Who is your favourite female singer?

Roger which Eva Cassidy would you play? She too is one of my favs and love Live At Blues Alley

41ANK86725L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I enjoyed the Eva Cassidy album Live at Blues Alley located in the Georgetown section of DC. I seem to detect an echo or microphone feedback. Anybody else hear that. Naturally I have attended this venue many times as a resident of this area. I found it to have very good acoustics and an excellent sound reinforcement system.

I enjoyed the Eva Cassidy album Live at Blues Alley located in the Georgetown section of DC. I seem to detect an echo or microphone feedback. Anybody else hear that. Naturally I have attended this venue many times as a resident of this area. I found it to have very good acoustics and an excellent sound reinforcement system.

From what I remember, her voice is smothered in reverb that adds a noticeable hardness to her voice. While I like the music on the disc, there are better sounding recordings of her :(

which would you recommend Myles?

I must not be as tough a reviewer as you because I really liked Live At Blues Alley

Well I don't think the two Eva Cassidy recordings that I've heard, Songbird and Live at Blues Alley, are anything to write home about sonically :)

That said, Songbird to my ears and thru my system, is the better sounding of the two albums.

I just ordered a Eva Cassidy sings DVD from Great Britian. The video is her live performance at blues alley. It has a few different cuts and the master tape was used for the audio. I don't know if that makes sense.

I read that Eva had a cold that night and she was upset because her first nights performance was recorded badly. They had to use the 2nd nights master. Eva thought she sang much better on opening night when she felt well.

Anyway looking foward to playing the DVD.

I also thought that Live at Blues Alley was a bit of a disappointment sonically after all the hoopla I'd heard. A few cuts sound pretty good, but many aren't that special.

Lee

I also thought that Live at Blues Alley was a bit of a disappointment sonically after all the hoopla I'd heard. A few cuts sound pretty good, but many aren't that special.

Lee

It's been a while since I listened to Live at Blues Alley but from what I remember, there was way too much reverb added and sibilance. By and large, the recording was also on the thin and bright side.

Eva Cassidy at Blues Alley is a fine album. Hardly any ones poison. A blemish on a work of art is far more annoying than when it is on a a mediocre work. I detected some microphone feedback and wanted to make sure it was the cd and not my system

Wow lots of good stuff mentioned here and I listen quite often to most of the names listed but I am really surprised that two of my favs were never mentioned Margo Timmons from the Cowboy Junkies and Shelby Lynne. The Just a Little Lovin album from Shelby Lynne is fabulous.

Wow lots of good stuff mentioned here and I listen quite often to most of the names listed but I am really surprised that two of my favs were never mentioned Margo Timmons from the Cowboy Junkies and Shelby Lynne. The Just a Little Lovin album from Shelby Lynne is fabulous.

Although I know of her, I don't recall having ever heard Shelby Lynne...will do a quick search for sure. Now, Margo Timmons is another story. Must bring out The Trinty Sessions for a listen.

John

Man there are just so many good ones out there two more that I really like are Linda Ronstadt and Jennifer Warnes (Famous Blue Raincoat and The Well) and who could leave Billie Holiday off the list?

Great thread. There are so many -- Sarah Vaughan, Emmylou Harris...I love the Shelby Lynn album mentioned above, it sounds like the ghost of Dusty Springfield singing a lifetime of regret in a smoky basement jazz club...but I have to say that I've fallen in love with Joni Mitchell all over again in her (my) old age. Her weary, weathered voice is perfect for the jazzy balladry she most often indulges in these days, and while she hasn't been terribly prolific most of the work she's done in the past 10 years or so has been pretty stunning. I love her take on Summertime, from Herbie Hancock's "Gershwin's World."

P

No doubt Ella, Sarah, Etta, Billie et al are in my collection. I have an old Pablo Records 3Lp collection of "Jazz At The Santa Monica Civic '72" with Ella, Count Basie, Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz, Ray Brown, Ed Thigpin and a few others that also gets considerable play on my TT here.

Is that collection available on a digital format? That might be worth owning a turntable all by itself :)!

P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing