Why, oh why, does vinyl continue to blow away digital?

The threads always end up discussing preferences and differences, and basically the sides agree to disagree. I do see claims from vinyl listeners that they think the format sounds more “convincing” or realistic. I rarely see that opinion from the digital listeners. What I do read is that digital has improved and is now highly satisfying and enjoyable.
i talk about how my digital sounds all the time. on this and other threads. here is one of those times.
Do those who listen to digital believe the format sounds more realistic and convincing?
more realistic and convincing than vinyl? no, not in general.

or more realistic and convincing than before? yes, it is.

during my recent digital evolution this aspect has been a constant theme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
i talk about how my digital sounds all the time. on this and other threads. here is one of those times.

more realistic and convincing than vinyl? or more realistic and convincing than before? yes, it is.

during my recent digital evolution this aspect has been a constant theme.

Yes, you talk about your Wadax a lot, and it is a theme, but Mike, do you think your digital sounds more realistic or convincing than your vinyl? People who have both formats generally, I say generally, prefer the vinyl and think it sounds more realistic or so they have told me.

I think Carlos would say Digital sounds more realistic than vinyl. I don’t know why Siri capitalizes the word Digital.

Yes, a theme, but Mike, do you think your digital sounds more realistic or convincing than your vinyl? People who have both formats generally, I say generally, prefer the vinyl and think it sounds more realistic or so they have told me.
Peter, i edited my post prior to your question. which answers it. the linked comments speak to your question too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA
Peter, i edited my post prior to your question. which answers it.

Thank you for clarifying Mike. So when you say you prefer vinyl, you’re saying you enjoy it more and perhaps you’re more connected to the music, but you do not consider it more convincing. Is that correct? Do you find them equally realistic sounding? Or is that not a criteria for you?

Thank you for clarifying Mike. So when you say you prefer vinyl, you’re saying you enjoy it more and perhaps you’re more connected to the music, but you do not consider it more convincing. Is that correct? Do you find them equally realistic sounding? Or is that not a criteria for you?
it is the criteria. we are past the point where there are large differences objectively. but sometimes there are things that jump out and still make me say to myself; "digital cannot do that".

the better vinyl is more convincing and realistic than my current digital. it pulls me in more. but most recent digital upgrades have closed the gap with vinyl, but it's still a gap. but now my digital takes me to an experiential place that is quite special.

Bad argument. Most vinyl today is digital sourced.

Again, invalid argument. Most vinyl today is digital sourced (and you mention Taylor Swift as example for vinyl that people love). If people not into the high-end side of things prefer their digital vinyl over pure digital, then they must love the colorations from their particular vinyl playback, because it ain't analog. It's at the heart of it still digital. Or the D/A converter used for vinyl production is better than what they have for their digital. Oh, wait a minute: Their turntables usually have a USB port...never mind...

Or they love the vinyl for reasons of handling, the looks etc.

Or they love vinyl for all the above.

I don't see why that is even an argument at all. You are now conflating digital sound production with digital recording and playback.

Of course people play analog instruments, why would they otherwise? I would -- and so would probably virtually everyone else -- boycott orchestral concerts if they would replace their instruments with digital samplers or digital sound producers. The sheer thought of that is pathetic to me. It would ruin the whole experience, including the visual one.
Right, but why would you not prefer a digital violin to a Stradivarius or a digital piano to a classic Bosendorfer or Steinway. You say the sheer thought is pathetic to you. Why? At some gut level you prefer analog generation of music. It’s just your subjective preference. Perhaps that’s the case for why folks prefer vinyl? I’m speculating.

yes. he does. and he is entitled to his own opinion.

Of course he is as is everyone else. It’s why there’s little consensus in this hobby and it’s so fascinating.

And some will even argue that Digital sourced LPs are digital recordings, and that someone like me who only has a record player actually listens to Digital when playing contemporary vinyl. That’s fine too. I won’t argue with them that I can then directly compare analog to digital in my system.

Mikes digital sounds more vinyl than most peoples vinyl I hear.

I'm slightly tickled how few people actually are willing to chime in on this thread. One well known person who has said nothing but has one of the better systems, with excellent vinyl, told me privately, forget vinyl. Digital so good. And there is so much more well recored and produced music on digital that vinyl is a waste of time.

I love my vinyl. But I have no doubt if I spent some more time fiddling with my digital, I could surpass my vinyl again.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

I'm slightly tickled how few people actually are willing to chime in on this thread. One well known person who has said nothing but has one of the better systems, with excellent vinyl, told me privately, forget vinyl. Digital so good. And there is so much more well recored and produced music on digital that vinyl is a waste of time.

I love my vinyl. But I have no doubt if I spent some more time fiddling with my digital, I could surpass my vinyl again.
Well that is what the manufacturers of expensive digital would have you believe. Good luck with that...

Reactions: Lagonda
Do those who listen to digital believe the format sounds more realistic and convincing?
Thanks for answering my question. I now have a much better understanding of your focused priorities.

To answer your question, maybe or maybe not. But they apparently are not "stuck" on your music listening criterion or need to convince others (with your priorities) to justfy their personal media preferences.

Folks listen to music for a number of reasons well beyond your apparent limited boundaries. I personally could care less about "realistic and convincing". I listen for personal relaxation / introspection, inner peace and serenity. I consider myself an avid, dedicated music listening addict and my current system satisfies all those needs.

And I certainly have no desire to "convince" others that this is THE purpose(s) for music listening. That would be very presumptive, not to mention arrogant, on my part. Pretty silly, unnecessary and a waste of time in my view.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rexp

if you have 7000-8000 Lp's from the Golden Age, there are plenty of reasons for vinyl. even if they are equivalent.

if you are starting out then that is a different question, primarily a media one. where is your musical heart. are you an explorer, or wanting the war horses at the tip top?

then there are levels of both and levels of commitment for both to consider.

but agree it is not a simple question with one answer. digital takes a smaller footprint and is easier to fit into a busy life or maybe kids and limited time.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Thanks for answering my question. I now have a much better understanding of your focused priorities.

To answer your question, maybe or maybe not. But they apparently are not "stuck" on your music listening criterion or need to convince others (with your priorities) to justfy their personal media preferences.

Folks listen to music for a number of reasons well beyond your apparent limited boundaries. I personally could care less about "realistic and convincing". I listen for personal relaxation / introspection, inner peace and serenity. I consider myself an avid, dedicated music listening addict and my current system satisfies all those needs.

And I certainly have no desire to "convince" others that this is THE purpose(s) for music listening. That would be very presumptive, not to mention arrogant, on my part. Pretty silly, unnecessary and a waste of time in my view.

I agree completely. I’ve never tried to convince someone who prefers Digital that he or she should listen to vinyl instead. I would consider that a complete waste of time and effort. And who cares? I’m not a dealer and I don’t sell anything.

My participation in threads like this is to try to learn something and see why others prefer the things they do. Lots of different approaches to this hobby that’s why it’s so fascinating.

Exactly. I don't think I need to convince anyone. I am very happy with my digital and that's it.

if you have 7000-8000 Lp's from the Golden Age, there are plenty of reasons for vinyl. even if they are equivalent.

if you are starting out then that is a different question, primarily a media one. where is your musical heart. are you an explorer, or wanting the war horses at the tip top?

then there are levels of both and levels of commitment for both to consider.

but agree it is not a simple question with one answer. digital takes a smaller footprint and is easier to fit into a busy life or maybe kids and limited time.
Isn't it always a question of recording quality? Problem is most recent recordings are poor.

Isn't it always a question of recording quality? Problem is most recent recordings are poor.
Recent recordings are not all poor. Some suck. Of course. Some are damb good. There are a lot of good DDD recording coming out every year. There are less good vinyl records that are showing up to be found in used shops.

most are not poor. but some are. it's more that the way recordings are assembled these days makes it harder for them to sound special.

in spite of that, there are plenty of great sounding digitally sourced recent recordings. but the combination of artists, performances, the written music, a more simple recording process, and......ALL ANALOG.....is hard to beat. the recorded musical creativity of 1950-1975/80 is just epic. those things are part of the equation of vinyl.

lots of current digital recordings are more enjoyable than mediocre performances that are all analog. it's still comes down to the musical connection which starts out with the artist and performance then the quality of the recording. mixing, mastering, format are all involved, but lesser than those other things.

i can listen to excellent recently recorded digital all day long. and never feel like i'm missing anything at all. but i can also pick out a few vintage pressings that would top them. so depends on the prism you are looking through.

Last edited:
Recent recordings are not all poor. Some suck. Of course. Some are damb good. There are a lot of good DDD recording coming out every year. There are less good vinyl records that are showing up to be found in used shops.
Old people with great record collections are dying every day, their kids and spouses sell of everything! ;)

most are not poor. but some are. it's more that the way recordings are assembled these days makes it harder for them to sound special.

in spite of that, there are plenty of great sounding digitally sourced recent recordings. but the combination of artists, performances, the written music, a more simple recording process, and......ALL ANALOG.....is hard to beat. the recorded musical creativity of 1950-1975/80 is just epic. those things are part of the equation of vinyl.

lots of current digital recordings are more enjoyable than mediocre performances that are all analog. it's still comes down to the musical connection which starts out with the artist and performance then the quality of the recording. mixing, mastering, format are all involved, but lesser than those other things.

i can listen to excellent recently recorded digital all day long. and never feel like i'm missing anything at all. but i can also pick out a few vintage pressings that would top them. so depends on the prism you are looking through.
Can you name some recent well recorded Jazz albums? Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing