Whither Audio Research

The only ML speaker I owned for a few years was a first generation CLS that I bought used from a lady in Berkeley who was kind enough to bring them to me in her pickup. Boy, was that an inefficient speaker. It required hundreds of watts to just bring them to conversational level. I’m guessing the panels were not in the greatest condition. ML couldn’t replace them, so I junked them in the trash a year ago.

My 2905s are upgraded by Kent McCollum, Quad restorer par excellence. They work flawlessly. I’d never change them for any ML. I have three pairs of Quads — 57s, 2805s, and the 2905s.

Now as it happens I’m taking delivery in a month of my dream electrostatics — a massive 9’ x 4’ pair of Soundlab G9-7c in their Audiophile finish. Will update when I get those delivered. I’ve dreamt about owning SLs for 35+ years and it’s finally becoming a reality. I like companies that stay close to their roots. SL is still a very small family run business. Speakers are custom made and take several months to be delivered.
Ah! That's what I thought... your Quads have been refurbed! Hence, they will surpass what's currently coming out of China by the IAG group.
Just to add, here's a pic of the mains HT tranny, it's not even an original Quad! However, IAG group shows the original Quad tranny on their website... this is deceptive advertising, a big zero in my books. I've kept this tranny just to show owners what's exactly in your Quads! Apart from this tranny that looks like a toy, the workmanship and wiring inside the Quads is appalling.

I got both my Quads (2905 & 2912) fully refurbed by John Hall. JH is known as the Quad Whisperer in Aus. He also changed all the trannies (all 12 of them in both pairs). He got the trannies redone by a highly skilled chap in Perth WA. That made a remarkable difference! It's only the outside that looks improved (aluminium sides, heavy duty spikes, central bracing and the addled 10kg plate...all good!) But the insides... utter shambles.
After JH did the redurb, he wanted to teach me how to do this type of work, saying he was getting old and tired. He retired from Ansel Audio years before and said there was no one willing to learn this particular skill. I was very keen but I don't have a steady hand... difficult for a big dog to woof lightly. I'd probably break the damn thing. So I passed, maybe I should have and still regret to this day because there are an awful lot of repairs needed on new Quads coming out of IAG's factory. It's overwhelming. OTOH, I know two chaps who also bought 2805's and 2912's about the same time I purchased mine and no issues! Lucky lucky buggers.

Also, once you open the Quads you'll see 4 layers of protection, Grill cloths, metal frames and then two transparent films of cling wrap which sandwich the actual stat panels. Only then do you see the stat panels. There are 6 panels in the case of the 2905's and 2912's and 1 less in the smaller 2805's series. Having these 4 layers of protection is important but it's these very layers that really does not make the Quads as transparent as compared to other stats. For example, ML's, there are no layers! You can see right through the stats! That's total transparency.

I've also come across a few owners who have actually taken the grills off including the fabrics, and their Quads sounded far more transparent but this is very dangerous!!! Not a good idea, especially with pets or kids running around.

Yes! Agree 110% the Sound Lab stats are awesome! I first heard those in Chicago during my undergrad years. Driven by huge Krell FPB series amplifiers and if I recall a Sonic Frontiers Preamp, that particular combination was tops! Huge stats and definitely a huge room to match, otherwise it would be like operating a boom box in a cupboard.

Also had the CLS back in 95, drove it very successfully with CJ's Premier 11A (70w tube amp). The preamp was a PFR and later on CJ's ART. No issues with the Prem 11A. Apart from watts, it's more to do with high current and highly stable voltages that will drive stats effectively. This is where the primary focus is on the amplifiers power supplies, so not so much the watts. I've come across many highly praised power amplifiers having 100s & 100s of watts on paper... but simply ran out of puff driving electrostats. Their specs looked great! However, in reality they couldn't handle the notorious impedence swing of stats. Full range stats are even worse.

On that note! Your ARC 750SE will have absolutely no issues driving such reactive loads with wide impedence swings. That's where most amplifiers simply cannot keep up.
Ones like, ARC, VTL, Manley Labs, Jadis, VAC, Lamm Audio, Kondo Audio Note, Ayon, CJ and the like are known for rock Solid power supplies, they don't flinch one bit under stress. Really well designed tube gear.

Sorry if I came across bit bluntly... didn't mean to upset anyone or anything. Based on your response, seemed like I tipped over the vase of Tulips... I'm just referring to what I've experienced with Quads, and several members on this forum warned me about the product coming from IAG but I ignored them and went ahead with the purchase. At the end they were right! Respect mate.
I still love Quads and will always have utmost respect for PW, he cannot be replaced. If he saw this type of tranny being used, I sincerely doubt he would've been happy.

Please do let us know all about your new SL atats once nicely set-up, outstanding!
Woof! RJ

Attachments

• 20240423_233705.jpg
    20240423_233705.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu