When Obamacare Exchanges Launch Tuesday, Premiums Will Be Low, Deductibles High

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bruce Japsen, Forbes

Though the Obama administration touted lower-than-expected premiums for individuals that will begin Tuesday taking to exchanges to shop for health benefits, consumers will also see high out-of-pocket expenses, a parade of states and study of those costs show.

As has been the case for years for individuals or small groups who buy state-regulated insurance, they often can get lower premiums, but have a trade-off in the former of higher deductibles, co-payments and other cost-sharing. This will be common for individuals who beginning Tuesday, will be examining the myriad plans available to them under the Affordable Care Act. The open enrollment, the period when they can select benefits, runs Tuesday, Oct. 1 through March of next year.

“Consumers will need to balance lower monthly premiums against the potential for unpredictable, expensive out-of-pocket costs in plans with higher deductibles,” said Caroline Pearson PSO +0.79%, vice president of Avalere Health, a research and advisory services firm on health policy issues tracking the Affordable Care Act.

Avalere last week issued a report on out-of-pocket costs consumers will face before they hit their so-called “out-of-pocket cap.” The report was based on health plan designs in Colorado, Connecticut, Indiana, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. More states are expected to unveil their costs and premiums this week.

U.S. Secretary of Human Services Kathleen Sebelius last week said the average premium nationally for the “second lowest cost” silver plan will be $328 before tax credits. That, the administration said, will be 16 percent below projections made earlier from Congressional Budget Office estimates.

But the Avalere report said its research shows the average annual deductible for someone who enrolls in a Silver plan will be “more than twice the average deductible in employer-sponsored coverage.” This comes as most exchange plans rely on the consumer picking up 40 percent of the drug costs.

Average deductibles can range from a low of $1,500 to a high of $5,000, according to the Avalere analysis.

The number of choices – which will include at least two plans in each state – means consumers should examine their out-of-pocket costs and needs carefully, the Obama administration as well as benefits consultants’ advice. If they don’t, they could “forego needed care,” Avalere analysts say.

Most major health insurance companies are participating in various states across the country including Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans, Aetna AET -0.46% (AET), Humana (HUM) and UnitedHealth Group (UNH).

“It will be very important for consumers to be smart shoppers. Plans that use benefit designs with flat dollar copays rather than coinsurance could significantly reduce out-of-pocket costs for patients who regularly take prescription drugs,” said Matt Eyles, Avalere Health’s executive vice president. “Patients need to understand how different health plans will cover the services and medicines that they use most often to determine which plan is best for them or their families.”

Consumers can get information through www.healthcare.gov or by calling 1-800-318-2596. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation also has a premium assistance subsidy calculator linked here for those seeking assistance in shopping.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Except for states where the choices are very limited, this shouldn't be much different than employer provided coverage, which usually offers multiple plans ranging from low premiums/high deductibles to very low deductibles and co-pays in plans with much higher premiums. Choice is good. I live in one of the states with very few choices. We have two companies to choose from. People in states like this should write their Congresscritters and ask them why all of the major insurers have not been invited to participate in their state insurance pools. Is competition not good for the insurance consumers who are their voters? I intend to do that. And while you're writing your Senators and Congresspersons and Governor, ask yourself who they are, politically and if, by any chance, they could be deliberately trying to limit the success of the Affordable Care Act in their state.

Tim

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It will be interesting to see the truth from the fiction as time marches on. Their are things I like about obamacare and things I dislike. This deductible issue will cause some emotion as the bills begin to pile up on those consumers...

My Dr, that I've had for years, just retired early-throwing in the towel...

Also curious if the house prevails on the 1 year delay...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It will be interesting to see the truth from the fiction as time marches on. Their are things I like about obamacare and things I dislike. This deductible issue will cause some emotion as the bills begin to pile up on those consumers...

My Dr, that I've had for years, just retired early-throwing in the towel...

Also curious if the house prevails on the 1 year delay...

I have many friends and colleagues who also quit this year. Not the hallowed profession of years gone by

A pediatrician friend of mine is wondering how he can continue immunizations and vaccinations for his patients when he is getting reimbursed pennies on the dollar for the purchase of such vaccines.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Except for states where the choices are very limited, this shouldn't be much different than employer provided coverage, which usually offers multiple plans ranging from low premiums/high deductibles to very low deductibles and co-pays in plans with much higher premiums. Choice is good. I live in one of the states with very few choices. We have two companies to choose from. People in states like this should write their Congresscritters and ask them why all of the major insurers have not been invited to participate in their state insurance pools. Is competition not good for the insurance consumers who are their voters? I intend to do that. And while you're writing your Senators and Congresspersons and Governor, ask yourself who they are, politically and if, by any chance, they could be deliberately trying to limit the success of the Affordable Care Act in their state.

Tim

Tim,

One of the many reasons choice is limited is that insurers have decided not to participate. This is in part because they are required to provide many benefits that many consumers do not want. In my state of Washington, there are over 60 mandated coverages that every insurer licensed in the state must provide. For example, I'm paying for infertility treatments; something I assure you, I do not want (and one could argue should not be covered by health insurance). Ironically, by significantly raising the costs of health insurance, these state imposed mandates serve as huge impediment for one of Obamacare's goals: signing up young and healthy to subsidize new enrollees. These state coverage requirements preclude insurers from offering low cost, catastrophic policies appropriate for young, healthy individuals that offer a rational economic choice compared to the penalty for not having insurance (1% of net income for 2013 and 2% of net income for 2014). Just one example of the many contradictory and perverse incentives externally imposed on our healthcare system that the ACA will only exacerbate.

And yes, you are correct, competition is good for insurance customers; yet states prohibit the sale of health insurance across state lines (unlike every other type of insurance). Hmmm.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My doctor and my wife's doctor also retired. Reading the posts here, explains part of the reason.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing