Why Tube Amps Sound Different (and better) Than SS Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man what a useless thread at this point.

On musicians and what they hear, going back to a post a few pages ago, I have by and large found them to be less sensitive to equipment. Musicians listen to the music, audiophiles to the gear. A musician is more likely to notice the third not dropped enough in pitch to fit the chord than the high noise and distortion (until it gets very high) and is much less likely to pick out sonic details routinely discussed in audio fora. I showed some members of the orchestra a TAS review once and they wanted to know how it sounded? Much of the descriptive prose was out of context for them, they didn't grasp the review.

Of course that is not true for all musicians, nor all audiophiles, but that's the trend I have seen (in my roles as an audiophile, musician, and engineer). YMMV - Don

I agree in part with what you have said Don. On the other hand, I've found that musicians going shopping for instruments such as a piano describe the sound characteristics in much the same terms that audiophiles do.

Oh yeah! Any instrument... My fellow trumpet players can debate the merits of mouthpieces, leadpipes, and bell flares for hours/days/weeks, and some string players are much worse. Heck, I overheard a debate between a couple of flutists on which of their $10k+ headjoints was best. :eek:

Oh yeah! Any instrument... My fellow trumpet players can debate the merits of mouthpieces, leadpipes, and bell flares for hours/days/weeks, and some string players are much worse. Heck, I overheard a debate between a couple of flutists on which of their $10k+ headjoints was best. :eek:

Was one of those flutists my daughter?

Once the instrument is really good, it's a matter of preference.

And you surely knew when you started this thread that if no one showed up to take the opposite position that it would be a one-page handshake. You start it because you know there will be debate. I enter because I know there will be debate. We're here for the same reason, Mark; entertainment. There does, however, come a time when the argument has circled exactly the same points enough times and is ready, as it has been so many times before, wind down. 41 pages is pretty good, I think.

Tim

It's up to 42 pages now and maybe it will die soon Tim. I said before in this thread that if I would have thought about it a little longer, I may have not started this thread. I also said it was somewhat ironic that I started this thread since most people know I sold off all of my tube gear in September of 2012 (except for my Ampex 350s) and have been listening to a Krell KPE Reference phono stage, Krell KRC-HR linestage, and a Krell KSA-250 power amp since then. And of course that chain doesn't include my digital playback gear. I just happened to receive some tube gear for review (a preamp and a pair of monoblocks) and having lived on a SS diet of electronics for approximately 17 months, I was struck (once again) by how good tube gear sounds and the aural differences between the two (SS vs. tube). I'm guilty of sharing my joy and postulating on why one sounds different from the other. Even my bro Francisco took me to task for how I started this thread and in retrospect, I could have done better.

Once the instrument is really good, it's a matter of preference.

Yup, though the same could be said of audio gear, yes? I know tubes are by and large more colored than SS, I just happen to like their color... :)

Yup, though the same could be said of audio gear, yes? I know tubes are by and large more colored than SS, I just happen to like their color... :)

So do I and many others Don. I believe it was TOM in TAS that came up with the analogy many years ago that if music was a paint by numbers painting, SS gets enough colors on enough numbers that you recognize what the painting is supposed to be even though it leaves off paint on some of the numbers. Tubes on the other hand fill in all of the missing numbers that have no paint and therefore gives you the whole painting without making your brain fill in the missing numbers.

I disagree mightily with that analogy but no worries. I would say SS provides high contrast, sharp focus and great detail, while tubes soften the painting, giving it warmth and making it more pleasing to the eye.

As for the thread wander, don't worry about it, Mark, look at all the time people have spent on this thread! Some interesting points have been brought forth (as well as much venom and urine). Personally I found ages ago that the microphonics in their impulse response and higher distortion made (most) tube gear actually sound richer and fuller and am happy with that. I wouldn't mind going tubes again but simply can't afford it (on many levels). That said, I have not been able to part with my old, modified, beat-up SP3a1; still have the idea I'll rebuild it when I retire and use it with my TT. Both are in storage now, no place for them in my current system.

I disagree mightily with that analogy but no worries. I would say SS provides high contrast, sharp focus and great detail, while tubes soften the painting, giving it warmth and making it more pleasing to the eye. (...)

Don,

You should listen to SoundLabs driven SS or ARC current tube equipment. I would not refer to sharp focus, as SoundLab's do not have razor image, although they manage to separate everything, but the tubes clearly win in having higher contrast and greater detail. BTW, we only notice it if , as Myles has referred, the source can supply it. Surely, all IMHO and YMMV.

From wikipedia on timbre:

In music, timbre (/?tæmb?r/ TAM-b?r or /?t?mb?r/ TIM-b?r) also known as tone color or tone quality from psychoacoustics, is the quality of a musical note or sound or tone that distinguishes different types of sound production, such as voices and musical instruments, string instruments, wind instruments, and percussion instruments. The physical characteristics of sound that determine the perception of timbre include spectrum and envelope.

In simple terms, timbre is what makes a particular musical sound different from another, even when they have the same pitch and loudness. For instance, it is the difference between a guitar and a piano playing the same note at the same loudness. Experienced musicians are able to distinguish between different instruments based on their varied timbres, even if those instruments are playing notes at the same pitch and loudness.

Thanks.

I would think the REL Storm takes plenty of the load off your tube amp.

Correct. I have heard my amps 'collapse' on speakers nominally more sensitive than mine, but with large woofers. On my speakers the sound has the same kind of energy, dynamics and timbres as with the Spectral, regardless of the type of music.

Thanks.

Correct. I have heard my amps 'collapse' on speakers nominally more sensitive than mine, but with large woofers. On my speakers the sound has the same kind of energy, dynamics and timbres as with the Spectral, regardless of the type of music.

Re-reading the wikipedia quote. I believe in full context, they weren't saying experienced musicians can tell a piano from a guitar. I believe they were saying though playing the same note they would hear timbre differences between say a Martin guitar and a Gibson. Or between a Yamaha grand and a Steinway.

It sounds as if maybe the Spectral and your tubes sound similar if not overstressed, and different if the tubes have to deal with a load with pushes them a bit more. Which isn't exactly different than what I have been saying altogether. Nor different from the idea that any equipment, if cleanly reproducing the input sounds similar.

Re-reading the wikipedia quote. I believe in full context, they weren't saying experienced musicians can tell a piano from a guitar. I believe they were saying though playing the same note they would hear timbre differences between say a Martin guitar and a Gibson. Or between a Yamaha grand and a Steinway.

It sounds as if maybe the Spectral and your tubes sound similar if not overstressed, and different if the tubes have to deal with a load with pushes them a bit more. Which isn't exactly different than what I have been saying altogether. Nor different from the idea that any equipment, if cleanly reproducing the input sounds similar.

Agreed on all points.

By the way, while the Spectral apparently does so, I don't believe that all typical SS amps cleanly reproduce the input.

Agreed on all points.

By the way, while the Spectral apparently does so, I don't believe that all typical SS amps cleanly reproduce the input.

No they don't. I think I may have mentioned, in my earlier experiment years ago series connecting a VTL feeding a Spectral, I did that with a handful of other SS amps, and not all were a clear window into the VTL sound. I do think in general modern amps are better, but there are so many that could in no way be a universal recommendation. Class D amps of some types have impressed me as awfully good for the money. Others as okay no cigar, and one as " oh my please turn that thing off, can't you see the blood running from my ears".

Says the guy who uses a dbx 4bx Dynamic Range Expander and a dbx 500 Subharmonic Enhancer.

Oh, and freely admits:

"...using a dbx 4bx Expander with Impact Restoration I can increase the "pop" of the snare drums to ear-shattering levels... I like my snares to be about 30db above the rest of the music on louder hits. I'll admit this departs from high-fidelity strictly because I am exaggerating the dynamics, but then audio is about enjoyment, and I built this system to provide accuracy and exaggeration to larger-than-life proportions as well...".

I especially like the way you combine the mutually exclusive ideals of "accuracy" and "exaggeration" in the same sentence as the words "larger-than-life". If there's anything worthy of the phrase "mind baffling", it's that sentence right there.

I have several modes of listening. That is a personal preference of mine. For the symphony playback, none of those devices are in the chain. I use them for enjoying electronic music, J-pop, rock, etc. But when I listen to the symphony, I want it uncolored and unenhanced.

Mark dont you think that is an insult to those who do like tubes and manufacturers such as Audio Research, McIntosh, Nagra,etc that frankly are nothing like what you suggest with that statement.

Must admit I am starting to be annoyed with generic views/statements (it is not just you) about both distortion (enough counter investigations to highlight it may not actually be beneficial in terms of preference or objective dbt audibility with music as mentioned in the past even in this thread) and tube electronics where the view always has to be focused on the very worst in terms of performance/measurements.

Cheers
Orb

It's not intended as an insult, just an observation. McIntosh amplifiers are among the few VT amplifiers which are really, objectively good quality, high fidelity amplifiers. It's the newer stuff that I am finding to be severely deficient.

So many folks these days exhibit purchase decisions that suggest that they possess more money than common sense.

The Jadis integrated Orchestra amplifier is hardly their best component. Why don't you measure a JA-200 or 500?

BTW, my friend Larry Smith (Perfectionist Audio Components) was a damn good electronics and speaker designer in his day and he wouldn't have, as many other have, complimented the performance of the Jadis output transformers unless they were very good. IIRC circuit as I remember was based on Mac (Francisco and I discussed that a long time ago here). He had a wonderful set of speakers like the four speaker Infinity design based around the Strathearn ribbon and their were few equals to his preamplifier. He and his partner Sal Demicco (RIP) also built some very good cables for the day.

I just find it hard to believe that in 60 or 70 years, there hasn't been any improvement to the design of output transformers. Tim, who's probably one of the world's expert in transformer design, would certain disagree. Not to mention the sound of tube amplifiers have improved by leaps and bound. What you say makes little sense since early tube amplifiers were really bandwidth limited and had little bass or top end to speak of and were muddier than hell. Since tube amplifier circuitry is basically based on the three same circuits (plus something like Ralph's OTL circuit), then what's responsible for the improvement in sound? Or hasn't the sound improved in your estimation? If that's the case, there's something really wrong in your system.

I will measure whatever people are willing to haul into my shop. I can't measure it if someone doesn't bring it in.

Logic would suggest that the state of the art is always improving. However, with some things, the greatest advancements were the product of individuals working within a company. The transformer industry had a lot of trade secrets. Special winding methods, the wire composition, the core configuration, and metals used in the core, etc. Just a handful of engineers knew the complete formula. Why it's so hard to reinvent that wheel? Maybe it has to do with the engineers being turned out of modern universities, or something along that line. Serious innovation has tapered off greatly in the US since the 1960s.

Early tube amps from the 1920s and 1930s were indeed limited. But by the fifties, high fidelity had reached a pinnacle with McIntosh and a few others making really high quality stuff with 10-40KHz power bandwidth and sub 0.2% distortion. Today, however, I'm seeing 'boutique' so-called 'high end' amplifiers with very limited bandwidth, ringing and unimpressive distortion figures as vacuum tube offerings. The circuits are all similar, so the remaining wildcard has to be the output transformers.

These are good news. Do you think the Russian 6P45 is capable of 1400mA plate current? As far as I remember reading in tube forums, the current production EL509s could not go beyond 500 mA. See: http://tubehifi.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=67129

On the data sheets I have (which are in Russian), it looks like the Ip curve goes a little past 1400mA, so yes, likely. And if I do the Class H mod that my power supply design will enable, I could double that current for brief periods. The tubes have enormous thermal mass. They can take 800mA continuous all day, and probably 4-5 times that for brief moments.

Hi Mark, yeah that amp from post 350 was brought out in this thread to show that although carvers amp had low specifications, other amps can go lower and still "sound" good. Its when a comparison is made to an amp with better specifications or abilities, is it then revealed what one is missing. Used in isolation, that low spec amp sounds good until something better is heard. This is a point to be made here. For me, its those details in the recording that are revealed by a cleaner amplification system, not "new" details or "dynamics" revealed in an amp that unquestionably adds a new tonal pattern to what was recorded. SET amps simply fall apart when trying to reproduce a full blown orhestral recording and those that don't believe that simply need to play a SET and a ss amp at the same time to hear the missing details (as opposed to embellishment of some details) the SET amp adds....the SET amps simply add too much extra richness to higher level tones and thus end up stepping all over the lower level details. When i listen to orhcestral, the SET is out of the system.

The simple fact is, SET amps (thinking the 2A3 variety here, not some massive transmitting tube with 2kV on the plate) are typically capable of single digit wattage at relatively high THD. Orchestral music strains the bandwidth and easily requires too much of such a small amplifier.

I believe that the best approach is to build as neutral a system as possible. Then add processing chain to give the desired effects WHEN YOU WANT THEM, or bypass them completely. An interesting device would be a box with three triodes in it, and a three way frequency splitter. Each triode gets to add some harmonic richness to bass, mids and treble ranges, separately so they don't make gross intermodulation distortion, and recombine the result into full range and pass that on to the rest of the system. When you want high fidelity, you bypass the magic box. But when you're going for a certain sound which might be more satisfying to a particular taste, depending on type of music, you insert the box in the chain. Best of both worlds. That's why I have the dbx boxes to play with. Rarely do they get use, but once in a while, when I want to make a lot of noise, they can be fun.

I will measure whatever people are willing to haul into my shop. I can't measure it if someone doesn't bring it in.

Logic would suggest that the state of the art is always improving. However, with some things, the greatest advancements were the product of individuals working within a company. The transformer industry had a lot of trade secrets. Special winding methods, the wire composition, the core configuration, and metals used in the core, etc. Just a handful of engineers knew the complete formula. Why it's so hard to reinvent that wheel? Maybe it has to do with the engineers being turned out of modern universities, or something along that line. Serious innovation has tapered off greatly in the US since the 1960s.

Early tube amps from the 1920s and 1930s were indeed limited. But by the fifties, high fidelity had reached a pinnacle with McIntosh and a few others making really high quality stuff with 10-40KHz power bandwidth and sub 0.2% distortion. Today, however, I'm seeing 'boutique' so-called 'high end' amplifiers with very limited bandwidth, ringing and unimpressive distortion figures as vacuum tube offerings. The circuits are all similar, so the remaining wildcard has to be the output transformers.

Sorry but look and see how many designers in those days learned their craft in the military--and if they did go to school--went on the GI Plan.

Second, if you think the old tubes amps sound better than present day models from cj, ARC, VTL, VAC, CAT, etc., then all you are listening to are euphonic colorations. Come to think of it, have you heard a new tube amp from any of these companies? Or what *botique* amplifier are you talking about? BTW, let's call them what they are, high-end audio companies.

Last edited:
Yes, of course, because it directly tests what's being claimed.

Sure, but obviously not at 0.1 percent. Analog tape distortion at an amount that adds "character" is more like 2 to 5 percent distortion. And how many audiophiles complain about that level of odd-order distortion? :D

The reason "we still have these silly arguments 40-50 years on" is because some people prefer to believe in magic, and refuse to simply test this for themselves. For example, the notion that we can hear odd-order distortion that's too soft to measure, and that odd-order distortion as low as 0.001 percent is audible, and that distortion as soft as 0.1 percent can be "quite intolerable." All you have to do is add a few sine waves in an audio editor program to know this is completely wrong!

Not everyone has and knows how to use audio editing software, so I'll do the work and anyone reading can decide for themselves at what level odd-order 3rd harmonic distortion is objectionable or even audible. HERE is a link to a short Wave file that plays 1 KHz at -3 dB for 7 seconds. I inserted a 3 KHz 3rd harmonic tone that sustains for one second at 10 percent (-23 dB), then at 1 percent (-43 dB), then at 0.1 percent (-63 dB). Anyone can hear when there's 10 percent THD, but 1 percent is difficult to notice, and 0.1 percent is probably impossible for anyone to hear no matter how good their ears are. The image below shows how the added distortion tone pulses on and off, just so it's perfectly clear what the file contains.

--Ethan

thd_test.gif
Ethan, did you try this as a DBT ABX and if so what was the statistical significance at 1%,3%?
Furthermore what about other frequencies as it seems you have chosen one of the most ideal, such as 70HZ or 10kHz (these are far from being the worst ones as well in terms of perception).

While what you have done is interesting to do, unfortunately the test is too simplistic as it does not correlate well to actual music-complex sounds and I am not sure too much of a conclusion can be reached with this.

Keith Howard did a more advanced model where he applied distortion to the actual music, and created multiple scenarios such odd,even,equal,etc patterns.
His conclusion was that it is very difficult to hear distortion at 3% with music and this is even without doing dbt ABX with significant statistical result, furthmore I think this was non-linear (I mentioned earlier best I have read for hearing distortion with music in dbt was 4% using trained listeners).
His preference was always for the "clean" track no matter what distortion pattern he used.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

I can hear the difference between a Martin and a Gibson on a good recording, and many other things as well. But audiophiles often hear things that totally escape me. Perspective? Experience?

Nor different from the idea that any equipment, if cleanly reproducing the input sounds similar

That this is even remotely controversial baffles me. Perspective again? Maybe I hear very subtle differences in music as much larger than life, and some audiophiles hear very subtle differences in reproduction that way.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu