What's Spinning Tonight?

John, I agree 100%! The music is great ( mostly) but the SQ--not so much. With all of the "audiophile" reissues that are on the market and coming to market, i question why companies like MFSL and AP etc, reissue what they do. It seems to me that in some ways these companies are simply trying to 'milk' the poor a'phile who is looking for better sound but doesn't know what the original tape sounds like. IMHO, there is NO way that you are going to get great sound on any reissue IF the original master tape was not exceptionally well recorded in the first place...no way. ( and how many of these master tapes were?? Rock seems to have the biggest problems, but other genre's as well ).

Indeed, and that's a shame as it's my overall preferred genre. I have learned through the years to not jump on audiophile reissues just because they're available. I do a lot more research now and wait to read various reviews before making a purchase. That approach has served me well as there are few audiophile dogs in my collection now.

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn (Fish People / EU / 4LP 180g box / 2016) (Mastered by BG and pressed at Optimal)

Ever since it was announced that Kate would be doing a series of 22 concert dates at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, I was hoping she'd release a live version...and she did! :) I'm a huge Kate Bush fan and this has been my most anticipated release. As with Aerial, Director's Cut and 50 Words For Snow, the quality did not disappoint. This is a superbly recorded, mastered and pressed boxset. A definite must for fans!

2016 12 02 2.jpg
Kate Bush - Before The Dawn LP1.jpg

The Dylan 45 mono is killer. The Merc is a classic records 180 gram test press.

Attachments

• IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 90
Ernst Krenek Lamentatio Jeremiæ Prophetæ (Harmonia Mundi)

41fX+oCLD8L.jpg

I've always lamented *cough* that we have two separate "What are you listening to" type threads divided between this one and the classical one. So I've posted it here and there.

RedBook

MI0001592354.jpg

I hope every member here has this music recording in one form or another.

The Black Keys - Magic Potion. 180g, Nonesuch. 12inch grooved spinning media.
the_black_keys_magic_potion_2 0012.jpg
Otis Redding - Live at the Whiskey A GO GO. 180g, Volt, Record Store Day (Red Vinyl). 12inch grooved spinning media.
otis-redding-live-at-the-whiskey-a-go-go-vinyl 002.jpg
Delaney and Bonnie - Best Of. 12inch grooved spinning media.
db-bestlp 002.jpg

C,S,N & Y, "Deja vu", 33.3 rpm, Atlantic.
DejaVu.jpg
One of my all-time favourite albums. I have 6 different pressings of this, but might get some others if I find copies I like.

These are 2 different CANADIAN copies. The Atlantic RED label is the one to own.
CSN&Y - Deja Vu Collection 1.jpg

These are 2 FRENCH pressings. The white cover is difficult to find in N.A., but quite abundant in Europe.
CSN&Y - Deja Vu Collection 2.jpg

These are a DUTCH Atlantic Plum and the MoFi reissue.
CSN&Y - Deja Vu Collection 3.jpg

The Dutch Plum is cleaner than my Canadian Red, so I play it more often, but if quality were similar I'd rate them equal.
The two French pressings are nice, but they are my least liked copies.
My MoFi copy is pristine and is right up there with the Dutch Plum and Canadian Red. I play it quite often.

Newbie here.....

Muddy Waters at Newport is belting "I'm your Hoochie Koochie Man" in our house. Enjoying the performance with Caol Ila as the beverage of choice. A few hours back, Eric Clapton "Unplugged" was in da house. Almost brought me to tears...

A recent convert spinning discs on a Rega RP6 for about a month. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Oh well...

Happy Holidays everyone.

Best,
Jay

Count Basie, "...and the Kansas City Seven", 33.3rpm, Impulse.
KansasCity7.jpg
It seems whenever I start playing Count Basie, I have to play at least two albums of his!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing