What's new in power regeneration?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So today, I dusted off my old PS Audio Power Plant P300 and brought it to work. Wanted to use it with the DAC (and USB S/PDIF converter) as I had always done to extract a bit more quality out of those digital bits. By accident and without me knowing, the person helping also plugged in the Mark Levinson 532H amp into it.

I sit back, do my usual test of dialing up the frequency from 60 Hz to 75 and one more, I hear an improvement. The bass becomes tighter and the sound generally becomes warmer. And as before, increasing the frequency way past that decreases fidelity. Don't ask me why the improvement occurs because the efficiency of transformer actually goes down with increased frequency. Maybe the output caps/regulator work better until the transformer really gets inefficient.

Anyway, I bring a couple of other people and semi-sighted ask them if they hear anything and they both comment exactly as I did. Feeling good, now I turn up the volume and start to see the overload light blinking. I put meter in power consumption mode and I see it going way up as I increase the volume. So ask the guy who helped me to make sure he had not plugged in the amp and he said he had.

So we unplug the amp and run the test again. To my disappointment and surprise, almost all the improvement vanishes! We plug the amp back in and the improvement comes back (OK, this could be expectation bias but let's leave that to another thread :) ).

Now I don't know if this is due to having common single point power, or that power regeneration does help the big beast. So we are going to call and find out about a bigger unit to test.

Do people use these boxes still? If so, what are your favorite brands and models?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
So today, I dusted off my old PS Audio Power Plant P300 and brought it to work. Wanted to use it with the DAC (and USB S/PDIF converter) as I had always done to extract a bit more quality out of those digital bits. By accident and without me knowing, the person helping also plugged in the Mark Levinson 532H amp into it.

I sit back, do my usual test of dialing up the frequency from 60 Hz to 75 and one more, I hear an improvement. The bass becomes tighter and the sound generally becomes warmer. And as before, increasing the frequency way past that decreases fidelity. Don't ask me why the improvement occurs because the efficiency of transformer actually goes down with increased frequency. Maybe the output caps/regulator work better until the transformer really gets inefficient.

Anyway, I bring a couple of other people and semi-sighted ask them if they hear anything and they both comment exactly as I did. Feeling good, now I turn up the volume and start to see the overload light blinking. I put meter in power consumption mode and I see it going way up as I increase the volume. So ask the guy who helped me to make sure he had not plugged in the amp and he said he had.

So we unplug the amp and run the test again. To my disappointment and surprise, almost all the improvement vanishes! We plug the amp back in and the improvement comes back (OK, this could be expectation bias but let's leave that to another thread :) ).

Now I don't know if this is due to having common single point power, or that power regeneration does help the big beast. So we are going to call and find out about a bigger unit to test.

Do people use these boxes still? If so, what are your favorite brands and models?

This is my thinking, anything set between wall plug and amp or others makes sound quality change because of it store up the AC power making supply time fast, the isolated transformer, power cleaner, or regulator, even power cord will change the sound too only different in how big, and I also believe that to use 3 phase power supply for a amp will be better than single phase supply in the same reason but we don't have 3 phase in home supply, I made power cord come with isolated transformer which work very good and don't cost too much
tony ma

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So today, I dusted off my old PS Audio Power Plant P300 and brought it to work. (...) I sit back, do my usual test of dialing up the frequency from 60 Hz to 75 and one more, I hear an improvement. The bass becomes tighter and the sound generally becomes warmer. And as before, increasing the frequency way past that decreases fidelity. Don't ask me why the improvement occurs because the efficiency of transformer actually goes down with increased frequency.

Amir,
At some time I owned not one, but two P300s. Europe has 50 Hz mains and I found that several electronic devices sounded better at 60 or 75 Hz than at 50 Hz.
Power transformers should work better at slightly higher frequencies - the maximum flux varies with the inverse of the frequency. But as you say there is no reasonable explanation for the sound improvement. One my units has some bizarre non sinusoidal waveform capabilities, but I never liked their effect.

Happy to see that Forum Administrators are exempt of expectation bias! :D:D:D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the comments guys. And the funny line microstrip :).

So no one has tried their new box that puts out 1,500 watts? It uses a new design, gaining 85% efficiency unlike the box I have which is basically a Class AB amp and half as efficient. Alas, the new box doesn't have variable frequency any more. Bummer :(.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
this is a good new subject, thanks Amir.

what about comparing a power regenerator to a balanced power device? which one is better? i have my amps direct into wall and my electronics onto a TrippLite Isobar. it has served me quite well over the years....very surprising at its low price.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, my testing has been limited to increasing and lowering the frequency. I am able to do quick A/B tests that way. Assuming the increased frequency has some independent value, then balanced power and such cannot replicate the same effect.

PS Audio claims that the reason for general improvement is reduced distortion on the power line. Balanced power does not do that directly at least I don't think it does.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Check these guys out:

http://www.purepoweraps.com/

Based upon what I read, a better solution than PS Audio as it includes true battery backup/

While I thought I had all dedicated lines in my equipment room and theater, based upon some things that happen on occasion, I'm not sure I do (I currently use a BPT conditioner)

I am going to try one of these on all of my front end equipment.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Let us know how it does.

I read everything on their web site and didn't learn a ton :(. It references a review at a Canadian audio magazine but when I go there there was nothing (even with Google search). I can't figure out what the battery does or why it would be useful in an audio system. It also has a fan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing