Whats the move up from Pass/Labs 250.8 ?

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
My current setup consists of Pass labs 250.8-XP-22 Pre-Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries......

PS Audio Directstream MK 2 DAC-Auralic Aries G2.1-VPI Prime Signature TT-Pass XP-17 Phono

All Audience SX cabling.

If I wanted to make a noticeable improvement ....whats the path ?

I'm specifically referring to Amps and pre amps.

I'm looking for more punch/slam without losing midrange bloom.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Depending on your budget, would definitely suggest you consider Gryphon if you have not heard them already. Mephisto.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I'd probably arrange a demonstration of Shunyata's Denali 6000/S v2 with perhaps the Alpha or Sigma XC power cable leading to it. If you have a bit more budget, the 6000/T v2 might be interesting as well. If you're in the U.S., your local Shunyata dealer can probably help or The Cable Company definitely has the 6000/S v2 in their library if you don't have a local dealer.

You have some very good equipment there. What I've found in my meandering path on cables / interconnects / ethernet cables within the Shunyata line is they both reveal additional detail *and* "relax" the sound, reducing any digital glare you might be hearing while revealing more air, decay, better bass, etc.

I haven't personally yet incorporated their power distribution, but the reviews I've found of that product have all been quite positive, and it has the added benefit of surge protection (if I'm not misinterpreting "transient suppression") to avoid damage to your expensive electronics.

Edit: I should have opened with "I know you asked about pre-amps and amps but..."

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
My current setup consists of Pass labs 250.8-XP-22 Pre-Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries......

PS Audio Directstream MK 2 DAC-Auralic Aries G2.1-VPI Prime Signature TT-Pass XP-17 Phono

All Audience SX cabling.

Thanks in advance.
I rarely recommend my own gear off thread but given your objectives please allow me to suggest you demo the Westminster Lab Rei Class A monoblock and the matching Quest pre-amplifier. If you want to take it slower the Rei will pair beautifully with the XP-22.

While somewhat lower in power than your 250 these small monoblocks will give you more speed, transparency, imaging, bass texture and all the dynamics you could ask for. Of course, no loss of a gorgeously clear and music midrange. Please DM me if you would like a no obligation home audition. In my experience, cables can be a real upgrade once the foundation is locked in. Please also feel free to read through owners comments on our thread, "Reimagining Class Amplification. Best. Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

cjf

Nov 19, 2012

All Audience SX cabling.

Thanks in advance.
I guess depending on how loud you listen to your music it would be unlikely that you need more wattage than you have now in terms of amplification. The x250.8 has plenty of Horsepower I would think for your current speakers.

The XP-22 is an excellent Pre-Amp as well.

But, if you wanted to try and better what you have I would look into the Pass XA.8 Mono-Block lineup in terms of amplification. Given your current Amp and again depending on how loud you listen, you could look into the XA 60.8's. This would assume your not necessarily trying to increase your volume level but more so looking for a higher amount of Class A power than you have now. The Class A sound of the .8 mono blocks can be quite addictive and I imagine would be impressive combined with the Harbeth's you have. Don't let their output rating fool you though, they are beasts. I drive a pair of Magico S3 MkI's with mine and they do a fine job for my purposes.

I guess there is only one more step UP available in terms of the Pre-Amp which would be the 3 chassis XP32 in the Pass Lineup. There are plenty of rave reviews of this unit found on the web.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Are your speakers holding back some punch? I’ve got a pair of M30.2 40th Anniversaries in a secondary system. Sublime at some things but punch isn’t one of them. When I had them in my main system I paired them with to JL Audio E110 subs but I couldn’t get them to play together.

Sorry, I know you asked about electronics but I suspect even the big Harbeths won’t rock your world.

Reactions: mtemur

Dinus777

Mar 8, 2023
if you want more punch, better bass , more slam with good midrange, and thick sound to it - Gryphon Diablo 300. I've tried it with M40.3 XD's , and it was big big powerfull sound with huge soundstage and thick midrange.

Reactions: kastor77

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing