Why Tube Amps Sound Different (and better) Than SS Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years is a lifetime in that technology. I have a second generation POD. It's probably 60% of the real thing. FWIW, I don't buy your response by a long shot either. I was figuring we just had a slightly different experience until you said "don't have the guts." Then I knew we were talking about completely different products.

How did you record that modeling amp? Which amp was it? What kind of mic did you use?

Tim

Tim, I'm not guessing what modeler Ralph heard or was using, BUT I can tell you, I have a newer Vox Tonelab LE and a Vox Tonelab SE with a rolled in NOS 12ax7 Telefunken ( a little crazy huh) and I used to own a Pod 2 ( which IMO isn't even close to the Vox's)....neither come close to the sound of the real amp. My Mesa Boogie has FAR FAR more tone expression than any of the amp models that are actually modeled after it. I know you have used a deluxe reverb in the past, question is how long has it been since you were using that amp? Playing through a Tweed Princeton reverb a couple of days ago, I REALLY WISH that any modeler could get that sound. I really DO!!
I don't think Ralph is right about the modeler being 60% of the real thing...

IMHO, it's not even 30%!

At times I have regretted starting this thread because we seem to rehash the same things we have always hashed out and yet sometimes I'm glad because we at least are talking and some people are maybe learning something new.

Francisco-I found my copy of the VTL book which is tattered and torn because some time ago one of my dogs chomped on a corner of it. Believe it or not, I'm missing pages 51-53. The beginning of the book opens up with a series of quotes from some famous high-end people which mirrors much of what has been said on this thread. I would post those quotes, but I don't want to get into any copyright issues. I also came upon an old issue of TAS where MF challenged David Clark to a double blind test for amplifiers. The test involved a VTL 500 watt tube amp, a Crown amp, and a Threshold amp. MF scored a perfect 5 out of 5 with his ability to identify each amp correctly. David Manley brought a Studer C-37 and nothing but master tapes and dubs of master tapes were used for the test. David Clark tried to rig up the box that was used to plug all of the amps into so that it favored the Crown amp. David Manley was a little too smart and caught what Clark was up to and snipped out the added components that Clark had installed which was going to help the Crown with the speaker load and was going to reduce the output of the Manley amp to make it lower than the other two.

Now I will like Paul Harvey tell the rest of the story.

Speakers in that test were large Infinity. A difficult load. Response was flat with the Threshold to 20 khz. The Crown drooped by 2 db. And the VTL had larger response differences and in more than one area. The box was an attempt to EQ all amps to the same response. And as I recall the decision to make the VTL less loud was because it had the highest gain and would play louder with the same input signal. I believe the Crown had variable input. So this was not to make the VTL quieter than the other amps. Rather to make them all play the same loudness. And yes David Manly refused to allow that. I don't remember if they came to some other accommodation on the basic loudness or not. But Manly didn't allow any EQ.

So no surprise one could pick out an amp with 3 db response variations along the audible spectrum (and maybe louder too) vs one that is flat. Also no surprise one could discern a colored amp from one not so colored. And yes I count FR variation as a coloration. Is there more to the tube sound than that? This test has nothing to say on it. There may or may not be. But response variations are known to be audible. Sigh..............

Tim, I'm not guessing what modeler Ralph heard or was using, BUT I can tell you, I have a newer Vox Tonelab LE and a Vox Tonelab SE with a rolled in NOS 12ax7 Telefunken ( a little crazy huh) and I used to own a Pod 2 ( which IMO isn't even close to the Vox's)....neither come close to the sound of the real amp. My Mesa Boogie has FAR FAR more tone expression than any of the amp models that are actually modeled after it. I know you have used a deluxe reverb in the past, question is how long has it been since you were using that amp? Playing through a Tweed Princeton reverb a couple of days ago, I REALLY WISH that any modeler could get that sound. I really DO!!

IMHO, it's not even 30%!

My last Deluxe comes to band practice weekly with the other guitar player. I haven't forgotten what it sounds like. Haven't heard the Vox, but I can't imagine what a preamp tube is doing in a modeling amp other than serving a marketing role. I've never tried the models for high-gain, channel-switching amps like Mesa Boogies and wouldn't know if they came close anyway, because I'm just not familiar with them. Not my thing. But for low-gain, classic clean to crunch, the stupid-cheap Fender Mustang III is frighteningly good. The programming software sucks, but the tone is real.

Tim

My last Deluxe comes to band practice weekly with the other guitar player. I haven't forgotten what it sounds like. Haven't heard the Vox, but I can't imagine what a preamp tube is doing in a modeling amp other than serving a marketing role. I've never tried the models for high-gain, channel-switching amps like Mesa Boogies and wouldn't know if they came close anyway, because I'm just not familiar with them. Not my thing. But for low-gain, classic clean to crunch, the stupid-cheap Fender Mustang III is frighteningly good. The programming software sucks, but the tone is real.

Tim

Tim, Vox has used a tube (12ax7 or similar) in their Valvetronix line for several years now. It is not just marketing hype as the tube does have a significant effect on the sound of the various amps being modeled. ( which is why i rolled in a Telefunken NOS).
BTW, not all Mesa's are just high gain...my particular one can go either way and lets one dial in the high gain or not. Personally, I do NOT like the high gain sound...typical rectifier sound. However, on the various clean settings these amps can really shine. Not so much as a blackface Fender, BUT you may be surprised at how much. I have not heard a Mustang 111, but your comments have piqued my interest now...isn't this amp fairly inexpensive?

Speakers in that test were large Infinity. A difficult load. Response was flat with the Threshold to 20 khz. The Crown drooped by 2 db. And the VTL had larger response differences and in more than one area. The box was an attempt to EQ all amps to the same response. And as I recall the decision to make the VTL less loud was because it had the highest gain and would play louder with the same input signal. I believe the Crown had variable input. So this was not to make the VTL quieter than the other amps. Rather to make them all play the same loudness. And yes David Manly refused to allow that. I don't remember if they came to some other accommodation on the basic loudness or not. But Manly didn't allow any EQ.

So no surprise one could pick out an amp with 3 db response variations along the audible spectrum (and maybe louder too) vs one that is flat. Also no surprise one could discern a colored amp from one not so colored. And yes I count FR variation as a coloration. Is there more to the tube sound than that? This test has nothing to say on it. There may or may not be. But response variations are known to be audible. Sigh..............
So which was the worse of two evils?

So which was the worse of two evils?

That is a really good question. My opinion is you have to match loudness for the test to have any meaning. I haven't read the article in several years and don't remember if they matched volume in some other way.

The EQ according to my idea is something they shouldn't have done. If the VTL had a sound, then altering EQ alters that sound. Same for the Crown. I do wonder then what is the point of the test.

Just guessing at their thinking, they thought if EQ'd the same, and the tube amp had some other discernible character for other reasons this would show it. Maybe they could have done it the other way. EQ the Threshold and see if it sounded like the VTL. Again though what was the real aim and intent?

The bottom line is not that MF could discern them being a surprise. Really there is no surprise. And with the fairly substantial difference in FR between the amps there wasn't much point in doing the test.

IMHO, it's not even 30%!

Horses for courses. It all depends on a number of things.

If you're recording, are you doing high-gain dropped-C metalcore à la August Burns Red or classic tweed Americana à la Bill Frisell? How many tracks are you stacking? If you are stacking tracks, are you combining amps - say a Deluxe Reverb for some clean definition, a Plexi for some mid-crunch, and a Mesa for some buzzy bottom heft? How good is the player's technique? Does the modelling amp help compensate for some of the player's deficiencies?

If you're touring, is it practical to bring three amps on the road? Can you afford a tech? What size venues are you playing at? Is the backline being provided for you? Are you touring as support to a headliner and therefore first on and off the stage? Can you afford to have a groupie pour beer all over your priceless Two Rock and not worry about it?

When I was producing and engineering we used modelling a quite a bit, but would almost always re-amp the track through an actual amp and mic it up, sometime combining the two tracks in the mix. Sometimes the modeller by itself was too dry, too synthetic, and sometimes re-amping helped the player feel a bit more connected in with their playing when tracking. Sometimes you simply got more dimension by re-amping the modeller, and sometimes re-amping helped it sit better in the mix. Sometimes the modeller would just be used for a solo, or a clean picking part at the start of a song. Sometimes the track would end up using a real amp, a SansAmp, a modeller and a re-amped version. Sometimes the modeller by itself was enough, but again, it all depended on the player, the tone we were after, the song itself and how many tracks were going into the mix. And of course, it depended on how much time the band had and their budget.

Guitar tone is subjective, but in my limited experience with them, I think the best modelling amps are the Fractal Axe FX and the Kemper Profiler Amp. Strictly speaking, the Kemper isn't a modeller but a sampling amp, that mimics an amp where a series of signals played through the user's amp are analysed and stored in memory. 1000 virtual amps can be sampled and stored this way. Nice idea. There's no doubt modelling amps like the Fractal and the Kemper have brought modelling/profiling a long way since the early PODs, and I'm in no doubt they'll continue to evolve. Pays to keep an open mind.

Personally, however, I doubt I'll ever tire of plugging a guitar in to the input jack or a real amp, tweaking the tone, cranking the master and using my hands and my heart to make music, but as another colour in the paintbox, I think the Kemper or Fractal would be worthwhile additions in making art.

Tim, Vox has used a tube (12ax7 or similar) in their Valvetronix line for several years now. It is not just marketing hype as the tube does have a significant effect on the sound of the various amps being modeled. ( which is why i rolled in a Telefunken NOS).
BTW, not all Mesa's are just high gain...my particular one can go either way and lets one dial in the high gain or not. Personally, I do NOT like the high gain sound...typical rectifier sound. However, on the various clean settings these amps can really shine. Not so much as a blackface Fender, BUT you may be surprised at how much. I have not heard a Mustang 111, but your comments have piqued my interest now...isn't this amp fairly inexpensive?

They're dirt cheap compared to a vintage fender. FWIW I'm convinced you've got to have the speaker configuration to get the sound -- so 12", open back, good guitar speaker gets you really close to the deluxe, plenty close emough to the Vox or Twin, but the smaller, closed back set ups lose a lot and a line out to the PA loses even more. The blackface models are the best, so it is a good match for me. But the tweeds aren't too shabby. I don't miss my Deluxes at all, but it could be expectation bias. :) oh and 853gus experience above? Completely different. I'm doing what I always did with the tube amps -- plugging straight into the amp and playing. Live in fairly small rooms. Rarely even mic the amps. But it is, IMO, the most natural, organic use of a guitar rig. Best tone test around.

Talk about thread drift...we need a room.

Tim

Last edited:

Although I think the Bob Carver challenge also used Infinity.
Didn't Bob state that to create "identical" amps the varying frequency response is only one factor; others that he dealt with were relative phase shift-group delay/damping factor/slew rate/etc to achieve an adequate null test.

One example of the complexity involved as mentioned by the article (was eventually resolved and 70db null was sustained):
Stereophile said:
It took another day to find the source of the trouble and work on correcting it. The trouble, it seemed, came from my Variac, which could not deliver enough current to meet the brief, but very high demands of the reference amplifier when playing music into demanding loudspeakers rather than mockups. Back at the hotel room, Bob had been trying to match his amp to one that was working with one hand tied behind its back. The matching that had produced a 70dB null in the hotel collapsed to 35dB in my home, so it was necessary to produce a new model of the reference amplifier as it performed with adequate current availability.

The point of my post was more from an engineering/technical context with the complexity and more than one variable involved rather than proving amps sound the same.
Tbh the listeners needed to go in more prepared and with carefully selected segments that "engineer" specific traits such as sibilance,fast energy spike-decay from percussion, possible poor recordings with phase or other issues,etc (if I remember J. Gordon Holt alluded later a very specific approach is required to try and determine differences in comparing close matching equipment).
But even then this does not guarantee any differences would be audible.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:
Remember too that Bob said he didn't ned to use the distortion pots to get the null. He also went on to say that distortion in tubes running within their range is too low to be really audible/make a difference.

Greg, your philosphy is good and i see no problem with it. however, i can only say this, wiggles in air are analyzed to a much greater degree, in every respect, by test equipment vs the ear. its not a contest but a fact. yes, different electronics can sound different and do, but if the measurements are thorough, you cant tell the difference, and, your ear matching one side to the other is not that good either, nor most anybody elses. once we can measure below audibility, that is acknowledging that our ear/brain system has limits, its over. and we can measure below our ear/brain limits. its over. that does not preclude doing things to improve audio reproduction, but i am afraid that two channel stereo via speakers (headphones and true binaural are coming eventually) is dead ended, as there is already every kind of device to change every parameter of every sound we care to send through those two amplification channels. my point again is, seperating ability to measure what is audible, form what our ear/brin interface does. its my main point.

the compromises in an audio system are magnitudes broader and worse than in a measuring system of air wiggles....
Being the gentleman that you are you politely ignored all the points I raised.

When your rebuttal is distilled it is the familiar refrain.
Those pesky humans. That is our goal. To design a system that convinces humans that we have reproduced the real thing. It is that ear brain interface that must figure out what is wrong and devise a solution. The ear brain reigns supreme for no other reason than it is the
Hinal arbiter of our effort.

Being the gentleman that you are you politely ignored all the points I raised.

When your rebuttal is distilled it is the familiar refrain.
Those pesky humans. That is our goal. To design a system that convinces humans that we have reproduced the real thing. It is that ear brain interface that must figure out what is wrong and devise a solution. The ear brain reigns supreme for no other reason than it is the
Hinal arbiter of our effort.

In this context, the following paper by Ralph (Atmasphere) is interesting:

http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Paradigms_in_Amplifier_Design.php

Isn't it interesting that today Bob Carver makes tube gear? If he could produce the same sound with SS, why doesn't he now? It would be a lot cheaper. So one way or the other he's a charlatan? Can't have it both ways.

Remember too that Bob said he didn't ned to use the distortion pots to get the null. He also went on to say that distortion in tubes running within their range is too low to be really audible/make a difference.

That is a good point as well.
I remember Keith Howard article into audibility/preference of distortion and even at 3% those differences he stated were very slight to perceive in A/B comparison.
Ironically he also goes on to state that his preference was not for either odd or even harmonic type distortion but an actual clean output, which contradicts the idea moderately large tube distortion "enhances" sound.

Just to clarify my previous post about audibility down to 4% was an actual dbt study, while Keith Howards was a personal investigation/article (and also was non-linear I think but not 100% sure).

Cheers
Orb

Isn't it interesting that today Bob Carver makes tube gear? If he could produce the same sound with SS, why doesn't he now? It would be a lot cheaper. So one way or the other he's a charlatan? Can't have it both ways.

Genius engineer with regards to audio electronics IMO, just like Nelson Pass and a few others.
Cheers
Orb

Because no one would buy it. The people who want tubes won't believe in it. The people who prefer solid state won't want the sound. So Bob has created a product that he can sell at a very high margin -- bottles, bling and way more expensive than it needs to be. If that makes him a charlatan you've condemned an industry.

Tim

Because no one would buy it. The people who want tubes won't believe in it. The people who prefer solid state won't want the sound. So Bob has created a product that he can sell at a very high margin -- bottles, bling and way more expensive than it needs to be. If that makes him a charlatan you've condemned an industry.

Tim
Tim that is too simple a rationalisation.
In audio it seems if something is well engineered, sounds excellent and has great "pedigree" (he is notable as a great engineer with historically good sounding products) then customers will listen or take note.
Otherwise how do other esoteric brands/manufacturers even manage to get a listen and sell products when they start out.
BTW there are several small and large high quality audio manufacturers out there that successfully sell both SS and tube products, so the issue goes deeper than that explanation IMO.

Cheers
Orb

Tim

Nonsense. People bought his SS gear then and would still today because he's Bob Carver. The market is also much greater for SS gear because many people don't want to deal with tubes.

And *show* me that the margin for tubes is more than SS gear. That's absolute baloney. And have you actually priced Bob's stuff? Quite reasonable for what it delivers. Plus in the beginning Bob was going direct.

I would expect that people would debate Bob Carver audio career referring to his statements, interviews and reviews or opinions about the sound quality of his old and current products. But some people really seem to be obsessed with high hypothetical margins and bling ...

Some information about the Jade Design-Carver merging can be found here : http://www.stereophile.com/content/jade-design-acquires-bob-carver-llc

Last edited:
I saw a video on you tube where that question was pit to Carver. He dodged it.
While making tube amps might male him a hypocrite he is not a charlatan. He remains a gifted amplifier designer of any genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu