What movies do you watch over and over again?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
When I really like a film, I will return to it over and over again.

It'll be interesting to see which of the newer movies stay on the return list like the older ones have.

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey

One of the funniest movies of all time IMO!!!!!!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When I really like a film, I will return to it over and over again.

It'll be interesting to see which of the newer movies stay on the return list like the older ones have.

You've got many great Classics from your list, and I can totally relate to those titles.
And many of them are from the 100 best movies ever!

Thanks, you just gave me a new incentive to revisit some of them! :)

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How about a list of movies I would return to if they would just release them on DVD or blu-ray.

For example, I loved Man Facing Southeast, but it's only available on VHS.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Facing-So...7004/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299031892&sr=8-2

I gave my VHS copy away years ago, along with my VHS player.

Then there are movies to which I return, but less frequently these days like Taxi Driver, Dressed to Kill, Lost in America, The Birds, Annie Hall, or Mean Streets.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
So do you think that Blu-ray is still not catching up with some of our favorites?

* Blu-ray's been around since Spring 2006.
{The first Blu-ray Disc titles were released June 20, 2006} => In North America.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Many of the films on my list are not yet out on blu-ray.

One that is on blu-ray, but isn't on my list is Patton.

They botched the blu-ray so badly, it put Patton in sort of a stun-gun holding pattern.

I hope they revisit and give us a better transfer someday.

As you say, many of these films are on lists of top 100 movies, I don't get why it is taking so long to release them on blu-ray.

I guess they want each title to have a release window, which makes sense.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Many of the films on my list are not yet out on blu-ray.

So you're watching them on VHS or Laser Discs (DVDs)?

One that is on blu-ray, but isn't on my list is Patton.
They botched the blu-ray so badly, it put Patton in sort of a stun-gun holding pattern.
I hope they revisit and give us a better transfer someday.

Yup, know all about it!

As you say, many of these films are on lists of top 100 movies, I don't get why it is taking so long to release them on blu-ray.

I guess they want each title to have a release window, which makes sense.

Many other reasons also; like the time and money to remaster some, and other financial and timely reasons of the times we live in.

* By the time that some of our favorites will be released on Blu, there will be another format!
...A new laser or a new improved streaming feature... ...4K...

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I watch on blu-ray if available, otherwise DVD. Gave away all of my VHS's. Never owned Laser discs. You?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No Laser discs for me. Tons of VHS but of course I don't watch those any more (many of them are widescreen).
{Still have my high-end Akai VCR in my bedroom for the clock.}

Close to 5,000 DVDs, but I only watch perhaps two per year, now. Perhaps three some years. :)

I now mainly watch Blu-rays (got few of those now, about 2,000).

I'm getting old and I fall asleep much more than when I was younger! Lol
I read too, but again I fall asleep also doing that!

The only thing that I can do without falling asleep is go to bed! :D
You?

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I mainly watch blu-rays, but every once in awhile, I get the urge and if the movie is only on DVD, I watch the DVD. Some DVD's are not that bad for PQ.

If I go to bed too early, I can't sleep and it'll screw me up for hours.

If I wait until I am dog tired, I fall right into sleepy time.

Reading at night will get me sleepy pretty quick.

If I put on some nice music, I fall asleep even faster.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm going to try watching "Kindom of Heaven" on Blu-ray in just few minutes and see if I can make it before falling asleep. :) ...One hundred and ninety-four minutes!
Wish me good luck!

Mary

May 28, 2011
- La vita è bella
- Forrest Gump
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Casablanca

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
- For pure picture quality delight:

"Avatar" for the amazing details and colors. Picture quality wise it is the very best!

Also "Alice in Wonderland", and "Baraka", and "The Incredibles", and "Ratatouille", and "Toy Story 3", and "UP', and "The International"...

- For great flicks:

* Amelie
* No Country for Old Man
* There will be Blood
* 3:10 to Yuma
* Mouse Hunt
* Young Frankenstein
* And yes Mary, "Life is Beautiful"! :)

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I'm an animation fan. I love the artwork that can appear in animation where anything is possible. This last year one of my favorite studios released their new feature length 'Wolfwalkers'. There's a lot of subtlety in the animation, so much there that looks so natural (despite the stylism) that you take it for granted. Its gorgeous and an example of how master animators work their craft. The soundtrack is on LP...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Payback mel gibson
Snatch brad pitt:p
The Accountant
Leon
Shoot em up
Sleppy hollow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing