Wilson Audio announces the Alexia V

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Agree. I put in a pair of subs a few years back and was surprised how they impacted the room sonics. They seem to act more as a platform for the soundscape. So much so, they were initially interacting with the floor and walls to such an extent I had to isolate them from the floor. Used a couple sets of Norm Varney’s EVP’s (https://avroomservice.com/evp-2/) and that brought everything back in line. It seems that subs are in some ways pressurizing the room, providing a sort of sonic floor/base filler, in an unobtrusive way.
Likewise; EVPs used to isolate REL 25s from floor helped eliminate a muddled bass - combined with updating Wilson X1 with their improved footers.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Nice video of Peter presenting on the Alexia V at Innovative

Reactions: Sunra

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
My Diamond Black Alexia V’s have were installed a week ago. Here's what I’m hearing so far:

The Alexia V really delivers:

No more clutter…unpacks everything…nothing is hidden..ruthlessly exposes everything, including too close or bad miking in the source

Articulate comes to mind, as does clarity and lifelike decay

The soundscape is more clearly exposed in all three dimensions

Yet the background is quieter than it’s predecessor

Three dimensionality is magnified yet with proper proportionality

There’s a deep bass foundation that effortlessly delivers, when called for, with propulsive force

More articulate and dynamic…listening to Senor Mouse with Chick Corea and Gary Burton the instruments sound more like the real thing…as are massed voices, and an accordion on cuts like “Talk to Me of Mendocino” on Kate and Anna McGarrigle’s “Tell My Sister”. Like many other instruments played through the V’s, it's more realistically rendered.

Authoritative - especially moving air - think a Joe Frazier body blow

Greater delineation, resolution and accuracy of sounds with a better and more pinpoint soundstage imaging - this midrange is wonderful as is the tweeter. Seamless and absolutely time coherent presentation throughout

This speaker seems to demand you play the system louder to let it blossom, yet you don’t feel you’re being overwhelmed or swamped in the listening. And proportionality is maintained throughout the sonic spectrum.

Everything is more realistic…even the audience in live recordings is captured in all manner of varied microphone placements

Net: refined yet mighty!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! That's a wonderful report! Enjoy them!

That midrange driver definitely is amazing!

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I listened to Alexia Vs, MBL 111Fs, and Magico M3s over the weekend. I'm trying to find away to make the Alexia Vs my next speakers.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I listened to Alexia Vs, MBL 111Fs, and Magico M3s over the weekend. I'm trying to find away to make the Alexia Vs my next speakers.

It must feel good to have arrived at a decision!

Purely out of curiosity were all three of these speakers in the same room and connected to the same associated components? In other words, were these apples-to-apples auditions?

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Not apples to apples.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
What I found every time I listened at my dealer to each of the Alexia speakers (have been through all three) is that, though they all seemed better at each new release, it wasn't until they were installed and settled into my home that I really heard how much better they were compared to the last iteration. I think many home rooms are just a far better embodiment of the capabilities of speakers than typical store showrooms. In my case, the dealer set his up with help from Wilson on-site and then set them up at my home. Too bad we can't home audition in our own room/system first. We just have to hope the change is at least as good as what we perceive.

Reactions: MusicFellow

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
It must feel good to have arrived at a decision!

Purely out of curiosity were all three of these speakers in the same room and connected to the same associated components? In other words, were these apples-to-apples auditions?
For further context...I've listened to Magico M3s several times, including with my own amplifier and preamp. I've previously owned Wilson Audio Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas, so I was surprised with tonal change of the new Wilsons. I prefer the M3s bass to the Alexia Vs, but no matter what system I've heard the M3s in, they don't have the dimensionality and tonality that I prefer. At a list price of $94K for the M3s and $67K for the Alexia Vs' there's a value judgement that's included in my decision. My next step is to bring my amp and preamp to the dealer.

Reactions: MusicFellow

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For further context...I've listened to Magico M3s several times, including with my own amplifier and preamp. I've previously owned Wilson Audio Sophia 2s, 3s, and Sashas, so I was surprised with tonal change of the new Wilsons. I prefer the M3s bass to the Alexia Vs, but no matter what system I've heard the M3s in, they don't have the dimensionality and tonality that I prefer. At a list price of $94K for the M3s and $67K for the Alexia Vs' there's a value judgement that's included in my decision. My next step is to bring my amp and preamp to the dealer.

Thank you for elaborating. This sounds like a thoughtful and rational decision process!

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
Just placed an order for Wilson Alexia V's in Maserati Argento Silver (color I have now with the V1's) and taking a stab at changing the grills to Parchment Gray and silver/natural diodes.

Estimated shipment is 1 week in June '24. Oh BTW, all Wilson Audio speakers increase in price effective 02/15/2024.

If I dislike the parchment gray grills I can exchange within reason to black grills, I'm just so tired of every speaker I've owned with black grills -- trying something different which I think I'll like.

Using the Wilson calculator -- using Porsche GT Silver as an example (since Argento Silver is an upcharge -$2K & not available via the calculator) here's what they look like with black & then parchment gray grills:

Best to all,

Bob
Porsche GT Silver w/black grills & silver/natural diodes:
Alexia V in GT Silver with black grills, silver diodes .png

Porsche GT Silver w/parchment gray grills & silver/natural diodes:

Alexia V in Porsche GT Silver with Parchment Gray and Silver diodes.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing