What is the best speaker you have ever owned ?????

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But the thread is titled "...the best speaker you have ever owned", not "my speakers are better than anyone else's because their opinions and evidence are wrong"

Andre is like us; truly passionate about his hobby. ...And his Acoustats (for him, for his wallet, for his own comfort's zone) are the 'best' speakers he has ever owned.
What's wrong with that? ...And he replied to everyone in saying few things on how he came to this point in his personal 'music' life. ...His own journey.
And everyone else is free to tell their own stories, regarding their favorite (best) speakers they ever own(ed).

Of course it's different for different people; that's way more fun like that.

It's just that as all adults here we can encourage, love, and respect others. ...Because nobody is better than anyone else; we all have something to contribute.
Some people are better at this, and others at that, but no one is perfect. Some people have more expertise (experience) on a certain aspect or more of the audio department (be it loudspeakers or analog or digital electronics), and other people have other attributes in specific aspects (DACs, tonearms, room acoustics, etc.).
And even some experts can be surpassed by their colleagues. The best student surpasses his teacher.

I'm just saying; politely, respectably, because I got some' to say that is positive. ...If I don't have anything positive to say, I just abstain.

BUT! When we talk politics, economics, religions; what we sometimes say is not always positive in the eyes of some.
But we say it nonetheless because it is our belief, our view, our opinion. ...And not to be negative towards others.

Yeah, emotions; all of us we have them... ...And how old all of us are we together? ...Probably a trillion years and much more.

It ain't the end of the world, but just a new re-beginning. ...And today's speakers are more advanced than yesterday; drivers and all.
And not everyone has access to several best of them; people like Mike and Jack and Gary, just as a quick example.
And Andre did hear several of them; and his owns have their own attributes to be reckon with.

Anyway, I love everyone, and I learn from all of you.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
But the thread is titled "...the best speaker you have ever owned", not "my speakers are better than anyone else's because their opinions and evidence are wrong"
+1

This is a hobby not a competitive sport(unless you're in the business of selling audio gear).

Hope I'm as full of Spit & Vineger when I get to be Andre's age.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mr Acoustat, I see that you removed all of your posts ( deleted thread???)...Why?
The fact that several people are questioning your thoughts on your speaker's and on Acoustat's in general isn't something that IMO should concern you. The fact that you like these speakers and believe in them is all that matters. As a'philes, i believe we are all seeking a similar thing...that is an enjoyment of music in our home along with trying to make that music sound as realistic as possible.
The fact that I, or Steve, or anyone else who used to own these speaker's, have moved on to different gear is nothing to do with your admiration of the speaker. At the time that i owned them, I tried like crazy to get them to sound like what I was hoping for them...I never could obtain that, BUT you did, and I truly commend you for that.
As I have been told on many other forums, come to the table, BUT please wear a 'flame suit' and never take anything to heart. I say that to you, Mr. Acoustat. ( Like all of these forum's, there are people here who love to throw out sardonic comments, I think we all know who they are;)). ---personally i enjoy your posts and I know you have much to contribute here.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bob, since your posts suggest some affinity for Mr Acoustat, perhaps you could ask him why? After all, it was primarily his posts which were provocative; what did he expect or want to happen?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Bob, since your posts suggest some affinity for Mr Acoustat, perhaps you could ask him why? After all, it was primarily his posts which were provocative; what did he expect or want to happen?

Dir sir this will be my last post on this thread, some may not agree with my posts that is their right BUT none of them have heard those REFURBISHED Acoustats from 2011 - 2012 - 2013 -,before you pass judgement on the sound of a speaker you must first hear it, again i will say dollar for dollar the old Acoustats where a great bargain and once refurbished with all new parts they held their own against speakers MUCH more expensive.

PS: If saying that a 50k system COULD sound better than a 300k system then YOU'RE right i am provocative because to MY ears it did of course i will always choose stats over boxes BUT when it's good it's good stats or boxes.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mr Acoustat, Personally I have no problem believing that a lower priced system can beat a higher priced system. I have heard this on numerous occasions. The cost of a piece of gear ( or for that matter the vintage of said piece) has absolutely nothing to do with its ability, IMHO.
You use your ears as the final determinant as to the desirability of a system. I'm 100% in agreement with you on that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mr Acoustat, Personally I have no problem believing that a lower priced system can beat a higher priced system. I have heard this on numerous occasions. The cost of a piece of gear ( or for that matter the vintage of said piece) has absolutely nothing to do with its ability, IMHO.
You use your ears as the final determinant as to the desirability of a system. I'm 100% in agreement with you on that.

Dave,

Single happenings do not have statistically significance. All of us have listened to cheaper sounding better than expensive gear for many reasons - bad synergy, poor room and setting, choice of inadequate music or levels. But the important point is that in general, provided you optimize systems, more expensive gives you a better system. But to be fair you have to consider equivalent purchase conditions - if we compare used with new gear or gear refurbished and fine tuned by users we are cheating! :)

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
MrAcoustat;204415 [B said:
PS: If saying that a 50k system COULD sound better than a 300k system then YOU'RE right i am provocative because to MY ears it did of course i will always choose stats over boxes BUT when it's good it's good stats or boxes.[/B]

Please understand that your preference is not the issue. It's the claims made, regarding bass extension/slam/impact, that made folks take notice. Then, there's the idea behind comparing two different systems in two different environments. I mean, it is ridiculous by every measure known to our community.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
... once refurbished with all new parts they held their own against speakers MUCH more expensive....

New panels? Where do these come from? Replacing every other part of the speaker is certainly worthwhile, particularly in something 20-30 yrs old, but unless there are new panels, and probably redesigned and improved panels, the basic sonic character of the speaker will be unchanged.

As I posted before, many of here have had Acoustats and loved them, but there are other speakers out there. I like a lot of speakers that I don't own, some I can afford and some I can't, but I don't feel any particular desire to change my current speakers. I don't proselytize about it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Andre, I'm glad you posted that single post early this morning; it speaks volume.

Yes, I read much much more about Andre's system at other forums too, and with very detailed explanations and pictures of his refurbished Acoustat panel speakers.

Yesterday there were few posts that were deleted, and in one of them I was asking him how did he integrate his subs with his panels.
You simply don't delete stuff like that if you want to learn more. Now I really doubt that we'll ever find out.

Yeah, I know what most of you are saying; because I read every single post. ...And I understand completely what's going on.
Patience, love, are not attributes of everyone here; I would have been gone a long time ago... if I did not accept the fact.

I'm sad because Andre's posts had some amazing pictures and content, and there was even more to come.
Yes, I've read a lot of Andre's posts, here & there, and I learned some about the man too (the human being, with emotions),
and it's from those learnings that I comprehend, respect, love, and encourage others & myself even more in life.
- Human psychology/physiology/chemistry is as much an important part of the audio business (equation) than the room's acoustic itself.

A speaker's full mechanism is a complex phenomena, and all the parts are integral of the right functionement. ...No two speakers are alike; they all have few variations more or less, and even more when they have MKI, MKII, MKIII, etc., and/or including mods, with improved values of some or more of its parts.

You don't need to be extra smart to realize how fast some of us love to come to conclusions, without the proper baggage...
It's always much easier to put the blame on others than ourselves. ...But the fact is that there is simply no blame to put on anyone; it's always miscommunication, misinterpretation, misjudgement, incomprehension, uncontrollable passion, desire to show our better knowledge, not taking the time to look deeper and better, etc.

I love my audio hobby, and I love to always learn more, the good with the bad, and on that audio ladder I'm at the same step than anyone else;
it's just that each one of us perceive to look from a higher or lower step.
I learned as much from Andre than anyone else here, and that don't make him, or anyone else, better than the rest.

And finally, you can criticize all you want, about anyone you want, anytime you wish, any post, ...and we are all reading what you're saying...
...Smart people in the background, the shadows, behind the curtains, just like a theater, the real theater of life....
There is constructive criticizing, and there is the other kind ....

* Not a single post should have been removed, deleted, erased, in any shape, form or content from this thread.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I thought Andre didn't use subs, it was his friend and mentor Jocelyn?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
New panels? Where do these come from? Replacing every other part of the speaker is certainly worthwhile, particularly in something 20-30 yrs old, but unless there are new panels, and probably redesigned and improved panels, the basic sonic character of the speaker will be unchanged.

As I posted before, many of here have had Acoustats and loved them, but there are other speakers out there.

And Andre heard lots of them.

I like a lot of speakers that I don't own, some I can afford and some I can', but I don't feel any particular desire to change my current speakers.
I don't proselytize about it.

That's your prerogative, and I don't love you more for it. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Hmmm, let's ask Andre; but you might be right because Andre did mention that he's happy with 30Hz low frequency extension.

* Andre, just wipe out your emotional pain here for a sec, and lets start from the beginning; would you give it a try? :b

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mr Acoustat, I see that you removed all of your posts ( deleted thread???)...Why?

Uh, because maybe he felt both insulted and assaulted?

The fact that several people are questioning your thoughts on your speaker's and on Acoustat's in general isn't something that IMO should concern you.

Really? Lots of people here get their nose bent out of joint when people tell them their baby has a mess in their diaper including you. Why should Mr. Acoustat feel any less insulted when people are taking his baby to the woodshed and giving it a good beating?

As I have been told on many other forums, come to the table, BUT please wear a 'flame suit' and never take anything to heart. I say that to you, Mr. Acoustat.

That would be great advice if everyone here followed it. But alas, they don't. Some go crying to the mods and say so-and-so hurt their feelings and now they are upset. Sound familiar? It should.

( Like all of these forum's, there are people here who love to throw out sardonic comments, I think we all know who they are;)).

I'm glad to see that someone is using their Thesaurus. For you of all people to say that there are people here who love to throw out sardonic comments and "I think we all know who they are" is just rich. This is coming from the guy who told Debbie Wilson that the tweeter her father uses rings like a bell and all Wilson owners who are unlucky enough to own the Focal tweeter should "demand" a replacement. If you didn't heap scornful derision on the Wilson tweeter and meet the classic definition of being sardonic, there needs to be a new definition for sardonic.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

You are absolutely right, i don't use subs because i don't need them, they may be ok for others but i prefer ANY system without subs again ( for me ) Jocelyn uses 2 JL,s F-112 he prefers his system with subs, my moto as always been live and let live.

PS: My system is in a 14x20x8 feet living room - - - Jocelyn system is in a 21x30x13 to 15 feet ( cathedral ceiling ) dedicated room - - -

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Uh, because maybe he felt both insulted and assaulted?

Really? Lots of people here get their nose bent out of joint when people tell them their baby has a mess in their diaper including you. Why should Mr. Acoustat feel any less insulted when people are taking his baby to the woodshed and giving it a good beating?

That would be great advice if everyone here followed it. But alas, they don't. Some go crying to the mods and say so-and-so hurt their feelings and now they are upset. Sound familiar? It should.

I'm glad to see that someone is using their Thesaurus. For you of all people to say that there are people here who love to throw out sardonic comments and "I think we all know who they are" is just rich. This is coming from the guy who told Debbie Wilson that the tweeter her father uses rings like a bell and all Wilson owners who are unlucky enough to own the Focal tweeter should "demand" a replacement. If you didn't heap scornful derision on the Wilson tweeter and meet the classic definition of being sardonic, there needs to be a new definition for sardonic.

Mr. A is a fine gentleman...no problem there..but his claim that his speakers are better than anything else became insufferable. The best for him, no doubt. Great.

The claim its self is ludicrous, but when challenged on that fact by Steve and Davey, and others for that matter, he could not take the heat.

I have to give Mr. A credit for tirelessness, myopia, and an indefatigable nature. Sheesh.

Certain brands are cults..period. That is NOT a comment on the quality of the product. Rogers LS3/5As of which I owned two pairs, were fun as hell speakers..but anybody
who thinks that speaker design has not shot miles ahead of it is delusional.

So the self righteous defense of Mr. A is rather pointless.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mr. A is a fine gentleman...no problem there..but his claim that his speakers are better than anything else became insufferable. The best for him, no doubt. Great.

The claim its self is ludicrous, but when challenged on that fact by Steve and Davey, and others for that matter, he could not take the heat.

I have to give Mr. A credit for tirelessness, myopia, and an indefatigable nature. Sheesh.

Certain brands are cults..period. That is NOT a comment on the quality of the product. Rogers LS3/5As of which I owned two pairs, were fun as hell speakers..but anybody

Andre, that post that you responded to is pathetic, LOL:eek::eek: I wasn't even going to comment:(

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

Where did i say that my speakers are better than anything else, i don't even talk about MY speakers all the talk was about the DIY Acoustat Spectra 8800s that where rebuilt by my friend Jocelyn and what i said is that it is the BEST 12k speakers that I have ever heard in my 40 years plus in this hobby, i am not asking anybody to believe me i am not looking for anyone's approval i'm old enough to judge by myself.

PS: Andre Marc thank you for your comments, you are a man with great class.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing