Which Performance/Recording Is Best?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tao, absolutely. I've got about 500 classical lps, mainly from the late great Harold Moores record shop in Central London, and only 10% were ever poor pressings.

I believe this avenue of superior pressings is truly where the hobby switches to maximum pain, and if vinyl enjoyment really was predicated on this, I'd move to streaming 100%.

For me, EBay and click on: Price>Lowest to Highest, not Highest to Lowest.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Performance and recordings can be kept independent of each other. On some systems you can play both good and bad recordings, obviously as in the case with pre or power or tube, the good will sound sonically better than the bad. Good recordings additionally will let you appreciate performance more, as the nuances of the instrument and the dynamic range will not be as evident, in fact much less, in a bad recording. And a system that does not let you hear the difference is worse, though might be financially more practical.

Pressings, like anything else in this hobby, are a sub hobby, and whether you choose to pursue them or not is similar to whether you choose to pursue a rega or an AS/vyger and compare equipment

Reactions: tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tao, absolutely. I've got about 500 classical lps, mainly from the late great Harold Moores record shop in Central London, and only 10% were ever poor pressings.

I believe this avenue of superior pressings is truly where the hobby switches to maximum pain, and if vinyl enjoyment really was predicated on this, I'd move to streaming 100%.

For me, EBay and click on: Price>Lowest to Highest, not Highest to Lowest.

Well your going to loooove streaming Marc... infinity recordings just one price per month.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Ked, a colleague still has his Rega system from 1995, £1500 plus a few hundred on stylus replacements. He views my spending as crazy as I view those who spend on Hot Stampers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sure Ked, a colleague still has his Rega system from 1995, £1500 plus a few hundred on stylus replacements. He views my spending as crazy as I view those who spend on Hot Stampers.

I think people who have spent as much as tang, Gian, Mike, and the general, also view your spending in the accessories as crazy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, guilty as charged.
Just as those who see you spend £hundreds on individual albums, but don't have a system to play them on/no tt in play, consider you crazy.

Its all crazy, collectable vinyl, multiple tts, arms, carts, 15ips tape, multiple tweaks etc, not running a system, those who won't run digital on principle etc.

For me, the risk of excessive surface noise and groove distortion on apparently NM classical vinyl is a no go for me.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Good recordings additionally will let you appreciate performance more, as the nuances of the instrument and the dynamic range will not be as evident, in fact much less, in a bad recording.

I'd say "may or can let you". We know such things called "audiophile recordings". In some cases, no matter how good is the recording, we may never enjoy the performance.

With multiple copies (4?), I've never heard a really great side 2 of Previn's Shosty 8. But I still play it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd say "may or can let you". We know such things called "audiophile recordings". In some cases, no matter how good is the recording, we may never enjoy the performance.

With multiple copies (4?), I've never heard a really great side 2 of Previn's Shosty 8. But I still play it.

Sure, a good recording won't let you enjoy the performance necessarily, but you will be able to hear more to better judge

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
One thing maybe we can generally agree on. Avoid reissues, remasterings, esp the audiophile sort.

There were so many recommendations for Classic Records reissues of 70s Genesis lps. Steve Hoffman Forum full of praise for these.

£300 wasted.

Japanese pressings, mainly hit. Quite a few miss.

Original UK and US pressings. Not necessarily better than my bog standard 3rd pressings onwards from 70s and 80s.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Ron the answer to your question is Kubelik.

Both you and Mr. Lavigne are seriously smart cookies,have either of you considered running for office?

Performance trumps all always no exceptions.

Kindest regards,G.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Currently the best coffee in London costs £15/cup. Does that trump all always no exceptions?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Currently the best coffee in London costs £15/cup. Does that trump all always no exceptions?

He said performance, not price. Why is this coffee best though? Grounded?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
15kg a year only harvested from a rare mountainside crop.
From Yemen.
All's fair in love and war.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, how good is Spotify in comparing classical performances to allow Ron to make informed choices in buying the right vinyl?

If it's not so good, can the subject of his thread be the spur for him to at least accept higher quality streaming, even if he doesn't embrace it?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Performances in many cases are possible, but I do not know if spotify allows you to guess whether the LP quality is worth the pursuit. To do this, one will have to go through some spotify recordings of well known gear pressings cum performances, listen to other digital rips of those, and check if either or both are consistent in reflecting the fact that the LP is excellent as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, and Ron accused ME of wasting an hour a day of his time LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing