What Regular Pressing LPs sound like audiophile pressings?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We've all bought those $7.99 or $9.99 records from Tower Records (in the early 80s, when they had no CDs) and then had to shell out $15 or $18 for a Chesky, Sheffield, or RR LP. We knew what we were paying extra for these 'audiophile' releases, hence a joy in the heart when one 'discovers' a 'cheap' regular pressing that has outstanding sonic qualities that one expects from the more expensive 'audiophile labels'. These LPs come to mind:

1. Linda Ronstadt - For Sentimental Reasons. (Asylum)
2. Ricki Lee Jones - Pop Pop (Geffen)
3. Kate Wolf - A Poet's Heart (Kaleidoscope)
4. Eric Clapton - Unplugged (Reprise Germany)
5. OST from The Mambo Kings (Warner Elektra Germany)
6. C'era Una Volta Il West (OST from Once Upon A Time in the West) - (RCA Italy) - This record is really "smokin'". lol
7. Kenny G Live (Arista) - Up to now when I play this 2 LP set I still couldn't believe how good it sounds, regardless of whether one likes Kenny G or not. A HK magazine writer/record seller convinced me to buy it, I was even reluctant at first, but when I heard it, it made me a believer. lol

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I like the Q-sound effect when playing Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" LP's. It's pretty overprocessed, but it has wow factor!

Also, Quincy Jones "Back on the Block".... "Birdland" in particular.

Regards,

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Whatever happened to Q sound. The sound effects are sometimes incredibly good as Bruce points out on Immaculate Collection.

Another album recorded in Q Sound that is also exceptional is Roger Waters "Amused To Death"

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
lots of late 70's power pop used Q sound with mixed results. i find that it 'dumbs down' many Lps and causes a loss of articulation. it can give you that spaciality, but with loss of focus. give me a good tube mixing board (and the natural bloom) and lose the processing. at least it's an analog process.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like the Q-sound effect when playing Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" LP's. It's pretty overprocessed, but it has wow factor!

The cut I like best in that album is 'La Isla Bonita'. Cranking it up sounds even better. I have 12" single of the same song cut at 45rpm but I feel that the former sounds beter.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just to add, Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' on Warner Records. Digitally recorded and mastered by Bob Ludwig. This always sound good in any system I've heard. A good friend and I always wonder how much better can this still be on the Mofi half-speed pressing.

Monkeyboy

Jun 25, 2010
Northern Virginia
I have a copy of Frank Zappa's Waka Jawaka that is amzing! Fortunately he was a stickler for making good recordings and we all benefit. Also Linda Ronstadt's 2Originals of Linda Ronstadt I34 EVC 52 760/61 (German pressing) that contains her first two albums with The Stone Poneys. Very nicely recorded and the pressing is veyr high quality.

There are really too many recordings to qualify for this, but these are two that I have that really stand out, and no "audiophilepressing" prices to pay.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We've all bought those $7.99 or $9.99 records from Tower Records (in the early 80s, when they had no CDs) and then had to shell out $15 or $18 for a Chesky, Sheffield, or RR LP. We knew what we were paying extra for these 'audiophile' releases, hence a joy in the heart when one 'discovers' a 'cheap' regular pressing that has outstanding sonic qualities that one expects from the more expensive 'audiophile labels'. These LPs come to mind:

1. Linda Ronstadt - For Sentimental Reasons. (Asylum)
2. Ricki Lee Jones - Pop Pop (Geffen)
3. Kate Wolf - A Poet's Heart (Kaleidoscope)
4. Eric Clapton - Unplugged (Reprise Germany)
5. OST from The Mambo Kings (Warner Elektra Germany)
6. C'era Una Volta Il West (OST from Once Upon A Time in the West) - (RCA Italy) - This record is really "smokin'". lol
7. Kenny G Live (Arista) - Up to now when I play this 2 LP set I still couldn't believe how good it sounds, regardless of whether one likes Kenny G or not. A HK magazine writer/record seller convinced me to buy it, I was even reluctant at first, but when I heard it, it made me a believer. lol

Neil Young: Live At Massey Hall 1971 - Reprise

I've bought both of these recordings in the last year, and for a non-audiophile label, these Reprise LP's are stunning.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
AC/DC "Back In Black" (No, I'm not kidding)
Herb Alpert "Rise"
Ray Anderson "Blues Bred In The Bone"
Art Ensemble of Chicago "Third Decade"
Anita Baker "Rapture"
Count Basie "Basie 88"
David Bowie "Let's Dance"
Calexico "Carried To Dust"
Benny Carter "Jazz Giant"
The Clash "London Calling" (original pressing)
Miles Davis "Round About Midnight" (original mono pressing)
Duke Ellington/Ray Brown "This One's For Blanton"
Everly Brothers "EB '84" (original pressing)
Gipsy Kings "Mosaique"
Great Jazz Trio "Direct From LA" (EastWind)
Iron & Wine "Our Endless Numbered Days"
Billy Joel "The Nylon Curtain"
Barney Kessel/Ray Brown/Shelly Manne "The Poll Winners" & "Poll Winners Three!" (original pressing)
Greg Kihn "Kihnspiracy"
David Lindley "El Rayo-X"
Paul McCartney "Tug of War"
Midnight Oil "Diesel and Dust"
Joanna Newsom "Have One On Me"
Nylons "One Size Fits All"
Opeth "Damnation"
Robert Palmer "Clues"
Oscar Peterson "+Harry Edison + Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson"
The Police "Synchronicity"
The Pretenders "The Pretenders"
Prince "Controversy" & "Sign 'O The Times"
REM "Chronic Town" EP
Lou Reed "New Sensations"
Keith Richards "Talk Is Cheap"
Robbie Robertston "Robbie Robertson"
Rockpile "Seconds of Pleasure"
Linda Ronstadt "Simple Dreams"
Scritti Politti "Cupid & Psyche 85"
Sphere "Four For All"
Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
Cecil Taylor "Live In Bologna"
Pete Townshend "Empty Glass"
Leroy Vinnegar "Walks!"
Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat"
Bobby Watson "Beatitudes"
Peter Wolf "Midnight Souvenirs"
Stevie Wonder "Hotter Than July"
10cc "Deceptive Bends"

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The most outstanding to me is: Dire Straits 'Love over Gold', a close second would be Dire Straits 'Brother's in Arms'.

IMHO, 'Love over Gold' is better than most a'phile pressings!:cool:

There are also numerous jazz LP's and others that sound like a'phile pressings.
My list would be very long:D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Saul Goodman - 'Mallets Melody and Mayhem' - Columbia 6 eye Stereo pressing.

The best percussion recording I've heard so far. The high frequency reproduction here are very natural and airy. Very transparent recording in sum.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Saul Goodman - 'Mallets Melody and Mayhem' - Columbia 6 eye Stereo pressing.

The best percussion recording I've heard so far. The high frequency reproduction here are very natural and airy. Very transparent recording in sum.

Nearly impossible to find and surprised no one has reissued it. Maybe the tapes are shot or missing. Found mine for $10 but one in good shape fetches 300 plus smackers.

One of my reference LPs for reviewing. Pick a cut. They're all amazing and test a system to the max! Plus it's great music by the principal percussionist of the NY Philharmonic at that time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nearly impossible to find and surprised no one has reissued it. Maybe the tapes are shot or missing. Found mine for $10 but one in good shape fetches 300 plus smackers.

One of my reference LPs for reviewing. Pick a cut. They're all amazing and test a system to the max! Plus it's great music by the principal percussionist of the NY Philharmonic at that time.

Myles,

I'm glad to hear your affirmation on the sound quality of this LP. And indeed it's quite to come by these days, specially a near mint copy.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And, I was just listening this morning to my UK Island all-pink label of Cat Steven's 'Tea for the Tillerman', in the light of the new re-issue by Quality Records. This LP sounds really incredible sonically, and the good thing is, I love the music as well as I grew up with it. 'Father and Son' was one of my first guitar strumming lessons, and listening to it in 'full glory' (keyboard, bass, drum, guitars) is indeed an exhilarating experience. To me, is sounds like an audiophile pressing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most of the normal pressings from the German jazz label ECM sound outstanding and have noiseless surfaces. Gary Burton Quartet / Eberhard Weber - Passengers is a particularly good and impresive one.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not sure if I should regard Command Records as audiophile pressings or not since they noted all the good stuffs they used in recording like microphones, etc. but in the meantime I should think they are ordinary pressings, at least in those days. Given that, I should say that a few that I have encountered sounded fabulous to my ears, and probably the only flaw which I can say is some can sound like hard stereo, though in most cases they are very acceptable. Nice albums are Tony Mottola's Strum Along and Close To You. And Toots Thieleman's Contrasts. These were produced by the tandem of George Piros and Robert Fine - who did the Mercury Living Presence as well.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Joanna Newsom - Ys. I heard this at <namedrop> Michael Fremer's </namedrop> place and I immediately ordered a copy. Phenomenal low level detail. Her voice is an acquired taste...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
How about an example of a regular pressing that dusts an audiophile version? Chicago's first LP sounds better than the original MoFi version. Listen to the cut "I'm a Man." The original version sounds so live it's scary with a big bottom end. The MoFi version cuts off the bottom octave. No contest which one sounds much the better.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The original pressing of "Rumors" sounds much more natural than the recently released 45 rpm reissue.

My original Pablo recording of Duke Ellington & Ray Brown "This One's For Blanton" sounds better than the 45 rpm reissue (although the 45 rpm is very good).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing