what's best sounding speaker you have ever heard?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I've noticed the 'there is no better' brigade are often 'digital only' audiophiles. Is this a coincidence I wonder.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As someone who committed a long time ago not to split resources across multiple sources and is digital only, I definitely believe there is ALWAYS better. You just have to make it or find it. Forget audio. That's just life.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
You are effectively eliminating the concept of implicit.

"The fact that you have not said something does not rule out that you are in fact saying it implicitly"

Bzzzzt - the buzzer sounds. You are eliminated for shallow argument.

The rejection is not of "the concept of implicit" but of the absence of evidence on which the purported implicit implication exists. I say let's see it or stop your self indulgent whining - just lay it out al, resnick,hogan, facten, lee, kingsrule. Be explicit so there is no doubt. Here is the opportunity for all the perpetual victims to have their class action prosecution and enjoy the comfort of your numbers -- maybe have a group hug. Let's see the evidence for the implicit charge. There is none. You don't have any.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've noticed the 'there is no better' brigade are often 'digital only' audiophiles. Is this a coincidence I wonder.

The “there is no better brigade” is pretty funny. Al knows there is poor, good, and better. We used to discuss the systems of our friends, and each other’s, and what we heard in various settings, and rank them in terms of specific sonic attributes and describe how they sounded to us. We often had very strong opinions about what systems worked and didn’t in specific areas. Other audiophiles likely do this too.

I don’t believe there are any audio files who don’t prefer some systems over others for whatever reason. They might not want to admit it publicly on a forum for any number of reasons. We have preferences and we judge the quality of presentations. Listening, judging, and discussing is one way to learn.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
The “there is no better brigade” is pretty funny. Al knows there is poor, good, and better. We used to discuss the systems of our friends, and each other’s, and what we heard in various settings, and rank them in terms of specific sonic attributes and describe how they sounded to us. We often had very strong opinions about what systems worked and didn’t in specific areas. Other audiophiles likely do this too.

I don’t believe there are any audio files who don’t prefer some systems over others for whatever reason. They might not want to admit it publicly on a forum for any number of reasons. We have preferences and we judge the quality of presentations. Listening, judging, and discussing is one way to learn.
You're too kind. Do you believe in absolute truths in audio/sound reproduction?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am not going to say I have heard a "Best" speaker. I hear speakers that play well. And other that don't really move me. I play more Jazz and Classical with Standards. I do whip out some pop and rock at times. Anyhow, I did work at a dealers showroom in Portland OR. He carried Coherent Audio speakers.
I liked what I heard. I would call it a Quasi horn. Ported box woofer with a midrange horn shot through the center and a horn tweeter on top. With the right amp of a SET on up in power and you have a really good speaker. They also look good. I could have them in my living room.

You want the Reference of each line. Better wire and crossover parts. And, these speakers are relatively affordable. The 18 inch Ref is only $17,800. All the others are less. Down to $6600 for a compact 10 inch driver. But I think the 15" and 18" are more the real deal.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
I am not going to say I have heard a "Best" speaker. I hear speakers that play well. And other that don't really move me. I play more Jazz and Classical with Standards. I do whip out some pop and rock at times. Anyhow, I did work at a dealers showroom in Portland OR. He carried Coherent Audio speakers.
I liked what I heard. I would call it a Quasi horn. Ported box woofer with a midrange horn shot through the center and a horn tweeter on top. With the right amp of a SET on up in power and you have a really good speaker. They also look good. I could have them in my living room.

You want the Reference of each line. Better wire and crossover parts. And, these speakers are relatively affordable. The 18 inch Ref is only $17,800. All the others are less. Down to $6600 for a compact 10 inch driver. But I think the 15" and 18" are more the real deal.
As I have Coherent Audio speakers I have to respond!. Very positively!

My first were the Coherent Neo 15, they were exceptional for the price and played well with my first explorations into the SET world. Coherent is a small Canadian company and their speakers are basically custom made for you by speaker designer and master craftsman Frank Fazzalari. The workmanship is outstanding and his innovative but keep it simple design yields sound well beyond what you might expect.

The Coherent 15 are wonderful and punch well above their price class and for the average audiophile it could be an end game speaker. Fazzalari in this design made the decision to provide quick accurate bass rather than the usual faux full but inarticulate bass. While extremely satisfying for most music those that feel the need for deeper bass might want to consider a subwoofer.

After visiting Frank in Ontario, Canada I was intrigued by what he was exploring with a new 18" driver. I was extremely pleased with the Neo 15 but despite their exceptionally musical performance they lacked that last bit of deep bass and well slam. In conversation with him and some early adopters I was excited about the potential of his latest speaker. So I decided to order his 18" model.

So as good as his previous Neo 15 was the Neo 18 is at the next level! The vividness, dimensionality and dynamics along with their deep and wide soundstage makes the music sound real! The musicians are there in your room. And yes the low end is all there deep, full and rich!

So end game? How would I know, I probably haven't heard as many speakers as most of you? Still I have been around and heard some exceptional systems. These modestly priced speakers, don't let that scare you, lol, need to be considered, especially if you are tube and/ or SET inclined!

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2290.jpeg
    IMG_2290.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 32

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
As I have Coherent Audio speakers I have to respond!. Very positively!

My first were the Coherent Neo 15, they were exceptional for the price and played well with my first explorations into the SET world. Coherent is a small Canadian company and their speakers are basically custom made for you by speaker designer and master craftsman Frank Fazzalari. The workmanship is outstanding and his innovative but keep it simple design yields sound well beyond what you might expect.

The Coherent 15 are wonderful and punch well above their price class and for the average audiophile it could be an end game speaker. Fazzalari in this design made the decision to provide quick accurate bass rather than the usual faux full but inarticulate bass. While extremely satisfying for most music those that feel the need for deeper bass might want to consider a subwoofer.

After visiting Frank in Ontario, Canada I was intrigued by what he was exploring with a new 18" driver. I was extremely pleased with the Neo 15 but despite their exceptionally musical performance they lacked that last bit of deep bass and well slam. In conversation with him and some early adopters I was excited about the potential of his latest speaker. So I decided to order his 18" model.

So as good as his previous Neo 15 was the Neo 18 is at the next level! The vividness, dimensionality and dynamics along with their deep and wide soundstage makes the music sound real! The musicians are there in your room. And yes the low end is all there deep, full and rich!

So end game? How would I know, I probably haven't heard as many speakers as most of you? Still I have been around and heard some exceptional systems. These modestly priced speakers, don't let that scare you, lol, need to be considered, especially if you are tube and/ or SET inclined!
Is that a Decware your driving them with. I heard the 18s and like the look. I was told that is the speaker to get. I wish the smallet ones punched as high. I need a living room set of speakers.

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
Darn, he beat me to it. It doesn't matter. But that doesn't mean I don't care.
Hey Tim - small world. I think you guys were impressed with how my TAD R1's measured (Australia). Still my favourite speaker to this day. Unfortunately, they needed a bigger room than I had available at the time. Best, Marc

Reactions: Tim Link

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Is that a Decware your driving them with. I heard the 18s and like the look. I was told that is the speaker to get. I wish the smallet ones punched as high. I need a living room set of speakers.
I do have the Decware Zen Triode but so far I have only played the Coherent 18s with my Shindo Cortese 300b. The Decware and Coherent 15 sounded lovely together so I would anticipate it would play well with the 18.

The Coherent 18 are the ones to get, as good as the Neo 15 are the 18 truly is a next level speaker.

All of the Coherent speakers are extremely attractive in my opinion. There are a number of finishes available and Frank would likely customize something for you if you wished.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
At Axpona the big wilsons in the big room are very impressive. I enjoyed the self powered Legacy Aeris enough to make an offer on the floor demos at axpona 22. In short demos I'm easily impressed tho' and usually after time I find something that ruins the illusion.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
The best speaker I have heard is the Aries Cerat Aurora speakers. As a result, I ordered a pair. I hope they sound as good in my room as when I heard them.

While I have heard hundreds of speakers around the country, Most of the time I was listening to speakers in my price range ($20k - 160k). I am sure there are many speakers that sound better for more or less money but I am budget constrained to a degree.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
While I have heard hundreds of speakers around the country, Most of the time I was listening to speakers in my price range ($20k - 160k). I am sure there are many speakers that sound better for more or less money but I am budget constrained to a degree.
Will , might you decrypt this a little please.

Reactions: joaovieira

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Argonaut
I have been on multiple speaker journeys that were chronicled in this forum and Audiogon. I have traveled the country listening to speakers that would meet my budget. I have had B&W, Wilson, Sonus Faber, and Viking Acoustic Grande Voix Dual horn speakers.
During this journey, I heard some speakers I could not afford in the 200k-350k range that I did not like. I had no intention of ordering the AC Aurora speakers until I heard them. Then I said, wtf, this is my be-all end-all speaker for me. It cost me a lot of jewelry for my wife as she loves the Viking speakers.

TBH, I was hoping to get a speaker under $75k. So going to the Aurora is a major investment for me.

So, while I have heard a ton of speakers at various price points and types, if I knew they were over my price range I really didn't listen to them with the critical ear that I do for whatever I end up purchasing. I never thought I would end up with horn speakers, but I just loved the sound.

I don't know if I decrypted your note but if I did not please ask me any question that comes to mind.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Much clearer Will , and congratulations … I wish you Joy of your new Aries Cerat Aurora horns .

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Second system, then :p
Christoph --- now that was funny and true. My wife has finally caught on to my expensive hobby. So for every component or cord/cable I now get she is demanding jewelry...lol. Some of you might say I should get rid of her. Thank God the jewelry does not equate to the cost of my audio addiction. I did promise her that this was it....no more buying.

• Haha
Reactions: PYP

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Christoph --- now that was funny and true. My wife has finally caught on to my expensive hobby. So for every component or cord/cable I now get she is demanding jewelry...lol. Some of you might say I should get rid of her. Thank God the jewelry does not equate to the cost of my audio addiction. I did promise her that this was it....no more buying.
When I shop hifi or motorcycles I have to consider whatever I spend will come with an additional luxury tax.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Mine too…I hate this hobby…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing