What's Everybody Using at Home to Playback Their Reel to Reel Tapes?

What's Everybody Using at Home to Playback Their Reel to Reel Tapes?

• Total voters

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not sure about the noise floor since never asked Charles for the measurements. Maybe if he's reading this, Charles can chime in.

I do know however, what you're referring to when talking about the decks noise floor. I heard the same thing with the K/C - specifically the unit's transparency and resolution.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
K/C Noise "floor"

Myles,

Just happened to do some measurements on my "reference" and one other K/C preamp I have here. In the 50dB gain position, with a 200 ohm (tantalum) resistor to simulate the tape head - on my spectrum analyzer, the highest individual "noise levels" were -82dB @ 60hz, -83dB @ 120hz. Everything else was below -87dB. These levels were referenced to 0dB (~ 3/4 of a volt) - a fairly common reference level

Charles

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
K/C "Noise" floor - another way to look at it

Sorry about the previous "techie" response.

"Practically" - on my system (and judging from other customer feedback) - at "normal" listening levels AND with NO material playing - you won't hear any hum or noise even if you put your ear right up against the speaker.

PLEASE, NEVER do this with something playing.

One customer with a low output MC cartridge, who has to use the 60dB gain position, reports "a little" noise.

Charles

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Wow, the pics posted in this thread show off some really nice equipment. I purchased a used Pioneer RT-707 from its original owner last summer. After a general cleaning and changing the counter belt, the unit works perfectly and I would rate it in NM condition. As for tapes, I usually pick up used Maxell and TDK tape off ebay and then bulk erase it (using my patented decaying field move!). I find the polyester backing on the Maxell and TDK brands make them virtually imprevious to shedding which is a huge problem with old Ampex, BASF, etc. I also purchased some new stock Quantegy from the manufacturer a few months ago. It is stock that left from the last production run, although I was told that they are looking to scale down the manufacturing facility in order to get back into production. Nonetheless, the new Quantegy does not stand up to even the old Maxell UD and TDK tape. That, however, is JMHO.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Hi Fred,
You are in my neck of the woods, well almost I am in Terrytown on the Westbank. We have an audio club if you are interested.

Jay

Hi Jay,

PM me with details. Always interested in talking audio shop.

Dave Pogue

Jun 12, 2010
Late to the show, but I'm using an Otari MX5050 BII2 with tape-head outputs installed by a friend, Stuart Polansky, into a tubed tapehead/phono preamp he designed that offers NAB/IEC/RIAA switching. Tubes are 6AQ8/ECC85 (2), 6FQ7 and OA2 with a 6X4 in separate power supply. Sound is great IMHO. I also have a Teac A2300SD (Dolby) to play Dolbyized Barclay-Crockers and others.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's always fascinating to find that there are a lot of underground tape Repros floating around the universe!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Late to the show, but I'm using an Otari MX5050 BII2 with tape-head outputs installed by a friend, Stuart Polansky, into a tubed tapehead/phono preamp he designed that offers NAB/IEC/RIAA switching. Tubes are 6AQ8/ECC85 (2), 6FQ7 and OA2 with a 6X4 in separate power supply. Sound is great IMHO. I also have a Teac A2300SD (Dolby) to play Dolbyized Barclay-Crockers and others.

I'd like to know more about that tube head amp

Dave Pogue

Jun 12, 2010
Steve, it started out as the tapehead variant of a Bottlehead Seduction kit but essentially the only thing left from that is a top plate and two tube sockets. What can I say? One thing led to another as the design evolved and he may make more if the interest is there, though it's still pretty early and pricing is still a question mark. I had Stuart set it up so I could revert to the internal Otari electronics at any time.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Steve, it started out as the tapehead variant of a Bottlehead Seduction kit but essentially the only thing left from that is a top plate and two tube sockets. What can I say? One thing led to another as the design evolved and he may make more if the interest is there, though it's still pretty early and pricing is still a question mark. I had Stuart set it up so I could revert to the internal Otari electronics at any time.

Dave:

Are you just playing your own or pre-recored tapes or have you been getting some of the Tape Project tapes?

Dave Pogue

Jun 12, 2010
All of the above, including borrowed TP tapes (not a subscriber). I've been collecting tapes since the 60s.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
First post to this thread... Have a number of issues on tape, LP and CD; namely, Santana/Santana - tape (3-3/4 ips) clearly outshines everything else; Brahms Piano Concerto No 2 Mehta/Barenboim on 7-1/s ips, LP and CD - tape sounds a far superiort, LP very close. The Santana is a very good demo of what tapes can do even at low speeds, and not even the MoFi xfer to CD can come close; don't know why it's so difficult, perhaps HDCD would help here??? What I can tell you is that the Revox B77 MkII, with original hardware (and hardly visible head wear) can be hardly beat with these tapes, despite the outdated electronics.

Oh, and I still use the original power cord and Kimber Hero interconnects.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
ack,

welcome to this Wacky World. I started with an A77 and still recommend that someone "starting out" look for it or more recent variant to "test the waters". This hobby can get VERY expensive VERY quickly - but doesn't necessarily have to!

Enjoy your "Pleasure Machine"

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing