What Was Your First Audio Show?

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento
For me, it was Stereophile '93 in San Francisco. At the time, I'd only been in the hobby for less than three years and was a treat to see all the equipment and writer's that I had read about.

I remember seeing J. Gordon Holt pass by me as a tiny wisp of a man.

Although I was in hobby since 1992 my first audio show was 2010 Munich.
DSC01447.JPG

DSC01458.JPG

DSC01427.JPG
IMG_0097.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0237.JPGIMG_0144.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

Reactions: Amir
Well my first show was local in my city, but at the same time it was then the biggest audio/highend show in Scandinavia .
Remember listening to som big Sonus Faber speakers as well as i think it was Krell amplifiers and Hans Theessink playing live.
It was a treat at that time to be able to listen to things that at that time i was only reading about.
Also remembering that Ole Kliffort was making a demo of the impact of cables... and its about 40 years ago !

Reactions: Scott Naylor
You guys are so young! My first hifi show was probably in Washington DC in the late 1960s when I was in high school, but the ones I recall most vividly were in Philadelphia in 1970-74 when I was in college. I remember talking to Bud Fried (IMF) about his transmission line speakers.

Reactions: mtemur
You guys are so young!
You, too. ;)

My first is, I am afraid, obscured by the clouds of memory but it was a NY HiFi Show some in the late '50s (or early '60s) at the Hotel New Yorker. Everything was new.

IFA Berlin 1973--Grundig showed Holograhic Ballet TV transmission in the round--cool!--Braun white units, Phillips 212 TT. Geloso Wire recorders,
Beomaster 3000-wooo! Beat Club Bremen on the PA--ha!
Good Time,

BruceD

My first was in Milan in 1974,SIM,was the only one in Italy and enough big
Listened Magnepan Timpany,RTR,Klipshorn,Jbl 4343 with ML3,biggest Tannoy,ARC ,
That day started my big passion

In 1990 i flight to Chicago with friends for the Chicago show,was the biggest in Usa

You, too. ;)

My first is, I am afraid, obscured by the clouds of memory but it was a NY HiFi Show some in the late '50s (or early '60s) at the Hotel New Yorker. Everything was new.
If this trend continues I’m afraid somebody who attended the introduction of original Edison phonograph will be next.

Reactions: dennis h
My first audio show was at McCormick s Place in Chicago- the 1989 CES. The high end audio gear was set up in the hotel across the street. Me and a buddy went to the show for the day. It was an amazing experience for me at the time. We visited CES where I got to see a demonstration of Sony’s HD TV. It was analog back then but truly amazing. Never thought I would have to wait 13 years to experience that in my own living room.
The hotel was full of gear on several floors. The most memorable event was in the ballroom. Four large electrostatic panels spread several feet apart with four large ARC amplifiers. In the center was a turntable and an ARC preamp. They played an orchestral piece and it was like I was the conductor standing in front of a real orchestra. 1:1 life size and I could pick out each instrument in the orchestra.
This is the day I also discovered PRAT. I didn’t know that term at the time but I heard dozens of different turntables and I recall some just sounded so good, the music flowed so natural while other turntables, not so much.
I recall lots of expensive cables on display and demonstration. I remember my buddy and I snickering at the idea of super expensive cables. Look at me now.
I count this as one of my best days. What an adventure.

I would have to say late 70's KEF 105?

Rob :)

Stereophile Show, Los Angeles, 1998. i knew no one.

had got serious about hifi in 1994.

Stereophile, and my local hifi dealer, Definitive Audio, were my go-to info sources. i owned Wilson Watt Puppy's, and Mark Levinson electronics. had just joined the local hifi club a couple years prior. was starting to meet local audiophiles.

pre-hifi on line forums. the next year there were news groups, then 1999-2000 you had Audiogon and Audio Asylum enter the picture. information sharing became common place, and the world opened up for a guy from Seattle.

Last edited:
CES, McCormick Place circa 1979, at the invite of my friend and mentor, Mike Kay of Lyric Hi-Fi. An experience I will never forget!

My first from memory was the Harrogate show around 1979 and was the largest in the Uk at the time, spread over 4 local hotels within walking distance of each other.

Remember very little (only in my early teens, it was my dads hobby) but there was early Beko and win labs turntables, tannoy, nakamichi and luxman laboratory reference series (he owned the preamp from that line)

My first hi-fi shows were at the Hotel Russell in Central London. These memorable shows ended in 1968, so my first visit was probably in 1965.

In those days, UK-built kit was amongst the world's finest and no sign of a "Made in Japan" sign, let alone China in sight!

I don't remember the name of the HIFi show, but it was in a hotel on Peahtree St. downtown in Atlanta in 1973. One of the most interesting things I heard was the Hartley 24" woofer.

1958, Los Angeles, Biltmore hotel, I remember the new stereo demos by Audio Fidelity records and talking to Edgar Villchur about his new AR turntable, and Joe Grado about his MC carts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu