Wilson Audio Sasha V

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
To me refinement would be a question, but "enough juice" would not be a concern of mine. The Humbolt is reputedly an absolutely tip top integrated at over 2X the price (in the US) of the Diablo 333.
By juice I also mean grip and control, not only power
One of the speakers I had with the Diablo 300 was the magico A3 and it couldn't control the bass 100%.
Jumping to the Humboldt made it very obvious.

Reactions: GSOphile

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I drove Magico S3 MkII's with a Diablo 300 for five years. Bass control and definition was a strong point, not a problem, and I doubt it would be with Sasha's. I think we are both speculating on what Gryphon's new one will sound like.

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I drove Magico S3 MkII's with a Diablo 300 for five years. Bass control and definition was a strong point, not a problem, and I doubt it would be with Sasha's. I think we are both speculating on what Gryphon's new one will sound like.
I thought the Diablo was ok until I compared it with the Humboldt and it was a world of difference.
As for the new gryphon, more than speculation, I think the Sasha are a different level than the entry level integrated, but I might be wrong.
As we say, we don’t know until we try

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I thought the Diablo was ok until I compared it with the Humboldt and it was a world of difference.
As for the new gryphon, more than speculation, I think the Sasha are a different level than the entry level integrated, but I might be wrong.
As we say, we don’t know until we try
I would not classify the Diablo 333 as entry level. The Diablo 120 is entry level for Gryphon (at about 40% of the 333's price), but hardly entry level for the industry. No argument here with the Humboldt being at the current top of the integrated stack (as was the Diablo 300 when it was introduced in 2015).

Reactions: FDPDK

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve had an opportunity to replace Mephisto with CH M1.1 and stayed with Mephisto. It is difficult to unhear vast dynamics of Gryphon class A sound. CH sounds soft in comparison. Also, Gryphon has some fullness that goes well with WA speakers in my opinion.

Reactions: GSOphile

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’ve had an opportunity to replace Mephisto with CH M1.1 and stayed with Mephisto. It is difficult to unhear vast dynamics of Gryphon class A sound. CH sounds soft in comparison. Also, Gryphon has some fullness that goes well with WA speakers in my opinion.

CH the gain feedback etc needs to be tuned by someone who knows CH well, and it shows very good transparency to recordings and no loss in dynamics. I don't know how it compares to Gryphon, but it sounds vastly better than untuned CH systems. I did notice on your videos (posted a year or two ago when you were auditioning) the Gryphon sounded better than the CH, and Tang thought the same, but it is not clear if you tuned the CH system. But video evidence back then was clearly in favor of Gryphon. Also iirc those videos were on digital, and Lampi has certain synergies, which might be different from analog.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Has anyone tried the PILIUM Zeus Amplifier or even the Atlas MONO compared to the Gryphon APEX
?

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
CH the gain feedback etc needs to be tuned by someone who knows CH well, and it shows very good transparency to recordings and no loss in dynamics. I don't know how it compares to Gryphon, but it sounds vastly better than untuned CH systems. I did notice on your videos (posted a year or two ago when you were auditioning) the Gryphon sounded better than the CH, and Tang thought the same, but it is not clear if you tuned the CH system. But video evidence back then was clearly in favor of Gryphon. Also iirc those videos were on digital, and Lampi has certain synergies, which might be different from analog.
Transparency - yes, but dynamics unfortunately not comparable to Gryphon. I did try different gain settings, maybe not all of them. 20% feedback setting gives you good dynamics, but it’s still not on a Gryphon level, and you loose CH midrange magic. Marty did reach the same conclusion with his M10s.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
All-out choice - Allnic H8000. I have one for you :)

Chrisl

May 1, 2016
A couple of days ago I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of Sasha 2 (for a budget option), as well as the Sasha Vs. The Sasha 2s were not impressive, too dark and unrevealing among other things. Now the Sasha Vs were absolutely outstanding. So intimate and dynamic and a wonderful listening experience paired with. D’Dgostino M400mxv monos. I see why a lot of people buy these amps with Wilson’s. I’m not sure yet if I have the budget yet for the Sacha.Vs, but I sure hope so, as I could easily live with the speakers. And a point of reference, I currently own Tidal Pianos v1.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A couple of days ago I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of Sasha 2 (for a budget option), as well as the Sasha Vs. The Sasha 2s were not impressive, too dark and unrevealing among other things. Now the Sasha Vs were absolutely outstanding. So intimate and dynamic and a wonderful listening experience paired with. D’Dgostino M400mxv monos. I see why a lot of people buy these amps with Wilson’s. I’m not sure yet if I have the budget yet for the Sacha.Vs, but I sure hope so, as I could easily live with the speakers. And a point of reference, I currently own Tidal Pianos v1.
Interesting feedback, and I think aside from generational advancement, there has been quite a broad swing of new listeners to Wilson Audio after Darryl began to instill his own ethos into Wilson speakers. Sasha DAW, then XVX vs XLF, Alexx V, Alexia V, and Sasha V, etc.

That said, have you heard the older Piano G2 or newer G3? Curious as to whether you considered going up in the Tidal family vs migrating across to Wilson.

Chrisl

May 1, 2016
No, I’ve only heard some of the new speakers like the Contriva. That too is a beautiful speaker. But one, it’s out of my price range and two I really wanted to get a slightly larger dynamic presentation to the music and it’s very much personal taste, kind of like choosing an American made muscle car over German made sports car. If I had a higher budget, I would probably go for the Alexia V

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No, I’ve only heard some of the new speakers like the Contriva. That too is a beautiful speaker. But one, it’s out of my price range and two I really wanted to get a slightly larger dynamic presentation to the music and it’s very much personal taste, kind of like choosing an American made muscle car over German made sports car. If I had a higher budget, I would probably go for the Alexia V
Fair enough. Look forward to finding out where you go next. Interesting options.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing