What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I strongly recommand Devore Orangutan O/96. It is warm high-end with wide sound stage, never vintage like horns.
30w thoress amp drives it perfectly, I guess 10w would be possible.

Yes sounds fantastic with NAF 2a3 12w integrated, airtight 300b integrated. Can try others. Preferred them over jadis integrated 100w, airtight el34 34 watt push pull, a German 550 valve 20w amp, and silvercore 833c 20w amp (which I quite like on other speakers) I also noticed that these lower watt amps that worked with devore did not work with other speakers in the same room. The devore responds positively to lower wattage, better tubes, more nuance. Which thoress are you using, I know the hybrid, wouldn't recommend it on devore

Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kondo over ture el34 also didn't suit it. 30w

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I strongly recommand Devore Orangutan O/96. It is warm high-end with wide sound stage, never vintage like horns.
30w thoress amp drives it perfectly, I guess 10w would be possible.

Its interesting @bazelio and i much prefer the Gibbon X - which seems how it was designed. Gibbon for a more modern taste, Orangutan for the warmer, bigger tone SET-friendly sound. I will say the bass on these speakers is completely different.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
At 92dB efficiency, it doesn't appear to be a high-efficiency speaker but the manufacturer does drive the Cube Audio Nenuphar with a 2A3 amp at shows and the review on 6moons used the 10 watt SIT-1 amp with these speakers.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
At the end of the month I'm going to demo the Cube Audio Nenuphar using my own amp (assuming the pair of demo Nenuphar speakers isn't sold at next week's Montreal show).

Any thoughts on the Odeon Scala and/or the Odeon 28/3?

For the PAP, has anyone compared the Trio to the Quartet configuration or the Voxativ to the Horn1 driver?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
At the end of the month I'm going to demo the Cube Audio Nenuphar using my own amp (assuming the pair of demo Nenuphar speakers isn't sold at next week's Montreal show).

For the PAP, has anyone compared the Trio to the Quartet configuration or the Voxativ to the Horn1 driver?
Ask Morricab or Christoph, they know these Odeons well.

Reactions: christoph

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Good luck in your demos. I heard this speaker in Munich and I was sort of neutral about it. I could hear things I liked but I didn't think it had very powerful bass but give it a listen.

I would look more at the Odeon Otello and 28/3 rather than the Scala (I prefer the compression driver tweeters on Odeons...my La Bohemes sound a lot more realistic than my Rigolettos or Orfeos (that I had in the past)). A used pair of 32 or 32/2 would also be good to demo...if you have space as they are now starting to get significantly larger.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

I haven't listened to the Scala at all and to the Odeon 28/3 only at Shows where they sounded very good.

I know the models Midas, No. 32, No. 33 and 38/2 very good (own/owned them) and they are really very good Speakers.
For the (little) money, the Midas is excellent.

If you can swing the No. 33, they could be your last Speakers :cool:

The No. 33 are imho the sweetspot regarding price/performance/size in the 3-way lineup from Odeon

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I haven't listened to the Scala at all and to the Odeon 28/3 only at Shows where they sounded very good.

I know the models Midas, No. 32, No. 33 and 38/2 very good (own/owned them) and they are really very good Speakers.
For the (little) money, the Midas is excellent.

If you can swing the No. 33, they could be your last Speakers :cool:

The No. 33 are imho the sweetspot regarding price/performance/size in the 3-way lineup from Odeon

Thank you both.

My hesitancy around the No. 33 would be the down-firing bass. I live in a condo with neighbours below.
I can't tell from the Odeon website whether the No. 28/3 also has down-firing bass(?)
I'm curious, do you guys know the retail price of the Odeon No. 33? It may be far beyond my budget and not even an consideration.

One last question for christof and morricab: do you think I can drive Odeons with my 2-watt, 45 Thomas Mayer amp? My room is about 40 sq.m, I listen along the long wall at one end of the room, and I will sit 2.5m to 4m from my speakers (depending on which speakers I choose).

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you both.

My hesitancy around the No. 33 would be the down-firing bass. I live in a condo with neighbours below.
I can't tell from the Odeon website whether the No. 28/3 also has down-firing bass(?)
I'm curious, do you guys know the retail price of the Odeon No. 33? It may be far beyond my budget and not even an consideration.

One last question for christoph and morricab: do you think I can drive Odeons with my 2-watt, 45 Thomas Mayer amp? My room is about 40 sq.m, I listen along the long wall at one end of the room, and I will sit 2.5m to 4m from my speakers (depending on which speakers I choose).
The 3-way Odeons are not really downfiring.
The woofers are front firing, only the reflex opening is on the back towards the ground plate they stand on.

2 watts could be too little but that is depending on your Music taste and how loud you plan to listen.
The No. 33 is 94 dB sensitivity

Just saw that there is indeed a Distributor in Canada :cool:
https://www.odeon-audio.com/kontakt/haendler-und-vertriebe/

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The 3-way Odeons are not really downfiring.
The woofers are front firing, only the reflex opening is on the back towards the ground plate they stand on.
Price wise, where do you live? I can tell you the european list prices if you like.
2 watts could be too little but that is depending on your Music taste and how loud you plan to listen.
The No. 33 is 94 dB sensitivity

The European price will be fine. Or I can contact the distributor in my country and simply find out that way.
That's good to hear that only the port is kind of down-firing. That won't be a problem. I listen in the mid 80sdB with peaks to 90dB spl and I mostly listen to rock.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
That's good to hear that only the port is kind of down-firing. That won't be a problem. I listen in the mid 80sdB with peaks to 90dB spl and I mostly listen to rock.

And the port fires not on the floor but on the base plate.
Really hard to tell if those 2 watts are enough.
Maybe you can take along your amp to a dealer for a demo/test.
That seems to be the only way to know for sure...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thank you both.

One way to mitigate down-firing bass problems is to buy Herbie's decoupling sliders:

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collect...pike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103501367

they absorb downward bass frequencies by 20dbs and work very well for me in an apartment with neighbors below.without the decouplers, i had a noise complaint in 1 hour - its been 4 years since i installed them with no issues.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
And the port fires not on the floor but on the base plate.
Really hard to tell if those 2 watts are enough.
Maybe you can take along your amp to a dealer for a demo/test.
That seems to be the only way to know for sure...

I can take along my amplifier and do a demo of the No. 28/3. There isn't a No. 33 in Canada as far I'm aware. If I loved the No. 28 and my amp could drive it, I would likely go for the No. 33 assuming the price was right.
I should note that I had ruled out the Universum III both because of the down-firing bass and the fact that it would be such a tight fit in my condo that I'd be 2.5m from each speaker.
I see that you own both the hORNS Universum and the Odeon No. 38 and am just curious to hear your thoughts on their various strengths and weaknesses.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That's amazing that those little things can do that. Thanks.

I mean, if you are blaring hip hop at 90-100dbs they can only do so much. but i have no issues with even electronica at normal levels (75-85db). make sure you get the "GIANT" ones of course.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I mean, if you are blaring hip hop at 90-100dbs they can only do so much. but i have no issues with even electronica at normal levels (75-85db). make sure you get the "GIANT" ones of course.

I rarely ever dare to go over 91dB (peaks) in my condo and usually the music is pretty satisfying at that level. If I was in a house I know I'd push it further on some recordings though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing