Why Do Different USB Cables Sound Different

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 10, 2012
Ireland
All of your questions are answered on my website in my signature

And, yes, that is old news about batteries - it relates to sealed lead acid (SLA) - battery chemistry has advanced greatly since then. Anyway, I'm making the transition to supercapacitors

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
All of your questions are answered on my website in my signature

And, yes, that is old news about batteries - it relates to sealed lead acid (SLA) - battery chemistry has advanced greatly since then. Anyway, I'm making the transition to supercapacitors
Hi John: I made it to your website. All is good.

What advantage is there to 'new' battery design ?
(it's not clear/discussed on the website)

pj

jkeny

Feb 10, 2012
Ireland
Hi John: I made it to your website. All is good.

What advantage is there to 'new' battery design ?
(it's not clear/discussed on the website)

pj
PJ supercapacitors are not 'new' batteries - they are very high capacity capacitors - I use 350F (yes Farads, not micro Farads - this is 350,000 micro Farads).

The audible differences are explained here: https://www.ciunas.biz/supercapacitor-vs-batteries

Jun 19, 2016
jkeny: Thanks for the link; capacitor/battery distinctions are clear to me. What I was wondering was whether the the higher (output) impedance of older battery-powered devices (or capacitor's) were part of the problem for audiophiles that deemed/found battery power (DC) not as desirable/better sounding (as originally believed) than 120/240V AC power.
The following (taken from link) touches upon this:

" ...LiFePo4 batteries & supercapactitors are both capable of satisfying these requirements & the only difference between them appears to be the speed of the current delivery. High capacity supercapacitors often have a very low impedance (this value is a measure of the ability to deliver current quickly - the lower the impedance, the faster the current delivery) ..... "

pj

jkeny

Feb 10, 2012
Ireland
jkeny: Thanks for the link; capacitor/battery distinctions are clear to me. What I was wondering was whether the the higher (output) impedance of older battery-powered devices (or capacitor's) were part of the problem for audiophiles that deemed/found battery power (DC) not as desirable/better sounding (as originally believed) than 120/240V AC power.
The following (taken from link) touches upon this:

" ...LiFePo4 batteries & supercapactitors are both capable of satisfying these requirements & the only difference between them appears to be the speed of the current delivery. High capacity supercapacitors often have a very low impedance (this value is a measure of the ability to deliver current quickly - the lower the impedance, the faster the current delivery) ..... "

pj
The usual objections to batteries are based on SLA (car batteries) batteries powering audio devices. These use slow chemical reactions & are noisy & much, much higher output impedance (I don't now the exact value) - as a result their sound is dominated by these characteristics. But even with SLAs, there are some lower impedance types which reportedly sound better.

The output impedance of A123 LiFePo4 batteris is around 8mOhm which is far better than most electrolytic capacitors used in audio. The supercaps being 3-4mOhm is better again.

There are two factors which I consider important to audio - low & stable noise profile- low impedance is highly likely to be of importance in this regard. But here's a head scratching thing - the wires/tracks that carry the power to the device are often of higher impedance than this 3-4mohm so there's probably something else at play & just low impedance isn't the full picture - it's needed over a very wide frequency

Jun 19, 2016
The usual objections to batteries are based on SLA (car batteries) batteries powering audio devices. These use slow chemical reactions & are noisy & much, much higher output impedance (I don't now the exact value) - as a result their sound is dominated by these characteristics. But even with SLAs, there are some lower impedance types which reportedly sound better.

The output impedance of A123 LiFePo4 batteris is around 8mOhm which is far better than most electrolytic capacitors used in audio. The supercaps being 3-4mOhm is better again.

There are two factors which I consider important to audio - low & stable noise profile- low impedance is highly likely to be of importance in this regard. But here's a head scratching thing - the wires/tracks that carry the power to the device are often of higher impedance than this 3-4mohm so there's probably something else at play & just low impedance isn't the full picture - it's needed over a very wide frequency
John: You analyze things well:

" ....But here's a head scratching thing - the wires/tracks that carry the power to the device are often of higher impedance than this 3-4mohm so there's probably something else at play & just low impedance isn't the full picture - it's needed over a very wide frequency "

Indeed. And so much more (to consider/evaluate) ...

pj

jkeny

Feb 10, 2012
Ireland
John: You analyze things well:

" ....But here's a head scratching thing - the wires/tracks that carry the power to the device are often of higher impedance than this 3-4mohm so there's probably something else at play & just low impedance isn't the full picture - it's needed over a very wide frequency "

Indeed. And so much more (to consider/evaluate) ...

pj
Sure, but not knowing the full underlying mechanisms of action does not obviate what the ears hear
I have just started a tour of one of my supercap PS on a UK forum & hope to have my other supercap audio devices also on tour soon

Jun 19, 2016
Sure, but not knowing the full underlying mechanisms of action does not obviate what the ears hear
I have just started a tour of one of my supercap PS on a UK forum & hope to have my other supercap audio devices also on tour soon
Absolutely correct: " ...but not knowing the full underlying mechanisms of action does not obviate what the ears hear"

pj
(P.S> Something the anti-cable guys simply are unable to comprehend, reason, appreciate. They really do belong to a sub-set of human kind. lol)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing