Fold & Manipulate
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Talk Talk - The Party's Over
Talk Talk - It's My Life
The Church – Starfish
The Icicle Works - The Icicle Works
The Psychedelic Furs - The Psychedelic Furs
The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk

Fiction Factory - Throw the Warped Wheel Out
Cabaret Voltaire - The Crackdown
China Crisis - Flaunt the Imperfection
Modern English - After the Snow
Split Enz - True Colors
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
The Replacements - Let It Be

^^^ Quite a few older disc's there L
There was a time the Split Enz and aFoS lp's got a lot of play around the house.

^^^ Quite a few older disc's there L
There was a time the Split Enz and aFoS lp's got a lot of play around the house.

Yep, been busy setting up an eighties music folder lately. Got somewhere around 250 cd's in there at the moment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing