Who's got the Best Male Voice in Rock, or Pop?

My bad for introducing lyrics into this. Point taken.

I was inspired by another post: my offerings are John Fogerty and Eric Burdon ...

Frank

Mmmmm? I had both come to mind at the top of my list.
So;
James Dewer (Stone The Crows, Robin Trower, solo)
Jack Bruce (Cream, solo, Robin Trower, collaborative)
Paul Rodgers (Bad Company, solo)
Frank Sinatra, if you think some of his material may fall into the pop genre.

Don Henley - His interpretation of Wasted Time on The Eagles Farewell 1 Tour is stunningly done. The timing, the emotion....spot on!

Since this seems to have expanded a little

Chad Mitchell

That's dedication :)

If we are including metal in this discussion then what about the late Ronnie James Dio

Not sure if there are any on Youtube re Lemmy, but he honestly does do vocal warmups; was stunned myself and he is/was pretty dedicated to it as well.
Not saying he is a great singer, but does use vocal techniques so he does not ruin his vocal chords/cause nodules/etc.
And yes I was shocked too, took awhile for it to sink in :)

Cheers
Orb

Yes, since I started this I'd better add a bit more. My main criterion is that the person's voice almost totally defines the song, the style and expression of the vocals by the male singer are the trademark of the piece in all the best senses; this leaves out Tiny Tim, for example :D.

So of course Frank Sinatra is a top contender, close enough to Pop(ular).

A tragedy is when a singer's assets desert him: "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals was done in a single, the first take, the story goes, and when you listen to it closely it's just amazing the depth of expression and energy pumped into it by Eric; he's still performing but the voice has totally disappeared, I couldn't keep listening to a recent effort by him on TV ...

Also, when things go wrong: Meatloaf did the musical intro for a local football final, and it all went pear shaped, truly embarassing, something everybody wanted to forget about in a hurry ...

Frank

He didn't have the dirt. Many would consider that a positive, but I love voices with a raspy, smoky character. I have a limited tolerance for the extremes, where Joe Cocker and Tom Waits work, but Plant, McDonald, Rod Stewart, Bruce, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holliday...and many great blues and rock n roll voices...these are great voices to my ear. YMMV. But Mercury had incredible chops. Had he not found Queen, he could have had a great career in musical theater.

Tim

Many would say the line between Queen and musical theater was a razor thin one!

Many would say the line between Queen and musical theater was a razor thin one!
Yeah depends upon the song I would say, but then that is rock-pop for you from the 70s onwards.

I cannot think of any other rock-pop singer who has duetted with a classical singer well though, in this case Montserrat Caballé on Barcelona.
Cheers
Orb

So true Orb. Kiss is surely musical theater! :) Then there's the likes of Motley Crue and the rest of the Glam Rockers. I remember the relief when Pearl Jam, Nirvana and the other Seattle bands burst into the scene. The only men in tights should be in ballets or pissing off the Sheriff of Nottingham. LOL

One thing about the raspy/guttural type voice most people think it is quite simple and easy for these type of singers but reality can be very different.
Along with James Hetfield from Metallica there is Lemmy (Motorhead), both from what I remember had vocal training and conditioning, but critically also perform lengthy vocal warmup before going on stage to sing.
Sure it will surprise some people who may not had realised it can take skill and understanding of singing to perform in this vocal style.

Cheers
Orb

Yeah, i'm not talking about screamers, but singers who have the texture in their voices naturally. It's there when singing softly, it's there when they speak. Think rod Stewart, Springsteen, the younger vs older Joni Mitchell. I love these voices. Heavy metal screamers make me cringe.

Tim

Yeah, i'm not talking about screamers, but singers who have the texture in their voices naturally. It's there when singing softly, it's there when they speak. Think rod Stewart, Springsteen, the younger vs older Joni Mitchell. I love these voices. Heavy metal screamers make me cringe.

Tim

Roy Orbison? :b

Morten Harket - A-HA,
Roy Kahn - Kamelot,
Thom Yorke - Radiohead.

I'm going to have to go with Thom Yorke as my best pick. He does have that emotional impact that Mercury had, his voice being almost a complete instrument by itself. That is rare...
You can have singers that have a superb voice, but it still lacks something, they need a musical backdrop to really shell out the ammo.
Usually a vocalist is a apart of a musical tapestry, adding to the sum. But some vocalists shine, singing, solo voice and nothing else, so when you add music, it becomes ... Ahhhhh! Emotional!

Imperial.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing