What speakers would you look at in the $12-14K range?

Bryston are often demo'ed with Magnepan (and are relatively inexpensive); not tubes to be sure, but I would expect it is otherwise a good match.

I would think the NOLA KO MkII should be on your short list, especially given their known synergy with tube amps. Again, cheaper than your price range.

My speakers may be available at a substantial discount ordered direct from the factory (I got about 30% off and I'm not even a reviewer); again, known synergy with tubes.

I like the Nola speakers a lot.

Yeh.. the linkwitz stuff is really good , I had Orions for a while , sorry I sold them.

Nope, not in the same class , I had an opportunity to get used Meridian DSP6000's , the latest 24/96 models at an amazing price the time , so jumped .. it wasnt an upwards move from the Orions , more a sideways move , but a whole lot of boxen less.
G1's are here to stay.. they will bury me in their transport crates :)

Are you talking about the article where Sanders claims he has the best speakers in the world?
No I'm talking about the narrow sweet spot. alph is correct there is only one point for any speaaker that sounds nbest. In his case the drop off is dramatic. Ralph does excel at self promotion.

Focal Sopra 2's

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to hear the Sabrinas next week in NYC. I'll report back on that.

I'm not a big Vandy fan but I'm going to have another listen to the Quattro Wood CT speakers too.

I'm also going to visit the local Focal dealer.

I just upgraded to an Audio Research Ref 5SE and the Maggies are sounding excellent-you really cannot believe what these $2K speakers can do with the right electronics. I'm tempted to just do another amp upgrade. But it would be nice to try some dynamic speakers.

I'd suggest something from Joseph Audio, NOLA, or Vienna Acoustics Liszt. All amazing.

I've heard the Devores and like them a lot. But I may take another listen.

I'll put in a plug for Gary's Genesis G7.2f loudspeakers. Amazing balance and coherence throughout, optional dipole configuration and dedicated built-in 180w subwoofer amps.

I have owned Revels (Studio), Verity Audios (Parsifal Encore) and Avalons (Eidolon Vision) in that speaker playing field, and preferred the Avalons. In fact I bought and sold mine used for $9.5K and they are a steal at that price. I would never buy them new though, because at MSRP they are outrageously overpriced.

He also writes most eloquently about audio technology. See this thread: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?480-Sanders-Sound-Systems-electrostatic

Whether you go with his products or not, it is all good reading. I also met him for the first time at RMAF.

Some of the characteristics and targets of these speakers can be found in Roger Sanders dispersion whitepaper: http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/147-dispersion-white-paper

His views on stereo sound reproduction are just one more of the many perspectives we can find around and surely will not get everyone agreement. For example:

The laws of physics dictate that all stereo speakers will have an infinitely small sweet spot, regardless of their high frequency dispersion. That spot is when you are exactly equidistant from both speakers. Only when you are equidistant from the speakers can the phase information arrive at your ears simultaneously from both speakers. Obviously, there is no hope of imaging well if the sounds from both speakers do not arrive at the same time as the phasing will be destroyed.

For a speaker to have a wide sweet spot simply means that the phase information from the room is confusing the sound so badly that you can't even tell when you are in the sweet spot and when you aren't. A wide sweet spot is a guarantee that a speaker has poor imaging and transient response.

I don't compromise. I want narrow dispersion in my speakers to minimize room acoustics so that I can get the best possible sound.

It is why it is a single listener in a chair speaker.

My easy choice would be the Focal Sopra's. They play way above their price point.

. .it is why it is a single listener in a chair speaker.
Miceostrip

you can also take a bobsled approach if you are so inclined.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing