What's Best in Mid-Tier Cables

Answered my question? No, because you didn’t address the issues I raised. But your response did confirm/support my original point.
So you're saying that it's not possible to determine by casual observation, or any other method, if someone is using interconnects as a tone control(s)?

I did state at the end that I was using my opinions in my comments. For some reason you interrupted them as facts vs opinions.

Are you a troll looking for a argument?

So you're saying that it's not possible to determine by casual observation, or any other method, if someone is using interconnects as a tone control(s)?

I did state at the end that I was using my opinions in my comments. For some reason you interrupted them as facts vs opinions.

Are you a troll looking for a argument?
That's not what I said (I thought I was clear). But since you mention it, no - it is not possible to determine if someone is using interconnects (or power cables, or speaker cables) in their system to tune the sound except by asking them if they are. Not that there's anything wrong with using component/cable synergy to optimize system sound.

Not looking for an argument. Just reacting to the idea, which comes up frequently at WBF (including in your original post), that you can distinguish the sound of a component from the sound of the cables which are necessary in order to listen to it, and that somehow components are "neutral" and cables act as tone controls, varying the sound from that "neutrality". I've already explained why that is flawed thinking.

Last edited:
That's not what I said (I thought I was clear). But since you mention it, no - it is not possible to determine if someone is using interconnects (or power cables, or speaker cables) in their system to tune the sound except by asking them if they are.
Are you stating a fact or are you giving a opinion? If you're staying a fact then you must prove that fact, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Are you stating a fact or are you giving a opinion? If you're staying a fact then you must prove that fact, otherwise it's just your opinion.
It is a fact that you can't listen to a component without cables (perhaps there is some battery powered, wireless device that is the exception), which means you can't A-B-A compare a component with and without cables to determine the level of neutrality and other sound quality parameters of the component by itself. It follows factually that if you must use cables to listen to a component the only thing it is possible to hear is the interaction between components and cables.

It is a fact that you can't listen to a component without cables (perhaps there is some battery powered, wireless device that is the exception), which means you can't A-B-A compare a component with and without cables to determine the level of neutrality and other sound quality parameters of the component by itself. It follows factually that if you must use cables to listen to a component the only thing it is possible to hear is the interaction between components and cables.
My topic was A/B comparison of interconnects only, both using the exact same components except IC's from the source to my headphone energizer was different. It's really simple: it will either sound better or it won't.

If you've ever been to a eye doctor (opthalmologist) for prescription eye glasses then you'll be familiar with the phrase: "does this look better than this?",while using a refractor device with many lenses for comparisons.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill in this instance. Another cable discussion got closed recently here due to similar trolling. Ron has a nice thread going on here so don't ruin it...

Just my opinions.

My topic was A/B comparison of interconnects only, both using the exact same components except IC's from the source to my headphone energizer was different. It's really simple: it will either sound better or it won't.

If you've ever been to a eye doctor (opthalmologist) for prescription eye glasses then you'll be familiar with the phrase: "does this look better than this?",while using a refractor device with many lenses for comparisons.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill in this instance. Another cable discussion got closed recently here due to similar trolling. Ron has a nice thread going on here so don't ruin it...

Just my opinions.
Just combating folly when I encounter it.

For any folks who might be musing upon flat copper ribbon speaker cables I would recommend considering these: https://magnancables.wordpress.com/products/signature-speaker-cables/

Perhaps a little overlooked somewhat in todays busy modern cable market place , however if looking for a weighty , tonally dense presentation with no tipped up upper octaves they perform rather well.
The same here phantastic cables silver or copper

for people who love diy .... cheaper

Here you go: #17504 10B1
Had to remove a cord to properly ID it.
That power cord is the standard power cord used by Crimson Electronics for their factory issue.
I checked a site in the USA and it sells for around $9.50 each. Crimson Electronics is UK based.

The same here phantastic cables silver or copper

for people who love diy .... cheaper
Been using the flat copper ribbon Verastarr Grand Illusion II speaker cables (no longer in production but a great value used if you can find them) for almost a decade. They are still competitive with current top tier cables.

FYI: https://www.dagogo.com/verastarr-gr...nnects-speaker-wire-and-power-cords-review/2/

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr
Been using the flat copper ribbon Verastarr Grand Illusion II speaker cables (no longer in production but a great value used if you can find them) for almost a decade. They are still competitive with current top tier cables.

FYI: https://www.dagogo.com/verastarr-gr...nnects-speaker-wire-and-power-cords-review/2/
The Townshend Isolda speaker cables are awesome and not that blasted expensive. https://www.townshendaudio.com/isolda-speaker-cables/
$700.00 US for 2M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu