Will's Horn Finalists

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My issue with Acapellas is low 90s sensitivity with an expensive to replace, finicky tweeter. Good luck with Odeon- would love to hear them.

Reactions: Exlibris

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
I love the idea of the plasma tweeter, but I think I felt that it sounded a bit hot to me. But that was only in show conditions, and I suspect the right SET amplifier could ameliorate any brightness there.

Is there any kind of attenuator on the Acapella plasma tweeter?

Yes, there are adjustments for both the tweeter and midrange horn levels. Ive really loved my acapella speakers

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
i just got done visiting Viking Acoustic in Sante Fe, NM to discuss the building of my Grande Voix speakers. While there, I got to listen to his new Fantom Speakers. My oh my did they sound great with his 35wpc integrated amp.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
i just got done visiting Viking Acoustic in Sante Fe, NM to discuss the building of my Grande Voix speakers. While there, I got to listen to his new Fantom Speakers. My oh my did they sound great with his 35wpc integrated amp.

Did you get to listen to the TubeMaster? I should be getting mine soon.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Did you get to listen to the TubeMaster? I should be getting mine soon.
Yes I did....the pair I listened to were just completed for a guy in Spain. A totally different sound then the Fantom horn speaker.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Yes I did....the pair I listened to were just completed for a guy in Spain. A totally different sound then the Fantom horn speaker.

Yeahh, those Fantom are a wild design. David thinks the TM would be best for my equipment and smaller room but he's going to send me the standmount Berlin horn to try out also.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Yeahh, those Fantom are a wild design. David thinks the TM would be best for my equipment and smaller room but he's going to send me the standmount Berlin horn to try out also.
I will be really interested to see which speakers you decide on. Where do you live

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I’m in Michigan.
Spent most of my life in Michigan....Detroit, Canton, Plymouth, Northville and Birmingham. Love the lakes and the summers. I got tired of the winters....lol

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Spent most of my life in Michigan....Detroit, Canton, Plymouth, Northville and Birmingham. Love the lakes and the summers. I got tired of the winters....lol

For 3 seasons I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Winters really don’t bother me too much. I lived in CA for many years and everything about it drove me nuts.

Reactions: bazelio

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Can the Odeon No. 33 be used for nearfield listening (e.g. listening postion is 2m or less from the speaker plane) or do the three drivers need time and space to integrate?
That is pretty close :eek:
I think he sits rather more than 3m away.
I don't know when I see him next time but I will sit extra close to check it for you ;)

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
That is pretty close :eek:
I think he sits rather more than 3m away.
I don't know when I see him next time but I will sit extra close to check it for you ;)
Thank you! I look forward to hearing your impressions.
When I demoed the No. 26 I started about 5m back but enjoyed it better at about 3m. I never tried moving closer however.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you! I look forward to hearing your impressions.
When I demoed the No. 26 I started about 5m back but enjoyed it better at 4m. I never tried moving closer however.
I will most probably sooner be able to try it on a pair of 38/2 first :D
But if it should work there, it will also work on a 33 :p

Reactions: Exlibris

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I posed the question to the manufacturer and they recommended at least 2.5m.
Thanks for the info.
Sorry, I have to admit that I was at my friends place in the meantime but I forgot to sit closely :oops:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
For 3 seasons I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Winters really don’t bother me too much. I lived in CA for many years and everything about it drove me nuts.
Haha I can imagine. Even I'm getting fed up.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Thanks for the info.
Sorry, I have to admit that I was at my friends place in the meantime but I forgot to sit closely :oops:
I'm going to try putting the speakers along the short wall (the window wall) rather than having them along the long wall. I could place the speakers on top of the rug and have them 2m apart, on-centre. I'd bring that love seat down to the other end of the rug and use it as a listening chair. I'll try sitting 2.5m from the speaker plane and then I'll try sitting 2.5m from the speakers themselves.
008.jpg

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm going to try putting the speakers along the short wall (the window wall) rather than having them along the long wall. I could place the speakers on top of the rug and have them 2m apart, on-centre. I'd bring that love seat down to the other end of the rug and use it as a listening chair. I'll try sitting 2.5m from the speaker plane and then I'll try sitting 2.5m from the speakers themselves.
View attachment 62630
Very nice.
It is agreable to have a beautiful view while listening to wonderful music :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing