What the world needs now is a $250,000 power amplifier

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dan D'Agostino Master Audio Systems Relentless

• Relentless Monoblock Amplifier / Specs

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hrrrrrrmm...one would think that for a cool $1/4 MIL we shouldn't be seeing 1cent crimp-on connectors and galvanized steel buss bars deployed throughout the design of this beast :confused:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Wouldn’t you need two?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The price is for a pair. So, $125,000 if your main listening source is mono.
And for a full Dolby Atmos top Trinnov surround sound system ... with 24 speakers (Auro-3D voice of God), ...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Looking at your photo really doesn’t do the amps justice. These guys are very large and hefty, much more so than the photo has a way of depicting.
If you look at the case work alone, you can see where a lot of money is being spent.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Looking at your photo really doesn’t do the amps justice. These guys are very large and hefty, much more so than the photo has a way of depicting.
If you look at the case work alone, you can see where a lot of money is being spent.

If I'd be in the market for such an amp I could do without the bling, if that would make it cheaper. The look as is does have some appeal (to a certain extent) but for the money saved I'd rather buy a real work of art to hang on the wall.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If I'd be in the market for such an amp I could do without the bling, if that would make it cheaper.

This is my biggest complaint with "audiophile" vendors. Another culprit is Dartzeel.

A few years ago Weiss built the same exact DAC.... one for the Professional and the other for the Audiophile. They were identical inside with the Pro DAC costing thousands cheaper! Needless to say, that's the one I had!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I'd be in the market for such an amp I could do without the bling, if that would make it cheaper. The look as is does have some appeal (to a certain extent) but for the money saved I'd rather buy a real work of art to hang on the wall.

Most probably if the amplifier did not have the bling it would sell in even smaller numbers and would become even more expensive ... ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is my biggest complaint with "audiophile" vendors. Another culprit is Dartzeel.

A few years ago Weiss built the same exact DAC.... one for the Professional and the other for the Audiophile. They were identical inside with the Pro DAC costing thousands cheaper! Needless to say, that's the one I had!

Excellent. Bringing the 'cosmetic' costs down is also a declared goal of Schiit, the manufacturer of my Yggdrasil DAC. The rounded aluminum case, made by simple bending, is the result of cost saving efforts. Incidentally, the case does look sort of nice. On the inside they did not skimp on costs: the four AD5791BRUZ converter chips are expensive, among others.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I feel like we are living for little if looks have no value at all.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I feel like we are living for little if looks have no value at all.

Did anyone complain about looks of high end gear 25, 30 years ago? I think everyone values looks, but the bling obsession with it is something else entirely.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Knowledge is power No PUN ! Dan has been at this for a while. He learned early on that there are audiophiles and then there are audioPHALICS ! Build it and charge what you want. Are there $250,000 worth of parts ? NOPE ! If you cant build an amplifier there is $250,000 in knowledge !

Reactions: DaveyF

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

That's what a lot of people say about the faceplate of my Pass XA.5s mono amps. A smooth rectangular box might sound just as nice, but people like putting their amps between their speakers for everyone to see, and some think they look cool. I'd like to put mine in the basement out of sight. Everyone has a different taste.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That's what a lot of people say about the faceplate of my Pass XA.5s mono amps. I smooth rectangular box might sound just as nice, but people like putting their amps between their speakers for everyone to see, and some think they look cool. I'd like to put mine in the basement out of sight. Everyone has a different taste.

Should someone make a "hide-an-amp" ottoman or table or something? It would probably need active cooling. o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing