What's the best nas server? Innuos or Melco???

transaminasi

Jan 16, 2015
North Italy
I would like to buy an audiophile server nas with level near other my components. I don't want spend too much. I'm not interested in top level devices with price about 10k. I'm seeing all models of these two brands and it isn't simple to decide. Innuos Zen Mini mk3, Innuos Zen mk3, Innuos Zenith mk3, Melco N100, Melco N50, Melco N1Z/2EX-H50S, various linear power supply, etc
Have you experiences with these products? I think the battle could be between Innuos Zenith mk3 and Melco N50.

List price:
with photos:

Ps: does anyone know if the new mk4 line of Innuos could be show in the next days at Munich hi-end 2022?

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I used a ZENith MkIII for about 2 years before upgrading to a Taiko Extreme. It was an excellent performer and an outstanding value. It has the advantage of being upgradable by adding the Phoenix re-clocker which is a feature built into the Statement if you wish to do so. In my view this will depend partly on whether your system can take advantage of the benefits and yours certainly can if and when you decide to do so.

Another plus for the Innuous- I know that with streaming and the world's musical library at one's fingertips, nobody cares much about those silver discs anymore. But the ability to burn a disc to a file with the Zenith is an advantage that not even my Taiko offers. I recently bought an outstanding and overlooked CD of Sammy Davis Jr.'s greatest work with the Marty Paich orchestra.

a-lot-of-livin-to-do-sammy-davis-jr-sings-swings-with-the-marty-paich-dek-tette-orchestra.jpg

It is not available on any streaming source I use (Quobuz or Tidal) and therefore I cannot add it to any of my library files on the Taiko. No problem if I still had the Innuous. (And no, I'm not going to buy a drive to burn a single CD to a file)

All in all, the Innuous ZENith MkIII was a delight sonically and service-wise (no issues). However I'm a technical moron so set-up and other tasks that may require similar assistance do benefit from a capable dealer. I purchased my Innuous from WBF forum member Alex Siufy at Alma Audio in San Diego who responded to a query of mine at 2am from Italy, where he logged onto my unit remotely and solved the issue at hand instantly. Who does stuff like this? Highly recommended.

Reactions: gleeds

transaminasi

Jan 16, 2015
North Italy
You can copy that cd with a normal pc (and if you aren't able you can ask to a friend)!
I'm seeing your Taiko... incredible device! But too expensive for me.
Thanks for your important opinion.

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
I have a Melco N1ZS which I preferred to an innuos statement.
sound is better, at least to my ears. Having a built in drive is good, but it’s super easy to connect a usb drive and rip a cd.

Reactions: Dane33 and Amir

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I would say that it depends on how you plan to use the NAS/Server.

I used to own a Melco N10 and used it with my Linn Klimax DSM/2 streamer (I've since upgraded to the new Organik model) and I use ethernet, not USB. I found that the N10 was an improvement over the Synology 412+ that I had on the network and some occasional dropouts that I had on other endpoints (I use Roon) in the house went away using the N10 as a NAS (I had a Small Green Computer on the network as a server).

If your N-01XD is connected to your network as a streamer, I assume that you are already using a server - or maybe the Esoteric Sound Stream app acts as one? I don't know anything about that app...so the Melco might be a better way to go - Melcos are more endpoint than server and you have to use USB to your DAC/streamer to use it as a player. Otherwise, connecting it via the player LAN connection to your streamer it is essentially acting as another switch and, in my system, I still needed a server to use Roon. And, connected this way, you're using the Melco as a NAS.

If you need a server, then the Innuos is probably a better way to go and you can directly connect the Innuos to your N-01XD via ethernet and use it as a server. And, if you use Roon, the Innuos is a Roon core.

As a data point, the biggest improvement I've had in my system was getting a Melco S-100 switch which I got prior to the Melco N-10. It made a very noticeable improvement in SQ and adding a Farad Super3 power supply to the S-100 improved it further.

Like you, I thought about upgrading my server (after getting the S-100) to match the level of my other components, so I home demoed an Antipodes K50 and Innuos Statement and, long story short, without the S-100 in the mix, I heard very little improvement with these servers connected to my streamer via ethernet, so I didn't buy either at that time.

If you look at my signature, I now own a K50 and the only reason I did that is I needed to replace my server and, since the Melcos are endpoints, it wasn't going to work for my whole house. I found a used K50 and sold the N10. Frankly, the K50 is overkill for my use - the best input on Linn Klimax streamers is the LAN input, so while I have the K50 directly connected to my streamer, I don't use the player PC in the K50, just the server.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir

transaminasi

Jan 16, 2015
North Italy
Esoteric N01XD has internal (good) streamer with app Esoteric Sound Stream. This app is the same app of Lumin. Only difference is the name. For this I can say it works perfectly (my favorite apps are Lumin and Aurender). I don't need streamer but only server nas. I understood Melco is more streamer than nas. Problem is Melco N100 hasn't option ssd and N10 (with ssd) is too expensive for me. I want ssd and Innuos Zenith Mk3 has ssd 1, 2, 4 and 8 Tb. I asked to Innuos factory and they said me there isn't mk4 in near future. I must think very well how make.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Esoteric N01XD has internal (good) streamer with app Esoteric Sound Stream. This app is the same app of Lumin. Only difference is the name. For this I can say it works perfectly (my favorite apps are Lumin and Aurender). I don't need streamer but only server nas. I understood Melco is more streamer than nas. Problem is Melco N100 hasn't option ssd and N10 (with ssd) is too expensive for me. I want ssd and Innuos Zenith Mk3 has ssd 1, 2, 4 and 8 Tb. I asked to Innuos factory and they said me there isn't mk4 in near future. I must think very well how make.
Technically, I guess, they are both streamers/players, with the Innuos models having more horsepower and can act as servers.

In your case, you definitely don't need to spend more money for things you won't be using (like player functions, processing power, etc.) since all you want is a NAS with SSD with the Esoteric handling everything else.

In any event, as you know, best bet is to demo in your system if possible. If you're open to buying used, you might try hifishark.com to see if you can find either a Melco with SSD or Innuos.

Having been down this route myself, if you can demo a Melco switch, you might want to try that first and see if you like the improvement.

Have fun and good luck!

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have used the Innous Zenith mk 3 ( with 2 TB SSD HD)for 3 years without any issues, great device. I also have the Phoenix reclocker, made a big improvement here.

JP

Reactions: Charlie B.

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I also have the Phoenix reclocker, made a big improvement here.
Which the OP cannot use as he's looking for an ethernet nas (server).

I also recommend trying a 'hi fi switch' (Melco, English Electric (Chord), Ansuz) and good ethernet patch cable directly to your Esoteric dac, prior to ditching the current server.

Reactions: 7ryder

clive101

Mar 12, 2021
Has any anyone compared the Innuos to the Melco with and without fibre ?
I would love to know the difference.
Anyone tried the S10 version of the Melco how does if differ in SQ than a tricked up S100 with quality power supply ?

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
Has any anyone compared the Innuos to the Melco with and without fibre ?
I would love to know the difference.
Anyone tried the S10 version of the Melco how does if differ in SQ than a tricked up S100 with quality power supply ?
With and without Fibre, the USB output of the N10 is superior to the Z MK3. Probably they would be close if you use the Phoenix USB together with the Z MK3. I also tried Z MK3 + Uptone IsoRegen + Super Farad LPSU + Audio-GD DDC + external clock outputting ACC Coaxial or AES/EBU. With all of these boxes, the Zenith MK3 got really close to the Melco N10, which is Melco's merit.

Regarding the S10, it is definitely superior to any iteration of the S100.
My best-sounding configuration has been: Fiber > SOtM SNH 10G + External LPSU + Clock > Ethernet > Melco N 10. This gave a little bit more detail to the S10, but just a little. Nothing I recommend, I just had the boxes.

With Roon: NUC + Hypsos Power Supply + ENO Acoustic Ethernet Filet + Fiber to the Melco S10 switch.
I use mono mode fiber, Finisar SFPs, and power the converters with iFi Power X. This one I recommend this one because it put the NUC (i7, 24GB RAM with Roon ROCK) very very close to the performance of +$10K Roon core servers connected through ethernet.

Last edited:
Reactions: clive101

clive101

Mar 12, 2021
With and without Fibre, the USB output of the N10 is superior to the Z MK3. Probably they would be close if you use the Phoenix USB together with the Z MK3. I also tried Z MK3 + Uptone IsoRegen + Super Farad LPSU + Audio-GD DDC + external clock outputting ACC Coaxial or AES/EBU. With all of these boxes, the Zenith MK3 got really close to the Melco N10, which is Melco's merit.

My best-sounding configuration has been: Fiber > SOtM SNH 10G + External LPSU + Clock > Ethernet > Melco N 10. This gave a little bit more detail to the S10, but just a little. Nothing I recommend, I just had the boxes.

With Roon: NUC + Hypsos Power Supply + ENO Acoustic Ethernet
Thank you for your post, just to clarify which iterations (versions) of the S100 have you tried?
I have an AfterDark fully modified and recently a fully modified Farad 3 power supply (power supply not yet burntin) just wondered if it was worth trying the S10 for a second system?

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
Thank you for your post, just to clarify which iterations (versions) of the S100 have you tried?

I have an AfterDark fully modified and recently a fully modified Farad 3 power supply (power supply not yet burntin) just wondered if it was worth trying the S10 for a second system?

My friend is a Melco Disty so I get to try a lot of gear. The S10, which has a separated power supply and bettr components, sounds better than the latest improved S100 and much better than the older one.

I upgraded without hesitation

Ratbastrd

Feb 23, 2017
I've some questions related to the topic of this thread so I thought I would chime in. If this is off topic happy to create a new topic.

I'm also exploring a new digital music server/player. Currently have an SMS-200 (roon player), drawing from a NUC based (roon core). Overall, I've found this setup to be an adequate solution that added significant musicality to my system. That being said the useability of this solution sucks, thus I am looking to upgrade.

My current set up is:
Cable modem > Orbi mesh network router > Intel i5 NUC (Roon core) >(ethernet)> SoTM SMS-200 network player (roon player) >(USB)> Mark Levinson 585.5 integrated amplifier > Devore Gibbon X speakers

So I've done extensive reading on Antipodes & Innous, with modest research on Aurender. Initially I was leaning towards Antipodes, but feel that Antipodes has two deficiencies a) Their SW solution seems a bit inferior b) The fully integrated HW solutions are expensive relative to others (integrated LPS etc). The Innous MK3, seems to offer better value both in terms of HW/SW solution (built in LPS, audiophile components, integrated music management, mobile app etc.). Am I missing something here?

Question #1: (Best value network server/player)
In the sub $8K range, which solution offers best value in this space (S30/S60 combo, Innous MK3, or other)? Not interested in a NAS based approach. Have the NUC (Roon Core) device available, happy to move the storage on board another solution if needed.

Question #2: (Network optimization - best value switch).
My understanding is that I will need to add an audiophile network switch to fully realize the streaming capabilities of whatever solution I choose. I have little appetite to get into daisy chaining discreet devices all over my network to get to a useable solution, this is madness IMO. What is the best value audiophile switching solution to integrate into my future digital chain (S100, PhoenixNET, SoTM switch, Other)?????

Question #3: (USB reclocking/Optimization)
My ML 585.5 has an integrated DAC that is pretty good quality. It has logic designed to optimize USB signals. Is there sufficient value in a standalone reclocker that I should consider something like the PhoenixUSB? If it is necessary, is there a better value solution on market?

Question #4 (USB vs Optical)
Frankly I'm not inclined to go down this route, but am open to suggestion. I know a lot of people prefer optical over USB to the DAC. Am I missing something here?

Question #5
What if anything am I missing here?

Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I used a ZENith MkIII for about 2 years before upgrading to a Taiko Extreme. It was an excellent performer and an outstanding value. It has the advantage of being upgradable by adding the Phoenix re-clocker which is a feature built into the Statement if you wish to do so. In my view this will depend partly on whether your system can take advantage of the benefits and yours certainly can if and when you decide to do so.

Another plus for the Innuous- I know that with streaming and the world's musical library at one's fingertips, nobody cares much about those silver discs anymore. But the ability to burn a disc to a file with the Zenith is an advantage that not even my Taiko offers. I recently bought an outstanding and overlooked CD of Sammy Davis Jr.'s greatest work with the Marty Paich orchestra.

View attachment 92788

It is not available on any streaming source I use (Quobuz or Tidal) and therefore I cannot add it to any of my library files on the Taiko. No problem if I still had the Innuous. (And no, I'm not going to buy a drive to burn a single CD to a file)

All in all, the Innuous ZENith MkIII was a delight sonically and service-wise (no issues). However I'm a technical moron so set-up and other tasks that may require similar assistance do benefit from a capable dealer. I purchased my Innuous from WBF forum member Alex Siufy at Alma Audio in San Diego who responded to a query of mine at 2am from Italy, where he logged onto my unit remotely and solved the issue at hand instantly. Who does stuff like this? Highly recommended.
Hey Marty,

Hope your fabulous system is still fabulous if not even more so as things have settled in. Did you ever consider the Innuous Statement when you were looking at Taiko Extreme?. I have heard from a number of people, they prefer Taiko Extreme...but to your point about silver discs (in our case)...I could certainly see the advantage of convenience given how inexpensive second hand CDs are on Amazon vs any download file.

Was just curious if you ever compared them yourself. You are exceptionally thorough so if you did...I am definitely interested in your high level summary!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Lloyd, I never did the comparison critically. I still have a Meitner TX-2 CD/SACD player that I still use from time to time. No need to discard a few racks of CDs which I especially enjoy not only for the music, but for the liner notes and metadata.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, I never did the comparison critically. I still have a Meitner TX-2 CD/SACD player that I still use from time to time. No need to discard a few racks of CDs which I especially enjoy not only for the music, but for the liner notes and metadata.
Thanks, Marty!

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands

With Roon: NUC + Hypsos Power Supply + ENO Acoustic Ethernet Filet + Fiber to the Melco S10 switch.
I use mono mode fiber, Finisar SFPs, and power the converters with iFi Power X. This one I recommend this one because it put the NUC (i7, 24GB RAM with Roon ROCK) very very close to the performance of +$10K Roon core servers connected through ethernet.
The best-sounding configuration for me is the Melco S10, + Naim ND 555 and two Naims 555 PS DR and the Shunyata Omega ethernetcable. Powercable Shunyata Omega. Very expensive but worth every penny.

surfing_dude

Jan 30, 2023
I used to own the Melco N1ZH and didn't like it. IMHO, its sound is too aggressive and the soundstage is too narrow.
I also owned the S100 switch +Farad super whatever... and it was a total waste of money. Better to invest in a great DAC/streamer - again my opinion, I read that other users liked it.

Kozak170

Aug 8, 2019
I used to own the Melco N1ZH and didn't like it. IMHO, its sound is too aggressive and the soundstage is too narrow.
I also owned the S100 switch +Farad super whatever... and it was a total waste of money. Better to invest in a great DAC/streamer - again my opinion, I read that other users liked it.
Which Melco model exactly did you have? The first series: N1ZH (2016) or the second series: N1ZH/2 (2018) or the EX series which is Melco's newer series known as N1ZH/2 Ex?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing