Who is your favourite female singer?

Well yesterday I had on Striesand, Nanci Griffith and Natalie Cole, day before Diana Krall, today so far Marlene Verplank and Edie Gorme. Just depends tomorrow might be Marilyn Monroe and Ella. I have so many favs but the ones that seem to hang around the most are Eva Cassidy, Ella, Julie Andrews,Anna Netrebko,and Nanci Griffith. I forgot last night I played a tape I made of Ann Hampton callaway live at Dizzys, just phenomenal.

I guess I just did what everbody else did, sorry,lol.

Roger which Eva Cassidy would you play? She too is one of my favs and love Live At Blues Alley

41ANK86725L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hi Steve,

Blues Alley, I have I think 4 albums of her's. Blues alley is the best with maybe songbird 2nd. I never could understand how this singer never landed with a big record label right away. Her rendition of "tall trees" and "fields of gold" blows me away every time I listen.

"Eva Marie Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996) was an American vocalist known for her interpretations of jazz, blues, folk, gospel, country and pop classics. In 1992 she released her first album, The Other Side, a set of duets with go-go musician Chuck Brown, followed by a live solo album, Live at Blues Alley in 1996. Although she had been honored by the Washington Area Music Association, she was virtually unknown outside her native Washington, DC when she died of melanoma in 1996.

Four years later, Cassidy's music was brought to the attention of British audiences when her version of "Over the Rainbow" was played by Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2. Following the overwhelming response, a camcorder recording of "Over the Rainbow", taken at the Blues Alley, was shown on BBC Two's Top of the Pops 2. Shortly afterwards, the compilation album Songbird climbed to the top of the UK Albums Charts, almost three years after its initial release. The chart success in the United Kingdom and Ireland led to increased recognition worldwide; as of 2008 her posthumously released recordings, including three UK #1s, have sold around eight million copies.[1] Her music has also charted top 10 positions in Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Cassidy

Hi John,

I don't know why but I do not have that many female singers that I listen too, my top two female are Etta James (best female voice ever imo) and Fiona Apple.

My wife really likes Florence and the Machine so I have been spinning that a lot lately, but that is a group and your looking for more individual performances. Alison Moshart is great. I saw her live wiht the dead weather and she is amazing.

As a side note I physically hate Lady Ga Ga's music however she has an amazing bluesy voice when she wants too. It's a shame to me really because if she wanted to she could be a great real artist, what a voice. She also has the voice to front a rock band what a waste.

Joe

Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66. Singinging mas que nada and the Look of Love . I think her name is Lani Hall. Boy is she sexy.

Attachments

• 61HBmkUv2EL__SS500&#9.jpg
    61HBmkUv2EL__SS500&#9.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Sorry John, I'm about to break the "playing time" spirit of the thread again :oops:

I just can't resist.

Hate me but the start of California Dreamin' always bugged me growing up. Every time I'd hear about all those leaves being brown I just wish they'd go straight to the chorus. Oki Doki, Not a Mamas and Papas fan.

Trolling for standards one day, I came upon Mama Cass Elliot's rendition of Dream a Little Dream of Me.

She might have become one of the best jazz interpreters had she had the chance. First to make a christmas tree joke misses a turn and goes straight to jail.

No worries Jack! Regarding California Dreamin', I'm kinda partial to the Jose Feliciano version anyway. Great link to Mama Cass! What a voice!

John

Before there was Diana Krall, there was Julie....

Last edited:
Before there was Diana Krall, there was Julie....

a few years ago, i started collecting julie london's albums. i would have been a real fan had i been a teen in the 60s. :) lovely voice.

a few years ago, i started collecting julie london's albums. i would have been a real fan had i been a teen in the 60s. :) lovely voice.

She was unique and very beautiful to boot. I've been a fan since I was a kid.

It's been years since I listened to Julie London. Any LP recommendations?

John

It's been years since I listened to Julie London. Any LP recommendations?

John

My favorite would be 'Latin in A Satin Mood', on Liberty Stereo. I also like 'Your Number Please', 'The End of the World', and 'Love Letters.

I make no excuses for it, but I simply adore the sound of the female voice in music. I have many more solo female recordings as opposed to male ones. I do not honestly know why this so, or where it began, but my love for them continues.

John

I'm just like you, adoring the sound of female voice in music. It began in the 90s when I would be shopping for records in HK, and while I kept buying, I began to realize that most of what they love and recommend in LPs and CDs were mostly female vocals. That era started my introduction to more Carol Kidd (I had one prior to this time), Radka Toneff, Mary Black, Dolores Keanne, Beverley Craven, Kate Wolf, Ester Ofarim, Enya, and many more. Further on, I began to discover the music of Joni James, Julie London, Doris Day, Ann Burton, Patricia Barber, Karrin Allyson, Rickie Lee Jones, etc.

Last edited:
I'm just like you, adoring the sound of female voice in music. It began in the 90s when I would be shopping for records in HK, and while I kept buying, I began to realize that most of what they love and recommend in LPs and CDs were mostly female vocals. That era say my introduction to more Carol Kidd (I had one prior to this time), Radka Toneff, Mary Black, Dolores Keanne, Beverley Craven, Kate Wolf, Ester Ofarim, Enya, and many more. Further on, I began to discover the music of Joni James, Julie London, Doris Day, Ann Burton, Patricia Barber, Karrin Allyson, Rickie Lee Jones, etc.

Hey Phil, you still have any of those Doris Day 10" vinyls?

Hey Phil, you still have any of those Doris Day 10" vinyls?

Hi Jack,

Sorry, no 10" LPs here. All 12" here. It's been quite hard to get a clean NM Doris Day CBS stereo LPs of late.

Please let me add my selection of womens voices that thrill me in various ways...
These days i am into Natalie Merchant (ex 10000 maniacs and don't let the name of the band fool you!)
Please watch these two youtube videos and you'll understand...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqZ7HaE5KWU
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJq6v6gA_4 and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLPUujjRzgw.
A "old time" favorite is Nina Simone...no questions asked.
Patricia Barber which i have watched since her first album has been blossomed into an intergalactic status:
please watch this video from a live in Beograd:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcA...C762A05E1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=9.
Margo Timmins who is the singer from Cowboy Junkies has haunted many a moments with her voice and lyrics...
Joni Mitchell also comes to mind and the "hissing of the summer lawns" is one of my long time favorites and gets a spin in my table very often...
Last i want to add a dark queen that really haunts my late night listening sessions.When it's -too- late ,everyone is asleep ,and want to disappear from this world,i find myself
always turning to one of her albums.It's Hope Sandoval either with her own band or with Muzzy Star.
She is out of this world...

Nina Simone. One of my favorites. Unfortunately she was from Mississippi. As an African-American she was consumed by racism. She never got over it. Frequently the most tortured souls make the best artist.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing