What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
True enough…i’m spoiled a bit, as i run a first-month-of-production TD-124, fully restored by Greg Metz at STS Turntables, and a Lenco L75/PTP 6 on slate. They are both stunning (to me!), but i have heard a NEAT that was every much an equal.

Sad with all the material advances of the last 50 years very few new idlers exist. I’ve never heard (or even seen, for that matter) a Saskia, but i would love to. Whoever bought Mike Lavigne’s Saskia got a killer ‘table!

what are your impressions of the STS 124 Vs the slate lenco

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
That's a fair question, and one i'm not sure I can answer effectively. I've got the two tables set up differently, and in different systems, partially due to the space challenges of a New York City apartment.

The Thorens is in our living room, running through an Airtight ATC-1 preamp and usually a Fi Komuro 70, which is currently being re-capped. It has been temporarily replaced by a Flea Watt 7492-based class D amp putting out 20 watts (and it sounds much much better than it should!!), speakers are JC Morrison PipeDreams, 1/4-wave tapered pipe single driver (Focal 7v513) augmented with Tannoy ST-100 supertweeters. The Revox B77 is part of this set-up. The TD-124 is there because the entire system has to fit on - hold your breath, now! - a single radiator cover at the end of the room. I know, heresy! But we have to make due with the space we've got, and the needs of other family members for the room. The Lenco is in my little office space, running through an Elekit TU-8500 preamp and a Schiit Lyr headamp and Pryma headphones. The slate base is just too big to fit in the space available in the Living Room, but it has a Schroeder Reference with Allaerts MC-1b, and a Bokrand 12" now sporting a magnificent Sony xl-55 pro. The Thorens has the possibility of 4 different arms: a Signet SK-50 with SIgnet TK10-ml, an Infinity Black Widow with a B&O MMC-2, an SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved, and a Grado Lab Series wood with Shure M7d. And I have about 25 cartridges set to go on the SME... these days I am using a Monster Cable Sigma Genesis 2000 through a Redboy vintage RCA SUT. What I like about both tables is the immediacy. Sometimes I sensed my Teres 340 (belt drive) had moments where parts of the music had to catch up with each other, but I don't sense this at all with the idlers. And they are incredibly quiet. Both have excellent plinths for their respective tehnologies (the TD-124 is on a DAS macassar ebony plinth). Some day I'll get them hooked up together, but it won't be soon. I've wanted to do a shoot-out amongst arms and cartridges that have good synergy, but that won't be soon. Sorry I can't really answer the question. Hopefully some day I will.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
That's a fair question, and one i'm not sure I can answer effectively. I've got the two tables set up differently, and in different systems, partially due to the space challenges of a New York City apartment.

The Thorens is in our living room, running through an Airtight ATC-1 preamp and usually a Fi Komuro 70, which is currently being re-capped. It has been temporarily replaced by a Flea Watt 7492-based class D amp putting out 20 watts (and it sounds much much better than it should!!), speakers are JC Morrison PipeDreams, 1/4-wave tapered pipe single driver (Focal 7v513) augmented with Tannoy ST-100 supertweeters. The Revox B77 is part of this set-up. The TD-124 is there because the entire system has to fit on - hold your breath, now! - a single radiator cover at the end of the room. I know, heresy! But we have to make due with the space we've got, and the needs of other family members for the room. The Lenco is in my little office space, running through an Elekit TU-8500 preamp and a Schiit Lyr headamp and Pryma headphones. The slate base is just too big to fit in the space available in the Living Room, but it has a Schroeder Reference with Allaerts MC-1b, and a Bokrand 12" now sporting a magnificent Sony xl-55 pro. The Thorens has the possibility of 4 different arms: a Signet SK-50 with SIgnet TK10-ml, an Infinity Black Widow with a B&O MMC-2, an SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved, and a Grado Lab Series wood with Shure M7d. And I have about 25 cartridges set to go on the SME... these days I am using a Monster Cable Sigma Genesis 2000 through a Redboy vintage RCA SUT. What I like about both tables is the immediacy. Sometimes I sensed my Teres 340 (belt drive) had moments where parts of the music had to catch up with each other, but I don't sense this at all with the idlers. And they are incredibly quiet. Both have excellent plinths for their respective tehnologies (the TD-124 is on a DAS macassar ebony plinth). Some day I'll get them hooked up together, but it won't be soon. I've wanted to do a shoot-out amongst arms and cartridges that have good synergy, but that won't be soon. Sorry I can't really answer the question. Hopefully some day I will.
I do have to say that the STS is so incredibly well-made and is very beautiful. Greg is an excellent character and a fine craftsman with an extraordinary ear. I'm a huge fan.

Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
True enough…i’m spoiled a bit, as i run a first-month-of-production TD-124, fully restored by Greg Metz at STS Turntables, and a Lenco L75/PTP 6 on slate. They are both stunning (to me!), but i have heard a NEAT that was every much an equal.

Sad with all the material advances of the last 50 years very few new idlers exist. I’ve never heard (or even seen, for that matter) a Saskia, but i would love to. Whoever bought Mike Lavigne’s Saskia got a killer ‘table!
You know.... we all love to see pictures ;) You should show us all your TD-124 and the Lenco L75/PTP 6 :cool:
Best wishes,
Don

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Wowza Robert! That plinth on the Thorens is absolutely gorgeous! In fact, both tables I would consider heirloom pieces! Not to mention the nice collection of arms to play with.
Thank you for sharing these pics with us, very cool indeed :cool:

Best wishes,
Don
Thank you Don! The collection of cartridges is even more insane. Sadly, I've determined that I am no longer capable of managing my hobby, so I'mm selling off a lot of the stuff. The Grado arm is on the block (he writes with tears in his eyes).

There's just too much stuff, and the hobby is so full of amazing kit...But I need to spend the last segment of my life listening to music, not experimenting with cartridges and arms.

Reactions: emoonie

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada

The Thorens is in our living room, running through an Airtight ATC-1 preamp and usually a Fi Komuro 70, which is currently being re-capped. It has been temporarily replaced by a Flea Watt 7492-based class D amp putting out 20 watts (and it sounds much much better than it should!!), speakers are JC Morrison PipeDreams, 1/4-wave tapered pipe single driver (Focal 7v513) augmented with Tannoy ST-100 supertweeters. The Revox B77 is part of this set-up. The TD-124 is there because the entire system has to fit on - hold your breath, now! - a single radiator cover at the end of the room. I know, heresy! But we have to make do with the space we've got, and the needs of other family members for the room. The Lenco is in my little office space, running through an Elekit TU-8500 preamp and a Schiit Lyr headamp and Pryma headphones. The slate base is just too big to fit in the space available in the Living Room, but it has a Schroeder Reference with Allaerts MC-1b, and a Bokrand 12" now sporting a magnificent Sony xl-55 pro. The Thorens has the possibility of 4 different arms: a Signet SK-50 with SIgnet TK10-ml, an Infinity Black Widow with a B&O MMC-2, an SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved, and a Grado Lab Series wood with Shure M7d. And I have about 25 cartridges set to go on the SME... these days I am using a Monster Cable Sigma Genesis 2000 through a Redboy vintage RCA SUT. What I like about both tables is the immediacy. Sometimes I sensed my Teres 340 (belt drive) had moments where parts of the music had to catch up with each other, but I don't sense this at all with the idlers. And they are incredibly quiet. Both have excellent plinths for their respective tehnologies (the TD-124 is on a DAS macassar ebony plinth). Some day I'll get them hooked up together, but it won't be soon. I've wanted to do a shoot-out amongst arms and cartridges that have good synergy, but that won't be soon. Sorry I can't really answer the question. Hopefully some day I will.
Tough choices, lol!
Love your systems.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Thank you Don! The collection of cartridges is even more insane. Sadly, I've determined that I am no longer capable of managing my hobby, so I'mm selling off a lot of the stuff. The Grado arm is on the block (he writes with tears in his eyes).

There's just too much stuff, and the hobby is so full of amazing kit...But I need to spend the last segment of my life listening to music, not experimenting with cartridges and arms.
I can certainly understand that! I think I may be in the same camp. My system will never make the What's Best roster, but it still engages my emotions and gives me much enjoyment... and that's what is important to me ;) My audio monies as of late has been focused on just buying more really great vinyl pressings and adding to my record collection.

Best wishes,
Don

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I’m afraid I have to agree on a point… Kuzma has proven undeniable in its remarkable engineering and performance, especially the 4Point tonearm, though “elegance” is not the first word that comes to mind for me, sorry. If I owned one, it would reside in a utility closet. I feel no lust for its beauty of finish, it’s feel, nor sultry, sinuous lines. It has no draw (for me), no romance, like that of a beautiful woman, an early Ferrari, or Alfa Romeo. But as a brutish assault vehicle it dominates impeccably. Amazing sound. For those who love it, and there are plenty who do, my sincere apologies for my frank disapproval. I will live with (perhaps) less to satisfy my esthetic needs.
After living with the Stabi R for several months, I am very impressed with its ease of use. It’s an absolute joy to own and operate. It’s only after using it for a while that one comes to appreciate how thoughtful the design is, and how well it’s engineered.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
After living with the Stabi R for several months, I am very impressed with its ease of use. It’s an absolute joy to own and operate. It’s only after using it for a while that one comes to appreciate how thoughtful the design is, and how well it’s engineered.

Franc Kuzma is simply a brilliant designer. I would love to have the Saphir arm.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Yes, I have exactly the same experiences and feelings with the Kuzma XL DC with 4Point 11" arm which I have owned and used now for approx. 14 months.
It's such a joy to set-up and use.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Franc Kuzma is simply a brilliant designer. I would love to have the Saphir arm.
Yes, 100% agree with you Lee.

All Kuzma products are exceptional for all budgets.

Yes, the Kuzma Saphir9 would be very nice...maybe one day.
However, the 4Point arms are also fantastic both to install, set-up and use, so for now I am more than happy with my 4Point 11".

Reactions: Lee and No Regrets

JH_No

Mar 8, 2023
Glad to see another G401 + AB309 pairing!

As a long-time DIYer, I appreciate this aesthetic. Congrats!

What's the cool looking tonearm at the back?
Thanks @je2a3, it's a Korf TA-SF9R tonearm, paired with Korf ceramic headshell and Ikeda 9TS.

The plinth is only temporary, and made of very light and low density fiber/plywood boards. Still not decided which way to go, but I think I might go with a quite rough plywood look, but with better precision and more sound dead than now.

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com
Thanks @je2a3, it's a Korf TA-SF9R tonearm, paired with Korf ceramic headshell and Ikeda 9TS.
Nice!
The plinth is only temporary, and made of very light and low density fiber/plywood boards. Still not decided which way to go, but I think I might go with a quite rough plywood look, but with better precision and more sound dead than now.

My G301 and 401 are on heavy layered plywood plinths.

But I've also used the G401 plinth-less...

...as well as my TD124.

Assuming that the turntable is adjusted/tweaked for lowest noise, IME, plinth-less (or a lighter plinth) project a more laid back, natural and airy sound albeit with less bass slam. It's a sound quality akin to open baffle speakers and flea power (less than 2Wpc) SE-DHT amps with no negative feedback.

In the end it's about synergizing the rest of the hifi set up to one's taste.

Enjoy the adventure and happy listening!

JH_No

Mar 8, 2023
Nice!

My G301 and 401 are on heavy layered plywood plinths.

But I've also used the G401 plinth-less...

...as well as my TD124.

Assuming that the turntable is adjusted/tweaked for lowest noise, IME, plinth-less (or a lighter plinth) project a more laid back, natural and airy sound albeit with less bass slam. It's a sound quality akin to open baffle speakers and flea power (less than 2Wpc) SE-DHT amps with no negative feedback.

In the end it's about synergizing the rest of the hifi set up to one's taste.

Enjoy the adventure and happy listening!
Really nice turntables you have there! I really like the rugged look of the 301 and 401, and that will probably be the way for me too. I have also considered the Acoustand classic plinth, which is the same principle as the original SME plinth for 401, but a bit more rugged and heavier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing