What SONG are you listening to right now?

ThomasW

Oct 22, 2018
Now in the evening it‘s time for Marc Cohn‘s CD „Listening Booth 1970.He covered his favs of this year.....beautiful sound !

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
This collection blows my mind. JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful re- interpretations of some familiar and not-so-familiar material.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 5.04.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 5.04.13 PM.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 4

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This collection blows my mind. JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful re- interpretations of some familiar and not-so-familiar material.
This is amazing, didn't know it existed! Now where are the first 41 volumes? Because Joe Morello!

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Morello is a saint IMO, and that, in no way diminishes the brilliance of the other artists on this recording. I mean, it IS the Dave Brubeck Quartet after all!
I, too, had no idea this existed but thanks to Qobuz, I do now.

I grew up listening to Symphony Sid on a transistor radio tucked under my pillow. NYC jazz clubs would admit me even though I was underage. OMG, the legends I saw and heard!

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Morello is a saint IMO, and that, in no way diminishes the brilliance of the other artists on this recording. I mean, it IS the Dave Brubeck Quartet after all!
I, too, had no idea this existed but thanks to Qobuz, I do now.

I grew up listening to Symphony Sid on a transistor radio tucked under my pillow. NYC jazz clubs would admit me even though I was underage. OMG, the legends I saw and heard!
So if I supply the Bourbon and the Cigars will you spin the tales of lore!

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Single malt and no cigars and I am IN! :)

It was a wonderful time for me. I remember when Ornette Coleman hit the NYC scene with his plastic sax. There were a lot of skeptics. When Lenny Bernstein heard the quartet he proclaimed Ornette a genius. That seemed to shut down the naysayers. :) I still have the original LP of "Change of the Century" in my collection. By now, it's not exactly "hi-fi". :)

Another story for another time was when I was working at a Catskill resort and the Red Rodney Quartet was in residence but the band came alive when they played at a local gin mill. Red was quite the character and was connected to the local vice underground. We were boys but Red helped us on our journey to manhood. It was only later that I learned about Rodney's history with Miles, Dizzy, and many others.
RIP.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Single malt and no cigars and I am IN! :)

It was a wonderful time for me. I remember when Ornette Coleman hit the NYC scene with his plastic sax. There were a lot of skeptics. When Lenny Bernstein heard the quartet he proclaimed Ornette a genius. That seemed to shut down the naysayers. :) I still have the original LP of "Change of the Century" in my collection. By now, it's not exactly "hi-fi". :)

Another story for another time was when I was working at a Catskill resort and the Red Rodney Quartet was in residence but the band came alive when they played at a local gin mill. Red was quite the character and was connected to the local vice underground. We were boys but Red helped us on our journey to manhood. It was only later that I learned about Rodney's history with Miles, Dizzy, and many others.
RIP.
As luck would have it just today I acquired a bottle of 14 year Oban Single Malt from a client. Let the tales begin!
Sounds like you need to write a book or screenplay. Oh and just sit upwind from me, :)

I have met my share of famous musicians in the LA music scene starting in the late 70's on up but i am betting they don't compare to yours of actually interacting over periods of time where mine are momenataryish and short visits. I did however get to go onto BB Kings tour bus after a show on New Years Eve at The Strand in Redondo Beach and chat with Mr. King that was memorable. Some great crazy times on the Sunset strip when rock stars could walk freely and not get accosted or assaulted by fans or the paparazzi.

Are you still in NYC?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is a great album. No time to make video.

82ED554E-EF85-4F56-817F-8860A937737C.jpeg

Reactions: paolo

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
As luck would have it just today I acquired a bottle of 14 year Oban Single Malt from a client. Let the tales begin!
Sounds like you need to write a book or screenplay. Oh and just sit upwind from me, :)

I have met my share of famous musicians in the LA music scene starting in the late 70's on up but i am betting they don't compare to yours of actually interacting over periods of time where mine are momenataryish and short visits. I did however get to go onto BB Kings tour bus after a show on New Years Eve at The Strand in Redondo Beach and chat with Mr. King that was memorable. Some great crazy times on the Sunset strip when rock stars could walk freely and not get accosted or assaulted by fans or the paparazzi.

Are you still in NYC?
Oban, well awwwright! Let me clarify, I was just a lower middle-class white kid from the suburbs with easy access to NYC, especially the Village.
"On the Road" was my bible. But without a map. I stumbled into various scenes out of keen curiosity, dumb luck, minor misfortune, and looking for answers to questions I sometimes couldn't articulate.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I tried to think of a song which makes some sense of the destruction brought about by the bushfires in Australia, in the background of years of climate inaction by our current Govt & came back to this song by 90's Aussie grunge band, Silverchair....Pure Massacre!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing