Wilson Audio Maxx 3 arrived !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Birdwatcher,

What a fantastic set of electronics you own! I am an enormous admirer of Zanden electronics and Yamada San and his team. I have heard the 3000 and the 9600 Series 1 some years ago. Own the 4-box digital (obviously not amplification but an indication of the style/voice that Yamada San has). I also have been a 12 year consecutive owner of big Wilsons, first the Wilson X1/Grand SLAMMS and now the XLF.

The Maxx 3 is a sensational performer, and many found it difficult to look at the Alexandria 2 for so much more money when the Maxx 3 first replaced the Maxx 2 years ago. Speak with XV-1 here who owns it and drives it with both CJ monos and alternates with D'Agostinos.

From a voicing standpoint, I DO think for Baroque music, human voice, classical, the combination will be magic...and for wind and jazz. Absolute MAGIC. I have not heard the combination myself...but I intuitively feel this combination should really sing beautifully for that kind of music.

Where you may/may not seek a much more experienced and technical answer is in all-out power and bass. Think Hans Zimmer soundtracks with electronic deep bass layered into the music. The Zanden-Maxx 3 means the demands of the Maxx 3 may [emphasize "may"] strain the 9600 monos. That said, I have heard the Series 2 (which you own) has come a long, long way since the much older Series 1 in this regard. In which case, your Series 2 9600 may fly through the bass/all-out-dynamic power issue flawlessly.

Even if it does not (we have loads of power on tap and admit I dont truly use it), if you dont use it that kind of volume/power...you may find the combination on ALL music is pure magic. I certainly could see that happening. Some people listen at 85-90db regularly...with instantaneous peaks much higher than that. We do not.

Personally, I think for starters, the Maxx 3/Zanden amp combination is a sensational ly promising one I would personally love to hear. Hope that helps until you can find someone who has actually lived with this combination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing