What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Just a comment on Horning speakers. They really do need to be carefully matched to the room. Most are mismatched; usually the room is too small for the speaker and they need rear wall reinforcement below 200hz because of the isobarik configuration of the 8 drivers. Jeff Catalino does a pretty good job of getting the best out of them in the USA. They do not appear to be a 'popular' speaker, more a sleeper like the De Vore's and Zu's

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As a Zu owner, yes, the term "sleeper" seems appropriate. I've spent my whole adult life avoiding the "obvious" brands, Zu fits my ethos perfectly. Magico, Wilson, AG, B&W, Kef, etc, they all have enough customers. They don't need anymore, incl me.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
As a Zu owner, yes, the term "sleeper" seems appropriate. I've spent my whole adult life avoiding the "obvious" brands, Zu fits my ethos perfectly. Magico, Wilson, AG, B&W, Kef, etc, they all have enough customers. They don't need anymore, incl me.

I think Zu is much better value than Horning in the states for a FRD w/ bass array type speaker. Particularly resale as well.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think Zu is much better value than Horning in the states for a FRD w/ bass array type speaker. Particularly resale as well.
While that may be true from a resale value, the Hornings I have heard sounded overall much better than the Zus I have heard...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Would be interesting to compare the Carfrae Big Horn to the Pnoe...with the same driver of course...

The General has heard the Cafrae Big Horn although it wasn’t furnished with the AER driver that the Pnoe is. I think it was decent and had a lot to offer. Maybe he will jump in with some comments.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Arion Apollo with claimed eff of 105db/W shall be seriously considered for 10W SET amp.

It could play to ear aching volume without any strain with 300B 8W Set amp.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Arion Apollo with claimed eff of 105db/W shall be seriously considered for 10W SET amp.

It could play to ear aching volume without any strain with 300B 8W Set amp.

Any images / specs?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
While that may be true from a resale value, the Hornings I have heard sounded overall much better than the Zus I have heard...

iirc, you've never heard the Definition IV or the Druid V though

I did hear the Hornings several years ago and felt "meh" - but it was a show, not a home or dealer. I'm also not jazzed on mdf cabinets on a "30k" speaker

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham

I did hear the Hornings several years ago and felt "meh" - but it was a show, not a home or dealer. I'm also not jazzed on mdf cabinets on a "30k" speaker

Yes, but I have. I would take the Horning any time over the Zu's. They are too coloured for me. I am not so sure though about the De Vore 96 though

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The General has heard the Cafrae Big Horn although it wasn’t furnished with the AER driver that the Pnoe is. I think it was decent and had a lot to offer. Maybe he will jump in with some comments.
Well if it’s not with the same driver then all bets are off.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I have heard the Druid IV and another model that was one above the Druid at that time (2009) at Srajan Ebaen's home in Switzerland (he has since moved). If I had heard only this kind of high sensitivity speaker I would wonder what the fuss is all about...at least from those sessions.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have heard the Druid IV and another model that was one above the Druid at that time (2009) at Srajan Ebaen's home in Switzerland (he has since moved). If I had heard only this kind of high sensitivity speaker I would wonder what the fuss is all about...at least from those sessions.

the Druid IV wasn't good and quite rolled off. not at all how the newer ones sound.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Resident Zu Maven here.

Message STARTS
Ignore all Zus below Druid V and Definitions IV. Plus forget the Essence.

Zu really starts w Druid V and Definitions IV.

I mean, do the current Wilson fans rate that very first Watt/Puppy?

Message ENDS.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
I strongly recommand Devore Orangutan O/96. It is warm high-end with wide sound stage, never vintage like horns.
30w thoress amp drives it perfectly, I guess 10w would be possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190130-023355_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-023355_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: KeithR and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing