What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Thank you. The mats are called puresound tenuto and made out of machined gun metal, aka red brass.
Thanks for the info. I have tried 6mm thick copper mat on my slate Lenco and didn't think it worked out that well. Will look into this puresound mat.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Thanks for the info. I have tried 6mm thick copper mat on my slate Lenco and didn't think it worked out that well. Will look into this puresound mat.

On the lencos i actually use a cork mat between the platter and metal mat.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My first cartridge was a koetsu black in the early 80s with a luxman pd 441 tt. The arm was koetsu as well.since than I have never had one but I still remember the special sound it had.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
My first cartridge was a koetsu black in the early 80s with a luxman pd 441 tt. The arm was koetsu as well.since than I have never had one but I still remember the special sound it had.
Thats a pretty great first rig! A pd444 with an fr64s will still give most modern tables quite a run...

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Thats a pretty great first rig! A pd444 with an fr64s will still give most modern tables quite a run...
Yes it was top notch at the time. Of course being only 16 I couldn’t afford stuff like this. Thanks to my dad giving vinyl up for the cd I bought it of him alot cheaper.wish I held onto it now because it was mint condition when I sold it about 8 years later and gave vinyl up myself. Of course that was a huge mistake and vinyl is back in my system now.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi to@ll,
Thorens 124, heavy plinth lead in there25kg,demagnetized platter, other bearings and friction wheel.DIY Air Suspension.
with TW 10.5 Zyx Airy 3x copper, AAA Forumstonearm Prototype with Ortofon Vienna.
cartridges to play in the drawer, Lyra Titan i, Audio Technica Art 1, Ortofon Vero Sota, Shinon Red .... etc
20210220_213646.jpg 20210220_213749.jpg

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi to@ll,
Thorens 124, heavy plinth lead in there25kg,demagnetized platter, other bearings and friction wheel.DIY Air Suspension.
with TW 10.5 Zyx Airy 3x copper, AAA Forumstonearm Prototype with Ortofon Vienna.
cartridges to play in the drawer, Lyra Titan i, Audio Technica Art 1, Ortofon Vero Sota, Shinon Red .... etc
View attachment 75217 View attachment 75218
Very nice Mr.GoodEar ! :)

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
A brinkmann Bardo ; P1090812 (1).jpg

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
A very pleasing set-up (to me, at least!):

A 1972 Lenco L75 with PTP-6, slate plinth, panzerholz armboards, with a 9" Schroeder Reference/Allaerts MC-1b; and a 12" Alfred Bokrand Ortofon/Ortofon SPU GE mk2. A selection of carts waiting to get properly set in their headshells: a ZU Denon DL-103R; a Benz Micro Glider (1st version) with Soundsmith boron cantilever and Nude Contact stylus; a Signet 5Ea (my first cartridge: totally sentimental, but it actually sounds better than dragging a chicken's foot across the record!); a pristine Shure V15 Type iii, original stylus and cantilever; and hiden away, a Shure V15 Type iii with Jico SAS Saphire and a cocobolo body.

The rack is a temporary thing, as the wife insists the system (except for the speakers, thank Dog) move out of the living room when not in use. This is the challenge of a New York City apartment, where I can't have a dedicated listening space, or even a fixed location for the kit. The rack is about the worst one could have - a restaurant cart by Metro that rings if you look at it sideways, but I've filled the legs with oil-soaked lead shot, and stuck blobs of Blu-tac in various places to help damp the thing. The HRS helps the amp better than anything else I've tried. At least it's on heavy duty wheels, and it can take the weight of the Lenco (85 lbs).

Below the Lenco are a few pieces of Schiit, an AirTight ATC-1 with Tutay improvements (though he did them about 15 years ago, and now I can't remember what they were!), and a real gem: a Don Garber-built, Noriasu Komuro-designed "Komuro 70," built on a Dynaco ST-70 chassis with A470 output transformers. One of only 2 ever made. I have no idea what happened to the first one Don built, but I'm glad I've held on to this one. 35 watts of hammers and silk. Set of Pryma headphones for listening when I've been exiled from the living room. Not bad 'phones for the price, and helpful when I'm fine-tuning the cartridges.

I apologize for making Mike L jealous...Mike, you're my hero, and if you promise to give me your digital front end when you tire of it, I'll give you my Leica. o_O I'll throw in the Gerry Mulligan too. IMG_7362.jpg IMG_7363.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing