Will's Horn Finalists

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
So essentially you are saying we both don't like duos, you haven't heard trios for 15 years, you haven't heard Anima, universum, DIY horns, and we have different tastes? All those speakers are very different sounding, btw. If you just are itching to make a purchase, go ahead and spend a lot of like on the Odeon which is the least good sounding of all of them also less than many inefficient speakers, and doesn't work with your current amps. Or hold off from the purchase and investigate a bit more with the DIY community

After a visit to Christoph's and my place you wrote on 12th April 2017:
"...we moved to a neighbor of Christoph’s, who too has the same speakers, a model lower (Odeon nr. 32) with Lamm M1.1, and in his room they really sang. The room was much smaller (yet a reasonably sized room), and the bass and integration seemed to match it. The Odeon nr.38s are seamless through the crossovers, and playing Bruch Scottish Fantasia, Emperor’s Piano, Scheherazade, and Winterreise through them was extremely enjoyable."
I wonder what changed your mind since.
You are cordially invited to pay me a visit in Liechtenstein and to listen to my present set up (Odeon nr. 38.2, Aries Cerat Impera II, Concero 65).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
After a visit to Christoph's and my place you wrote on 12th April 2017:
"...we moved to a neighbor of Christoph’s, who too has the same speakers, a model lower (Odeon nr. 32) with Lamm M1.1, and in his room they really sang. The room was much smaller (yet a reasonably sized room), and the bass and integration seemed to match it. The Odeon nr.38s are seamless through the crossovers, and playing Bruch Scottish Fantasia, Emperor’s Piano, Scheherazade, and Winterreise through them was extremely enjoyable."
I wonder what changed your mind since.
You are cordially invited to pay me a visit in Liechtenstein and to listen to my present set up (Odeon nr. 38.2, Aries Cerat Impera II, Concero 65).

I would love to, if we could fly now.

I just find universum much better, as I do some bespoke horns (which admittedly are not widely available commercially).

If someone has Odeon there is no point in changing, but if someone had not yet spent the money, there are other options available for the same price that I prefer more.

Also, in the case of Exilibris, he already has a set of electronics that does not work with Odeon, so it would have made more sense to order a speaker that worked with it, rather than one that didn't, hence I was suggesting he explore the Canadian DIY scene as they have various options there he could listen and order (he does not have to build himself)

Reactions: gian60

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Very nice.
It is agreable to have a beautiful view while listening to wonderful music :cool:
And you have the most beautiful view I can imagine.
For me, the decision to move the speakers to that "wall" is more about trying to deal with the problems I face with my room. I'm trying to go with a setup that is closer to one of the recommended ones from Cardas.
http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_rectangular_room.php

Reactions: christoph

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you! I look forward to hearing your impressions.
When I demoed the No. 26 I started about 5m back but enjoyed it better at about 3m. I never tried moving closer however.
I would say 3 meters is probably a better distance than 2. Since my Odeons are 2-ways they will probably work closer up than the 3-way 33s.

Reactions: Exlibris

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm going to try putting the speakers along the short wall (the window wall) rather than having them along the long wall. I could place the speakers on top of the rug and have them 2m apart, on-centre. I'd bring that love seat down to the other end of the rug and use it as a listening chair. I'll try sitting 2.5m from the speaker plane and then I'll try sitting 2.5m from the speakers themselves.
View attachment 62630
I don't know if this will give you the bass you want...windows and bass are problematic...

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I posed the question to the manufacturer and they recommended at least 2.5m.

You might experiment with different ear heights. For example, whether your ear is midway between mid and tweet, or at tweeter height, might make a noticeable difference. I'm guessing that ears @ tweeter height would work best up close.

The crossover between woofer & mid is 320 Hz, and imo that's low enough to not be a limiting factor as far as vertical plane cohesion goes. I would expect the 1.8 kHz crossover and 14 inches vertical spacing between mid and tweet to be the limiting factor.

Last edited:

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Dear all,
i‘m quite new to the forum and this is basically my first post even though i keep reading in this forum for a while now.
I will move into a new house with a dedicated listening room ( approx. size 10000x7000x4000mm), where my actual speakers will not be sufficient for that room size.
I‘ m looking into a new horn speaker for my rigg.
The finalist that i‘m considering so far:

- Horns Universum ( preferred looks of all the speakers i consider at the moment )
- Odeon 33 or 38
- AA Duo Mezzo XD
Did anyone had a chance to compare those speakers and maybe can share some impressions ?
The horn will be paired with my Aries Cerat electronics ( Genus, Talos, Kassandra ).
Mostly listening to jazz and rock, but classic and vocal is playing quite frequently too, just as Massive Attack and Trentemoeller does. Pretty much throughout the genres i’d say, with a preference for rock and jazz.
Would love to hear your insights about the mentioned speakers and their differences in sound, ease to drive and match with my electronics.
Cheers
Yakamoz

Reactions: MJG and christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Yakamozan!

Reactions: Yakamozan

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear all,
i‘m quite new to the forum and this is basically my first post even though i keep reading in this forum for a while now.
I will move into a new house with a dedicated listening room ( approx. size 10000x7000x4000mm), where my actual speakers will not be sufficient for that room size.

- Horns Universum ( preferred looks of all the speakers i consider at the moment )
- Odeon 33 or 38
- AA Duo Mezzo XD
Did anyone had a chance to compare those speakers and maybe can share some impressions ?
The horn will be paired with my Aries Cerat electronics ( Genus, Talos, Kassandra ).
Mostly listening to jazz and rock, but classic and vocal is playing quite frequently too, just as Massive Attack and Trentemoeller does. Pretty much throughout the genres i’d say, with a preference for rock and jazz.
Would love to hear your insights about the mentioned speakers and their differences in sound, ease to drive and match with my electronics.
Cheers
Yakamoz

I would say the universum is quite better for classical, vocals, and jazz, but not for rock and electronica. That said your preference sounds more rock and jazz and much less classical

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I would say the universum is quite better for classical, vocals, and jazz, but not for rock and electronica. That said your preference sounds more rock and jazz and much less classical
And eventually you will manage to turn around your recommendation to Tannoy and DIY Altec.

Reactions: Folsom

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Very nice.
It is agreable to have a beautiful view while listening to wonderful music :cool:[/Q
Thx for the quick feedback Bonzo!
May i ask what you believe the shortcoming of the Horns speaker is when it comes to rock and pop music ? Also compared to the other two models ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And eventually you will manage to turn around your recommendation to Tannoy and DIY Altec.

I never said I liked tannoy more than universum.

Reactions: gian60

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Dear all,

- Odeon 33 or 38
- AA Duo Mezzo XD
Cheers
Yakamoz

Hi Yakamoz

I own (as you might see on my avatar picture) and really love the hORNS Universum and I owned before the Odeon 32 and Odeon 38 (and know the Odeon 33 quite well, too).

I am not too fond of the AA speakers because I find the Universums tonally and timbrally more natural and organic sounding with excellent tranparency.

Your room will be fantastic with those generous dimensions :cool:

If you like electronic music a lot, then you might want to add subs to the Universums eventually.

Elecronic music would speak for the AA with their active subs, but for me that I rarely listen to that kind of music, I prefer the Universums performance on the other genres too much to go AA.

Where are you located?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thx for the quick feedback Bonzo!
May i ask what you believe the shortcoming of the Horns speaker is when it comes to rock and pop music ? Also compared to the other two models ?

It is the type of excursion. Odeon is more like a cone speaker. Also I find the upper mids and highs of beryllium horn drivers like TAD and Radian, similar to electrostats, not the best for rock. For rock I prefer less detail, more density, fullness, like with Altec highs.

For rock, a properly done Altec is much superior to all these, also for others as an overall rounded speaker. Universum mids and highs will be better than altecs if you value electrostat style transparency and transparency to recordings more, and classical

Vintage tannoy gold is better than universum, duos, and Odeon for rock and blues. Now trios are another matter.

Just to be clear, simply an observation, but when someone says I listen to all genre and some classical, I don't think the person is evaluating the same way as someone who listens to 80 percent classical, and does not really evaluate on transparency to recordings and on tone in the same fashion. A few audiophile classical recordings like Stravinsky firebird suite don't count.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yakamoz, geeetings. It's not the XD Mezzo, but I've had the good fortune to regularly listen to the AG Duos Omegas (2010 vintage) on the end of 45 tubes/Java line stage, w SGM2015 server/Aqua Formula XHD front end. In a hugely well worked system (all Sablon cbls/Taiko Daiza isolation), small but sympathetic room 19x11x8. Owner is WBF member Blue58.

I've heard the system over 5 yrs (not right now of course), evolving thru sources, ancilliaries, and optimising the Duos. And always on a wide range of music, from Ryan Adams to Rush to Nina Simone to Bach to Genesis to Rimsky-Korsakov to Duke Ellington to Niels Frahm to James Blake. And Blue's Duos are really adept across the range of genres. They are really compelling on a lot of bass heavy material like James Blake "Overgrown", absolutely nail material w sparse beats and uber space like Niels Frahm, eek out as much staging from flatter material like Genesis and other 70s prog and fusion, bloom beautifully w well recorded classical, voice and jazz, compelling w reproducing the space and ambience and accurate timbre in much acoustic music.

Indeed a 24/96 version of a Nina Simone song remains one of my fave experiences ever in a home audio system, testament to both the revealing but warm nature of Blue's Duos.

If you're after a chameleon spkr, sold on horns, adept across genres, revealing, warm, immersive, and unlike a lot of horns, able to totally convince on deep bass cuts, the Duos should be top of yr shortlist.
I can imagine the XD Mezzos will go at least two steps further Lol.

Reach out by PM to Blue58, he doesn't always read and respond to threads.

Good luck on yr final choice.

Last edited:

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Hello Yakamoz

Although I love Christoph‘s Universums for their transparency I prefer my combo of Odeons 38.2 on Aries Cerat Amps for its plus in weight, live like solid bass performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing