Who uses Software filters/modulators/upsampling?

The user experience with HQPlayer could use some work. But the creator, Jussi is very responsive, and I'm finding the community around HQPlayer to be active and willing to share their knowledge. After fiddling with this software project for a while, I'm pleased with the sonic results now. I've picked out a set of filters and modulator that take about 7 seconds to render at a resolution of DSD128 with my current computer hardware. From a usability perspective, I feel that 6-8 seconds is about the limit I'm willing to wait for playback to begin. I image that increasing my computer's compute power will allow playback to start sooner and/or allow for higher resolutions of DSD.

Hi, @classdstreamer, not sure what filters you are using with Hqplayer, but normally any delay in play starting will be dependent on filter selection. The default filters - for example poly Sinc gauss family, will be nearly instantaneous, while a few of the longer filters ie sinc -L and Sinc-Long may take longer to initialize. The developer recommmends the default filters as a starting point.

Modulator selection will more affect overall CPU loading and heavier modulators can result in dropouts if your are at the margin of your processing capability.

I use poly Sinc gauss XLA/ poly Sinc gauss long for 1x and Nx respectively- initialization is instant enough that I don’t notice any delay. This is with everything converted to DSD 512x, either x44 or x48, depending on the source file base rate.

For higher output rates and longer filters GPU offloading is very helpful. Some would say it’s even mandatory depending on your set up. :)

@cpcat Yes, sinc-L will take 17-27 seconds to commence playback (when used together with ASDM7EC-super and at DSD128 on my hardware). That's longer than I'm willing to wait. But, I find that I prefer sinc-M filters more than sinc-S and -L. I still have plenty more filters to experiment with though. I do see that many other filters are less taxing--that playback begins much faster.

It's good to hear that you can reach DSD512 with HQPlayer embedded with filters you're satisfied with. I haven't yet determined whether I would want a GPU, and thus be limited to Windows/Linux builds.

Reactions: cpcat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu