Who Still Uses A Preamp

Who Uses A Separate Preamplifier vs Integrated Amp/Preamp

• Total voters
After many listening tests and even some calculations and measurements(!!!), I am using a linestage. Have a Wavestream linestage and phonostage.

Awesome. Am going to hear Scott's full electronics (amps/line/phono) with the Hansen speakers hopefully this week.

Awesome. Am going to hear Scott's full electronics (amps/line/phono) with the Hansen speakers hopefully this week.

Where is this happening? Please let us know how it goes.

My phono and line stages are both Serial No.1's. I was alpha and beta tester for their first production models and have the latest updates.

I prefer, in my current set up, to have the pre and power stages separate for convenience - the power (Technics SE A3) is a beast and almost immovable at about 50 lbs. The pre - Angstrom 200 - is feather light by comparison so it makes WAF placement a doddle. I also found that I could tune my listening experience by auditioning different components - such as replacing a Bryston with the Technics. Similarly changing an Aragon (very nice) for the Angstrom (very nice) made an emotive difference to the sound. BUT, my phono stage is an old Sansui AU 6900 which feeds the Angstrom, plus I get to listen late night via headphones which are not catered for on the Angstrom. So I have a bit of both. A fence straddler I guess.

the power (Technics SE A3) is a beast and almost immovable at about 50 lbs.

Are you kidding? Almost immovable at 50 lbs?? I have been dealing with 100 lb amps for years and would consider moving a 50 lb amp a walk in the park. My Teac A7030 R2R weighs more than your amp.

Are you kidding? Almost immovable at 50 lbs?? I have been dealing with 100 lb amps for years and would consider moving a 50 lb amp a walk in the park. My Teac A7030 R2R weighs more than your amp.

I like this game; let me try: Oh yeah? My VinylSquasher 2000 record clamp weighs more than your R2R! So there! :p

My bad, you are so right, should be 50KG = over 100lbs which would have been OK 20 years ago, but not anymore... :)

I can't imagine using anything other than a pre amp. Besides, I doubt I will ever buy another amp system unless what I have now goes completely belly up on me. I love what I have and I ain't gonna change it!

Maybe an integrated would be just as good, but why change when I'm satisfied? If I did change, It would have to be the Ayre integrated amp.

Go directly from DAC to amp...

And for those who are using digital sources (CD transports, media servers, etc.), simply use the DAC to drive the amp directly. In this case, the "integration" is in the DAC, which typically will have a high-precision attentuator of one sort or another...

And for those who are using digital sources (CD transports, media servers, etc.), simply use the DAC to drive the amp directly. In this case, the "integration" is in the DAC, which typically will have a high-precision attentuator of one sort or another...

Hi Nicholas,

That is fine for only having a digital front end. Some of us also use turntables, tuners, Blu-ray players, etc. In my case I could even run my Soundsmith Phono Preamp (and a digital source to the Soundsmith) or my upgraded (modified Lavry DA10) directly to the amps. But, it would not solve my problems with my modified Sansuii Tu-9900 AM/FM tuner. Additionally with the number of components and using a single 2 channel/home theater set-up, for my Teres/Soundsmith turntable set-up, CD/DAC set-up, Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A, etc. I still need to go through my Pre/Pro Processor and or my upgraded (modified) Audio Research LS10 (using HT Bypass) to use all of the functions and capabilities offered through my system.

Rich

I use my Arcam AVR 600 receiver but only out of necessity, I really don't have enough room to do separates properly. I am really itching to go with a line stage and a tube amp from either ARC or McIntosh for my 2 channel vinyl.

Joe

I use my Arcam AVR 600 receiver but only out of necessity, I really don't have enough room to do separates properly. I am really itching to go with a line stage and a tube amp from either ARC or McIntosh for my 2 channel vinyl.

Joe

Don't let that itch become a rash :)

My bad, you are so right, should be 50KG = over 100lbs which would have been OK 20 years ago, but not anymore... :)

Now that makes sense and I agree. 100 lbs in awkward shapes with the weight distributed unevenly makes it a drag to have to move around. That is what I am faced with when I deal with my Jadis which is why I was glad I was able to fix it myself. Now maybe 20 years from now I would bitch about having to move 50 lbs, but I am not there yet. That's why it took me by surprise when you acted like you were moving mountains when you had to hoist 50 lbs.

Now that makes sense and I agree. 100 lbs in awkward shapes with the weight distributed unevenly makes it a drag to have to move around. That is what I am faced with when I deal with my Jadis which is why I was glad I was able to fix it myself. Now maybe 20 years from now I would bitch about having to move 50 lbs, but I am not there yet. That's why it took me by surprise when you acted like you were moving mountains when you had to hoist 50 lbs.

Insert most tube amps since the transformers are all on one side of the piece :(

Currently using a ModWright LS36.5 (single box) and will continue to use a dedicated 2ch preamp for as long as I can foresee. Like having the options that separate components afford. On my list of future pre-amp upgrades are Shindo and Nagra. I will most likely be looking at high efficiency speakers like the Verity Leonore's as I really enjoy the sound of a good low power tube amp.

i have to admit, the new Meridian 808i3 looks to be one amazing piece....tempted to get rid of the preamp and just it direct to the amp.

I do use a separate preamp but only for the volume control function. it is a 20+ year old PS Audio 4.6 in passive mode. The power supply isn't even plugged in.

As soon as I get around to pulling balanced cables through a wall and moving my MusicPC 15 feet, I'll switch to an NHT volume control.

Bill

It is not remotely high end, but I still have my Hafler DH 101 as it still sounds decent to me and has 2 phono inputs (important to me) and 2 tape ins, mono switch, and tone defeat. I am looking to mate it with something toward year's end. I only wish it has a headphone output.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing