Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

I had the QSA Yellow in my Bakoon amp.

I agree with others who have found it on the cool/detailed side.

There were definitely jaw dropping moments, but ultimately I found it very detailed.

Eventually I sent it back, as it wasn’t interacting well with my amp around the 170 hour mark.

I just installed the purple fuse and it is definitely warmer so far.

I had the QSA Yellow in my Bakoon amp.

I agree with others who have found it on the cool/detailed side.

There were definitely jaw dropping moments, but ultimately I found it very detailed.

Eventually I sent it back, as it wasn’t interacting well with my amp around the 170 hour mark.

I just installed the purple fuse and it is definitely warmer so far.
Just to clarify...did you install the SR purple or QSA Violet

I have just found a follow up review to the one by Stereotimes.
It is on Facebook from Horizon Acoustics and is confined to the violet and red QSA fuses.
Just as positive as the earlier review and preceded by the reviewer's understandable scepticism.
Worth a read. He has Vac amps.
Barry
I tried to find it on Facebook but could not. I am interested in the QSA Red and would love to read about it. Any chance you can provide a link?

Just to clarify...did you install the SR purple or QSA Violet
SR Purple.

I know it has a long break in period, but it definitely has the SR sound I am familiar with after hearing the SR Orange.

Barry
I tried to find it on Facebook but could not. I am interested in the QSA Red and would love to read about it. Any chance you can provide a link?
Hi there
I currently am having problems with my usual laptop which is hampering my ability to reply as I would like to. I found it by googling QSA fuses and found an Horizon Acoustics review listed and on Facebook Can you give that a try while I sort out my problems please.

Some interesting topics going on here. I too am very aware of vibration in my work. Thing is, when you damp with what, how does that impact the performance. All materials damp certain resonance and do little to nothing to others. So did your damping help or hinder.

Wrapping a fuse with tape. Interesting. I have always thought glass a hard vibration transmitter. So what to damp with. Electrical tape. Blue tape. Yellow tape. Duck tape. FoQ. Lots of choices.
I wonder if the material wrapping the QS fuse differer color to color. Could account for sonic differences.

There is also internal damping in a fuse. Many are a spring wound metal. What is the spring wrapped around. Is the fuse potted. What is the potting.

Metal plating will also add a color. Problem is, the interaction of the plating with the clips it will mate too. What are the clips made of, or plated with. Makes me wonder why no one is making a fuse holder out of high quality copper instead of what appears to be tin steel. Think about it. One of my fuses is the type you unscrew the round socket, push the fuse in the end and screw it back in. That socket has to have an internal metal contact to pass the current from the end of the fuse to the circuit.

Lastly, everyone needs to start engaging in cleaning electrical contacts. Who here has taken 99% pure alcohol and Qtips and cleaned the RCA connection points. Cleaned their receptacle blades. How about the ends of the conductor on your branch circuits. Who has replaced CB every 2 to 4 years. Probably no one. How about the cartridge tags on your phono setup. I cleaned the pins on my amp one time. All of them. Got into the sockets and cleaned them too. I was floored at the jump in dynamics and energy. Took a couple hours work. Well worth it. FWIW, I never use contact enhancer on tube pins any more. It opens cans of worms.

Rex

Last edited:
Expectation bias if it exists, is speculative - how do you know if it is happening or not?
[/QUOTE]
of course, I buy very little on a 'wing and a prayer' so therefore I 'expect'............
And if it is a real thing in audio it would not apply just to audiophile fuses. Every happy/successful component upgrade ever posted about at WBF could be attributed to expectation bias.
[/QUOTE]
again, of course ......
Have you ever upgraded your amps/speakers/source/cables and liked the improvement? Was your satisfaction with your purchases expectation bias?

for the third time, of course expectation bias was 'part' of the equation

I stand by my original post and if you don't believe, that's your choosing, so enjoy your kool-aid !

of course, I buy very little on a 'wing and a prayer' so therefore I 'expect'............

[/QUOTE]
again, of course ......

for the third time, of course expectation bias was 'part' of the equation

I stand by my original post and if you don't believe, that's your choosing, so enjoy your kool-aid !
[/QUOTE]

I stand by my original response to your post.

While I would never suggest this as a permanent replacement, it would be interesting to hear the difference between a fuse and a piece of wire, either 10 or 12 gauge. Preferably soldered in.

Hi there
I currently am having problems with my usual laptop which is hampering my ability to reply as I would like to. I found it by googling QSA fuses and found an Horizon Acoustics review listed and on Facebook Can you give that a try while I sort out my problems please.
Hi again
Just found it again
The link is
Certainly worth a read.
I hope that helps

[/QUOTE]

LOL, your original response were questions, to which I answered. No rebuttal ? that's fine ......

LOL, your original response were questions, to which I answered. No rebuttal ? that's fine ......
[/QUOTE]

From my original response to your post about expectation bias:

"....It may come into play upon first listening but I don't believe expectation bias holds up over longer term repeat critical listening...."

From my original response to your post about expectation bias:

"....It may come into play upon first listening but I don't believe expectation bias holds up over longer term repeat critical listening...."
[/QUOTE]

all good !

I can only comment on the yellow and violets at this stage.
Internal and power cables with both.
The yellows are very good. Plenty of punch and quick and revealing. The violets give a more all round sound, more musical, more ease to the sound and greater delicacy. A noticeable improvement on the yellows.

Reactions: Sablon Audio
Thanks for sharing @Barry2013. Reason for asking is that the SR Blue, err, blew when I powered up my Levante amp despite having a rating 25% over the stock fuse. Reinstating the original fuse made the music more dynamically ‘taut’ and I think I will need to look into QSA fuses a bit more deeply.

Reactions: bonzo75
Thanks for sharing @Barry2013. Reason for asking is that the SR Blue, err, blew when I powered up my Levante amp despite having a rating 25% over the stock fuse. Reinstating the original fuse made the music more dynamically ‘taut’ and I think I will need to look into QSA fuses a bit more deeply.
Thanks for the reply
I would certainly encourage you to look into the QSA fuses more deeply. Despite some hesitancy about repeating what I have said in earlier posts I have to say that they I am finding that the improvement they have effected in my system is simply astonishing. Quite how a few fuses can make such a difference is beyond me. Others are reporting the same experience which I find reassuring.
What is most impressive is that there is no artificiality to the improved sound. . None of the hifi sound that you sometimes hear from other products. Just a delightful organic musical sound and a real fidelity to the music.

I had the same problem with the SR explosion on the amps. I expect that QSA Analog fuse should work more reliably due to a different design. The QSA Analog has a spring conductor, as do the stock fuses of my amplifiers. Tsang (QSA) thinks the same way.

Just received a QSA Yellow fuse which I am testing in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply (which only takes one fuse) - see photo. Right off the bat with no break-in it sounds a little more neutral and resolving (but not more natural or musical) than the SR Orange and Audio Horizons Platinum Reference fuses that I've also used in this component. WIll report further after a break-in period. Plan to compare the QSA Yellow against the new SR Purple. The QSA Yellow and SR Purple are each around $200, which is about the ceiling for what I'm willing to spend on a fuse. So I won't be trying the QSA Purple and beyond, no matter how glowing the reviews.

Attachments

• IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing