What is the best speaker you have ever owned ?????

I just read somewhere that all Acoustat panels were designed to self-destruct on 1 Jan 2014 starting at 12:01 AM and lasting until 11:59 PM. All of the Acoustat speakers in Canada are scheduled to self-destruct first.

Mark,
Any news about Soundlab's in Europe? ;)

I just read somewhere that all Acoustat panels were designed to self-destruct on 1 Jan 2014 starting at 12:01 AM and lasting until 11:59 PM. All of the Acoustat speakers in Canada are scheduled to self-destruct first.

That design was cancelled on the 2012 - 2013 - modification, i'm a lucky man. :):):)

I believe that you have finaly found it BUT for how much more money ????? and how many audiophiles walk around the room when listening to music ????? i know i don't, when i invite friends over it always make's me laugh when i see them moving left to right and right to left then i tell them hey RELAX MAN enjoy the music don't look for problems when there are none. :):):)

Excuse me but there eas no qualifier about price.

Excuse me but there eas no qualifier about price.

Sorry sir all that i'm saying is if you have to spend three or four times the money to better your present speakers you already have very good speakers nothing else and it's ALWAYS about price if not i would OWN MBL's 101.:)

Sorry sir all that i'm saying is if you have to spend three or four times the money to better your present speakers you already have very good speakers nothing else and it's ALWAYS about price if not i would OWN MBL's 101.:)

The title is THE best speaker...not the best value.

The title is THE best speaker...not the best value.

And even that's debatable.....it's a matter of preference. In Andre's case it's widely known that the only speaker for him is the Acoustat's he own. I, OTOH, would never suggest such a limited view. YMMV

And even that's debatable.....it's a matter of preference. In Andre's case it's widely known that the only speaker for him is the Acoustat's he own. I, OTOH, would never suggest such a limited view. YMMV

Yes Johnny you're right, it's a matter of preference, like you I love the smell of all Acoustat's always.:)

Bose 901 is cheaper and sound better than any Acoustat model.. just my preference :p

Your preference is just as good as mine, enjoy those Bose and i will enjoy my Acoustats.:)

Bose 901 is cheaper and sound better than any Acoustat model.. just my preference :p

Then you have never heard any of the Acoustats with the DD servo amps. Much better than Bose 901's with Lamm amplifiers.

Last edited:
I have seen Acoustat Model III's going as low as $500 for the pair. Roger Mosjeski of Music Reference is now making Direct Drive Stereo tube amps for $4500, monos for $8K. So as little as $5K, you have a reference speaker/amp cpmbo. Not shabby at all.

With over 40 years in the hobby, I'd give a hats off to the speakers that began to introduce me to the capabilities of a higher-end components - the Revel M20s.

However, my current speakers - YG Acoustics Carmels - are easily the best I've had in any system.

These are the best speakers that I have personally ever owned. They may not meet your criteria, but that's okay as it's only me living with them. ;)

This is a copy & paste from something I wrote on my Facebook page.

My Genesis G7.1f speakers absolutely rock!
Last year around this time I was presented with an opportunity to acquire these speakers. After looking at my budget, what I could sell my then Totem Sttaf speakers for, I decided that this was an opportunity I could not let pass by. Arrangements were made and the speakers were delivered mid-January.

At first I really had second-thoughts about the decision I had just made, since they sounded so very different from the Totem Sttafs I had grown to love. They sounded cold and sterile, even harsh at times. It didn't help that I had just upgraded to a better and more detailed phono cartridge. So I'm thinking that I maybe made a mistake and bought them because of the great deal that was presented. I was having serious doubts about my decision.

In speaking with Gary Koh, owner and CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies, Inc., it was recommended that I move them into a larger space, which I did. My room at the time was tiny, tiny and I don't think that served them well, although they are very adaptable to varying room sizes. The improvement from going to a larger space was immediately evident. I could now open them up and let them breathe with some decent volume. They seemed to be very happy in their new environment, but I wasn't. Something was missing, there was no emotion coming from the music I was playing..it seemed like the speakers were still going through "just the motions" of replicating sound. There was lots of accuracy and detail, but they still left me somewhat cold. Maybe these speakers weren't for me, I thought. This really scared me to some degree as I don't have the resources to change equipment when I feel like it.

Luckily however, Gary and I had a few more discussions about proper speaker placement, room acoustics and other parts of my system. I tried to learn as much as I could from his recommendations and have implemented some as well. The speakers were now starting to sound better and better. We're now 3-4 months, maybe 5-6 months (I can't remember) into my ownership of them. But I'm still not 100% happy with what I'm hearing. I started changing my room environment by adding sound absorbing curtains along the back wall and acquiring some acoustic panels. I made sure my turntable was properly set up and tweaked with the controls on the back of the speakers to get the right setting for my ears. I did everything I could to physically implement an improvement. Heck, I even threw down a small Persian rug on my coffee-table to see if that would make a difference.

It is now the end of November, almost a year since I acquired the Genesis G7.1f speakers that I can say that I have found their magic. It started back in September actually when I noticed how wonderful they sounded on a few LP's I had bought and was playing. Maybe they finally "broke in" I thought...could be I suppose. But ever since those days in September they have have sounded better and better. I just love them. There is an honesty about their delivery that shines through bright and clear. No masking of bottom, mid and highs.......pure coherence throughout. It was one of the things that attracted me when I had the pleasure of hearing their baby brothers and bigger siblings. I'm glad it worked out for me....as I wanted that sound I first heard.

Roger Mosjeski of Music Reference is now making Direct Drive Stereo tube amps.... Not shabby at all.

Indeed it is not: I am one of four owners, worldwide (well, there may be more by now!) of Roger's DD amplifier. Very impressive.

Mr Acoustat, you should definitely try this!

- r.

Indeed it is not: I am one of four owners, worldwide (well, there may be more by now!) of Roger's DD amplifier. Very impressive.

Mr Acoustat, you should definitely try this!

- r.
Pictures? what speakers, and stereo or mono amps?

welcome!

Stereo amp. Speakers are DIY using 3-wire 9" Acoustat panels that I bought from Roger Modjeski.

DSC_8048Large_zps1eb05216.jpg

- r.

Stereo amp. Speakers are DIY using 3-wire 9" Acoustat panels that I bought from Roger Modjeski.

DSC_8048Large_zps1eb05216.jpg

- r.

Fantastic. If you haven't already, and can swing it, you should go 2+2 or 3+3.

the Acoustats that rab has are Acoustats in name only… you've never seen or heard anything like this, trust me!
irrelevant to what I posted. I'm referring to the configuration of the panels, not an Acoustat model, and I'll reiterate; vertically stacking at least 4 panels is the way to go, and done properly I suspect 8 is best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing