what's best sounding speaker you have ever heard?

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I think a better question would be what were your first HiFi speakers. Mine were AR2a then I moved to the pinnacle AR3a's when I was a senior in HS!

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
For me two Bests both heard at CAF a couple years ago:

1. Dave Slagle’s Double Quad 57s with built-in biamped 300B PP.

2. DejaVu Audio’s 3-way with Western Electric 713b in 32A horn, GIP 18” field coil in open baffle, GIP replica of WE 597a. Tungar power supplies.

Reactions: Three quid

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, but the thread title refers to “best“. I know the concept is offensive to some here. I guess it should read “favorite“.

Audio is a subjective hobby. I don't think anyone has argued against a subjective "best" or found the idea offensive. There was backlash, however, against the idea that a general consensus on "best" could be reached. This would require an objective "best" in audio, which does not exist. And no, Peter, just because you and a few others whom you agree with find something the best does not mean it is objectively the best. It's still the subjective opinion of a bunch of like-minded people.

On the other hand, there are areas where nobody who is reasonable doubts an objective best. You will find broad consensus among knowledgeable people that the James Webb Space Telescope is objectively the best space telescope, period. Just as everyone with knowledge will agree that the Large Hadron Collider is objectively the best (most powerful) particle collider out there. Nobody is offended by such consensus.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I think a better question would be what were your first HiFi speakers. Mine were AR2a then I moved to the pinnacle AR3a's when I was a senior in HS!
Wow....great speaker in your youth....AR3a....Classic.... Unfortunately my medium for music playback, while in High School was a portable transistor radio.....but it played the tunes of the day.....loved it...

• Haha
Reactions: ScottK

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Audio is a subjective hobby. I don't think anyone has argued against a subjective "best" or found the idea offensive. There was backlash, however, against the idea that a general consensus on "best" could be reached. This would require an objective "best" in audio, which does not exist. And no, Peter, just because you and a few others whom you agree with find something the best does not mean it is objectively the best. It's still the subjective opinion of a bunch of like-minded people.

On the other hand, there are areas where nobody who is reasonable doubts an objective best. You will find broad consensus among knowledgeable people that the James Webb Space Telescope is objectively the best space telescope, period. Just as everyone with knowledge will agree that the Large Hadron Collider is objectively the best (most powerful) particle collider out there. Nobody is offended by such consensus.

so does all of that simply mean that the “best“ is the same as my “favorite”?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
so does all of that simply mean that the “best“ is the same as my “favorite”?

In the case of the subjective hobby of audio, pretty much, yes.

At the very least, the two concepts come close to overlapping with each other.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Some speakers offer better imaging, that is a sonic truth.

Since there is disagreement about what constitutes "good imaging", you will also find disagreement about this "sonic truth".

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Yes, but the thread title refers to “best“. I know the concept is offensive to some here. I guess it should read “favorite“.
I was just kidding around. It never crossed my mind to find the thread title offensive as it asks for an opinion based on personal experience.

Reactions: AudioHR and PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have no doubt they are for him the best choice .
When he states " HIS " best i have no problem with that.

The "ARE " is the issue here

Exactly, The dogmatic absolutism as if this were an "objective" hobby with a "universal truth" is what we criticize.

Look, if someone is happy with their approach and thinks for them it's the best in the world, fine. But let others be happy with theirs too, without denigrating them as "they would choose differently if they knew better and had more experience" -- while forgetting that this is a subjective hobby, and more exposure may not yield the same outcome with each individual.

Or saying -- or strongly implying -- that you can achieve "Natural Sound" only with certain SET and certain high-efficiency components. If it's your preferred "Natural Sound", that's fine, but it may not be others' "natural sound".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If it's your preferred "Natural Sound", that's fine, but it may not be others' "natural sound".

No your natural sound comes from adjusting your tube traps every few months

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So then you should not get triggered when Ked says SETs and horns are best.

he doesn’t get triggered when I say it. He often triggers it himself going about the forum anti horns, often when I am nowhere in the discussion

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have no doubt they are for him the best choice .
When he states " HIS " best i have no problem with that.

The "ARE " is the issue here

Thank you.

This post just saved you from being the first person I have ever put on "ignore."

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Exactly, The dogmatic absolutism as if this were an "objective" hobby with a "universal truth" is what we criticize.

Look, if someone is happy with their approach and thinks for them it's the best in the world, fine. But let others be happy with theirs too, without denigrating them as "they would choose differently if they knew better and had more experience" -- while forgetting that this is a subjective hobby, and more exposure may not yield the same outcome with each individual.

+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing