Wilson Audio Sasha V

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I have to hand it to Wilson, they figured out how to have their cake and eat it too. They offer incremental improvements that are conveniently never possible as an upgrade from previous models. So they keep R&D costs down while reaping new product sales' higher margins. Don't get me wrong they make very good speakers; other companies should follow suit in their Marketing strategy.
Probably as a sample of one, I bought Wilson without looking at any marketing or really much knowledge of the brand. I’ve heard a few pairs over the years, went to a Brinkman demo/presentation and they were using Sasha DAW. I thought they sounded fabulous, to my tastes. When it came to changing speakers for a new room, basically my wife chose the Sabrina, a significant factor being she liked the colour. I didn’t read any reviews or marketing, didn’t look at their website either. Obviously I had some awareness of the reputation. I had a demonstration at my dealer during lockdown, there were only the three of us in the building. I’d made my mind up after half an hour and I’ve had no regrets ever since. We had a few minutes spare so we walked around and I showed my wife the Sasha DAW, the design of which she did not like at all. So I sleep in the certainty that I don’t have to worry about speakers anymore, for the simple reason but I would never get it past my wife.

Reactions: spearl8

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
How much do they spend on R&D? I have no idea and don't think it is public knowledge as they are a privately held company. Can you also explain how you can put in completely new drivers and not change the crossover? Better yet how many speaker companies have an upgrade path? I do know in the watt puppy days they did have upgrades. I met Daryl Wilson a few months back. I was super impressed not by his marketing but by his candor and directness. His company is known for its "family" like values toward its skilled American work force. I'm certain if they were made in China, like B&W and so many others they would cost less.
A) It's about relative R&D costs, they rev speakers so often over time it's less R&D
B) Most companies don't offer an upgrade path because - they take the (R&D) time to release a truly new speaker.
C) When did I question their pricing strategy? Clearly it's working for them irrespective of where they're made or if mom, dad, grandma or Uncle Jed design / build them.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Probably as a sample of one, I bought Wilson without looking at any marketing or really much knowledge of the brand. I’ve heard a few pairs over the years, went to a Brinkman demo/presentation and they were using Sasha DAW. I thought they sounded fabulous, to my tastes. When it came to changing speakers for a new room, basically my wife chose the Sabrina, a significant factor being she liked the colour. I didn’t read any reviews or marketing, didn’t look at their website either. Obviously I had some awareness of the reputation. I had a demonstration at my dealer during lockdown, there were only the three of us in the building. I’d made my mind up after half an hour and I’ve had no regrets ever since. We had a few minutes spare so we walked around and I showed my wife the Sasha DAW, the design of which she did not like at all. So I sleep in the certainty that I don’t have to worry about speakers anymore, for the simple reason but I would never get it past my wife.
Happy wife, happy life, enjoy!

Reactions: ssfas

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Most companies don't offer an upgrade path because - they take the (R&D) time to release a truly new speaker.
How about some examples of these exemplar speaker companies you are referring to? I like the Wilson development path. You know every five years +/_ a revised model will come out. Every 15 years or so a completely new line appears when justified. They start at the top and let that inspire the "trickle down" to the less expensive models. Most speaker companies operate this way. Please tell me a time line that you would prefer and why?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
How about some examples of these exemplar speaker companies you are referring to? I like the Wilson development path. You know every five years +/_ a revised model will come out. Every 15 years or so a completely new line appears when justified. They start at the top and let that inspire the "trickle down" to the less expensive models. Most speaker companies operate this way. Please tell me a time line that you would prefer and why?
I can see you're getting touchy so let's leave it at that, and that was not my intent, it was my opinion based on observations over years in audio.

However, to avoid the "See, you can't name any companies" retort, you can look up Vivid audio, Evolution Acoustics and Vandersteen to name just a few who incorporate meaningful, significant changes whereby engineering dictates the next version, not a cycle for continued $. Again, Wilson makes it work, so good on them. Happy listening Scott.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I can see you're getting touchy so let's leave it at that, and that was not my intent, it was my opinion based on observations over years in audio.
If by touchy you mean I prefer comments with substance and validity instead of snarky comments about family businesses " if mom, dad, grandma or Uncle Jed design / build them.", then you are correct.

Reactions: sbo6

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Scott, lighten up. You don't own stock in Wilson. And I thought the Uncle Jed was kinda clever. ;-)

See above for substance and validity and enjoy my friend!

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Scott, lighten up. You don't own stock in Wilson. And I thought the Uncle Jed was kinda clever. ;-)

See above for substance and validity and enjoy my friend!
@ScottK was right. Your Wilson “analysis” shows total lack of knowledge about their R&D process. The creation, testing, proving and incorporating of new technology, particularly drivers and energy management, is an engineering/science based process at Wilson. The fact that they have timelines and goals tied to a logical marketing cycle is a strength, not a weakness.

For a lot of folks shooting spit balls at Wilson is part of the hobby. I think Wilson are strong enough to take it. My single criticism is that they need a more uniformly good dealer network. Dealer demos and dealer setups are often compromised because dealers don’t want to do any more than they have had to do with Vivid, Evolution, Vandersteen, et al. Wilsons take extra effort, but there’s a solid reward.

Reactions: ScottK

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
@ScottK was right. Your Wilson “analysis” shows total lack of knowledge about their R&D process. The creation, testing, proving and incorporating of new technology, particularly drivers and energy management, is an engineering/science based process at Wilson. The fact that they have timelines and goals tied to a logical marketing cycle is a strength, not a weakness.

For a lot of folks shooting spit balls at Wilson is part of the hobby. I think Wilson are strong enough to take it. My single criticism is that they need a more uniformly good dealer network. Dealer demos and dealer setups are often compromised because dealers don’t want to do any more than they have had to do with Vivid, Evolution, Vandersteen, et al. Wilsons take extra effort, but there’s a solid reward.
Great to get the insider scoop from a Wilson R&D employee, thank you.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia

I bought a pair of Wilson. I know nothing about the company, who runs it, how they run it, it's R&D, it's marketing or anything other than it's in Utah.

I have always had excellent service from my dealer, whether demos, loan items or setting up the speakers in my home. Purchasing these speakers was the easiest thing ever, I think it took an hour. I just like to judge the product in front of me, I don't need a back-story. I suspect I'm not alone in this regard. Buying hifi with the wife simplifies matters.

Reactions: sbo6

transaminasi

Jan 16, 2015
North Italy
Which of these amps would you buy to combine with the new Sasha V? I mean without trying first. Just 'audiophile instict' :)
Accuphase C2900+P7500
Accuphase C2900+A80
CH Precision L1+A1.5
Soulution 525+511
Ps: I didn't receive Sasha V for test yet... I hope before end of this month.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Which of these amps would you buy to combine with the new Sasha V? I mean without trying first. Just 'audiophile instict' :)
Accuphase C2900+P7500
Accuphase C2900+A80
CH Precision L1+A1.5
Soulution 525+511
Ps: I didn't receive Sasha V for test yet... I hope before end of this month.
Have heard the Soulution on Wilsons,, not rest...good but would say (personally) your own existing amplification appears to be excellent...Pandora and Evo

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
If it were me, I'd stay with the Gryphon and maybe use the 'savings' toward Alexia V's if you have room?

transaminasi

Jan 16, 2015
North Italy
If it were me, I'd stay with the Gryphon and maybe use the 'savings' toward Alexia V's if you have room?
Have heard the Soulution on Wilsons,, not rest...good but would say (personally) your own existing amplification appears to be excellent...Pandora and Evo
I didn't update signature in this forum... I don't have Gryphon anymore. I sold full set-up except Esoteric N01XD. I sold component to buy a supercar. Then I saved some money and now I can buy another set-up but not too expensive. I think I will buy Sasha V but at the moment I don't know what amp to match them. Probably in the meantime I will buy temporary new Diablo 333 and in this way I can take all the time I need to decide. Probably I will be forced to buy amps in used market.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I didn't update signature in this forum... I don't have Gryphon anymore. I sold full set-up except Esoteric N01XD. I sold component to buy a supercar. Then I saved some money and now I can buy another set-up but not too expensive. I think I will buy Sasha V but at the moment I don't know what amp to match them. Probably in the meantime I will buy temporary new Diablo 333 and in this way I can take all the time I need to decide. Probably I will be forced to buy amps in used market.
If you follow this plan, would love to hear your experience with the Diablo 333 driving the Wilsons.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

transaminasi

Jan 16, 2015
North Italy
Surely I will share this experience.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
I love to listen to my friend‘s system with Sasha Daw and now Mephisto Stereo, earlier with Diablo 300. The step from Diablo 300 to Athena+Mephisto was really astonishing big, much more substance in the bottom region, much more controlled. Never thought to have such a good hearable difference between products of one manufacturer.
I can recommend Gryphon with Wilson, either pre+amp used (everytime a better value) or an Diablo 333 new.

Reactions: Down Under

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I don’t think the Diablo 333 will be refined enough and have enough juice for the Sasha.
if you want a cool integrated I’d look at the audionet Humboldt, I think it would be a good match, very liquid and very low noise, very detailed without imposing it.I had the Diablo 300 and upgraded to the humboldt, it’s night and day.
i wrote a comparison somewhere on this site.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I don’t think the Diablo 333 will be refined enough and have enough juice for the Sasha.
if you want a cool integrated I’d look at the audionet Humboldt, I think it would be a good match, very liquid and very low noise, very detailed without imposing it.I had the Diablo 300 and upgraded to the humboldt, it’s night and day.
i wrote a comparison somewhere on this site.
To me refinement would be a question, but "enough juice" would not be a concern of mine. The Humbolt is reputedly an absolutely tip top integrated at over 2X the price (in the US) of the Diablo 333.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
To me refinement would be a question, but "enough juice" would not be a concern of mine. The Humbolt is reputedly an absolutely tip top integrated at over 2X the price (in the US) of the Diablo 333.
The difference between the old Diablo and the Humboldt was huge.
As for the price difference, the new Diablo is 25k$, I think the market for a second hand Humboldt in Europe is around 30k euros.
I'm actually selling mine since I moved and will build a new system from scratch, probably with the Heisenbergs and some Wilson speakers actually.
If someone is interested in buying my Humboldt, you can DM me, we can ship it to the US.
It's just over a year old and in perfect condition. It's easy to ship since it's in a custom rigid flight case.
I think Wilson speakers are not forgiving, you really need to feed them the best otherwise I think it's complicated to make them work 100%.
I think Sasha deserve better than a Diablo. Better spend time trying to find a good match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing