What nice wines did you taste this weekend?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
@LL21 I understand where you're coming from. Of the 1st Growths I'm also less inclined toward the classic Bordeaux style of Margaux and Lafite. You don't have to travel far though, the fuller, richer more muscular style of Mouton and Latour is more to my taste. My experience of the 1st Growths isn't extensive but from my limited experience I'd choose a top St Julien before Lafite or Margaux. Softer more delicious wines as a generalisation. That said I'd not turn down the opportunity to sample anything from this sort of list!!

If you've not already tried it seek out Ch Musar, it's fairly widely available in the UK and of a similar style to those top Penfolds you mention. The one area it doesn't compare to wine of it's quality is price, a relative bargain
Thank you...i think we have tried Musar before and yes, that makes sense now, based on our recollection and your description. Our specific recollection is that the comparably priced Penfolds to the Musar we had (probably a Penfolds 389 or 150) still had more to chew on, bolder, more powerful...a really rich stick-a-shovel-in-it-and-it-stands-up NY Cheesecake to a no-bake cheescake or something like that? But yes, the two wines were much more in line in terms of 'composition' or 'design' if that is even a proper word in this vocabulary.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I'm not usually a Cali Cab guy but my wife and I had this Chateau Montelena last night with some wood grilled steaks. It was super good. Then some others we shared with friends this weekend.

Attachments

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah the 1999 Montelena is not very good... mind shipping me the rest of your lot :):):):):)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Oh wait you also stock up La Tache??? When are you going to invite WBF folks over??? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Oh wait you also stock up La Tache??? When are you going to invite WBF folks over??? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
You've got it! Do look us up the next time you're in Austin. We love to listen to tunes and drink good wine - or bourbon, or scotch.... Oh wait... LOL!

Holli82

Jun 7, 2010

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing